Change Location of Black Water Tank Flush Nozzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Location of Black Water Tank Flush Nozzle

The BW tank in my Solitude is leaking and will need to be replaced. Grand Design installed the back flush nozzle on the lower end of the tank just above the 3" dump outlet. The flush nozzle should be installed on the opposite (upper) end of the tank so the flushing water can sweep solids/paper toward the dump opening, not away from it. This explains why I can never really get the tank discharge to clear when I dump and back flush the tank.

My dealer will be ordering a new tank from GD sometime soon. I am asking someone at Grand Design to ensure my replacement tank has the back flush fitting mounted on the tank end opposite the discharge opening. I will happily provide the extra 1/2" tubing for the dealer tech.
    2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Originally posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    The BW tank in my Solitude is leaking and will need to be replaced. Grand Design installed the back flush nozzle on the lower end of the tank just above the 3" dump outlet. The flush nozzle should be installed on the opposite (upper) end of the tank so the flushing water can sweep solids/paper toward the dump opening, not away from it. This explains why I can never really get the tank discharge to clear when I dump and back flush the tank.

My dealer will be ordering a new tank from GD sometime soon. I am asking someone at Grand Design to ensure my replacement tank has the back flush fitting mounted on the tank end opposite the discharge opening. I will happily provide the extra 1/2" tubing for the dealer tech.
    You might want to discuss this with Customer Service. GDRV-Megan -- do you agree? (Moving this back to the Plumbing Channel as it is not really a Product Suggestion...)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

GDRV-Megan -- for full understanding of this issue see this post and thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...6197#post16197

Obvious feedback for the factory, too.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You might want to discuss this with Customer Service. GDRV-Megan -- do you agree? (Moving this back to the Plumbing Channel as it is not really a Product Suggestion...)
        I have reached out to Customer Service to look into this. Thanks!

KirbyRVA FYI - I'm hoping to have someone reach out to give you a call.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

I have reached out to Customer Service to look into this. Thanks!

KirbyRVA FYI - I'm hoping to have someone reach out to give you a call.
          Someone did call. Thanks.
          2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Someone did call. Thanks.
            And what did they say?
            Charles and Susan
            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
            Andersen Hitch
            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post

And what did they say?
              The gentleman just wanted to let me know they were aware of my request. He said after the Easter weekend he planned to confer with one of the engineers to see if they planned it that way. He offered a theory that the flush stream would hit the upper end of the tank and wash debris toward the drain. I suggested that might work if there was always good water pressure and the nozzle was designed to produce an adequate stream to do that. I also advised him that the three tank sensors are also mounted on the discharge end of the tank so the back flush nozzle had no chance of hitting those. I told him that I can lay under the tank with water going to the back flush and all I hear is a lazy stream of water and it certainly doesn't sound like it is hitting the upper end of the tank.

It was nice of him to call. I will be anxious to hear what their engineer says next week.
              2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

The gentleman just wanted to let me know they were aware of my request. He said after the Easter weekend he planned to confer with one of the engineers to see if they planned it that way. He offered a theory that the flush stream would hit the upper end of the tank and wash debris toward the drain. I suggested that might work if there was always good water pressure and the nozzle was designed to produce an adequate stream to do that. I also advised him that the three tank sensors are also mounted on the discharge end of the tank so the back flush nozzle had no chance of hitting those. I told him that I can lay under the tank with water going to the back flush and all I hear is a lazy stream of water and it certainly doesn't sound like it is hitting the upper end of the tank.

It was nice of him to call. I will be anxious to hear what their engineer says next week.
                At least they responded. Interested in hearing the final say. I agree with what you propose would work best..... But

From what I've watched on the internet - you need to close the black discharge valve then let the black flush water fill until the black tank is filling up. (I took that as at least 1/2 full. Then open and dump the black tank again. Keep doing this until the black tank runs clear.
                ​​​​​​
                Charles and Susan
                2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                Andersen Hitch
                2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I dump the tank, then meter in 20 gallons of water. I do that twice, then go down to 15 gallons, then10. By that time, it is usually running clear, so then I put in the chemicals, through the toilet and meter in 5 gallons of water.
                  Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                  Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                  2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                  Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                  Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

KirbyRVA
                    The picture attached to post 5 of this discussion https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-need-diagrams is taken through the 3" drain opening of a new tank waiting for assembly at the factory. It shows the flush nozzle on the far end of the tank (opposite the drain connection). This is probably obvious, but I just wanted to clarify.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

So, between reading this thread along with the one referenced by Cate&Rob what is the "final consensus"? I have a very hard time getting a good flush from my black tank and have had to use hot water in the tank and also a power wand in through the vent tube aimed at the drain line in order to rearrange a clog that formed during a dump. My spray nozzle is mounted above the black tank discharge and the best I can see is not a whole lot of anything thru the vent hole. My best results have been from dumping hot water in thru the toilet four gallons at a time about every 10 minutes.
                      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                      Nash County, NC
                      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

ThePowells

There seems to be considerable evidence that Grand Design sometimes puts the flush nozzle at the far end of the tank and sometimes puts it adjacent to the drain gate valve. I think that MeganGDRV-Megan is still working on providing input from Grand Design as to why this is.

I do think that wherever the flush nozzle is located, it's spray ability is a secondary measure to keeping the tank free of clogs. The "solution" to this (quite literally) is lots of water and little or no paper. I use the flush system primarily to refill the black tank with water after dumping. I put 10 gallons of water back into the black tank after dumping. It would not matter where the flush nozzle is for this step. Then, everything put into the toilet falls into a tank of water where it will dissolve before the next dump.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Why did you decide on 10 gallons? I generally put in 5, after putting the liquid chemical and a cup of Dawn and a cup of Calgon. I usually do this the night before we move, in hope that the Dawn and Calgon will be sloshing down the road and keeping the tank relatively clean after dumping.

Maybe I should increase to 10 gallons of water?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
                            Why did you decide on 10 gallons? I generally put in 5, after putting the liquid chemical and a cup of Dawn and a cup of Calgon. I usually do this the night before we move, in hope that the Dawn and Calgon will be sloshing down the road and keeping the tank relatively clean after dumping.

Maybe I should increase to 10 gallons of water?
                            Hi Tom,

Most of our RV time is on an extended stay FHU “snowbird” site in Florida. 10 gallons seems to be the maximum that I can pre-fill the tank for a once-a-week dump. If we are travelling, I do reduce this to about 5 gallons, because travel agitates the tank contents, as you have noted. I do not use any treatments or additives.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks.

Lovin out 303

Comment

Working...
                              X