Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh water tank not emptying completely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Guesthowson Floyd&Tamily

Hi Jim,

This parallel post https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...king-air/page2, particularly the scope pictures attached to post 23, have me wondering if we have some sort of contamination effect going on that is preventing drawing out the last few gallons of water. I guess one or the other or both of us are going to have to pull down the coroplast and take a look . I have "assumed" that the pick-up in my early build Reflection is above the bottom of the tank because of the way it behaves. I have never seen an actual picture of this. Your trailer is a much later build . . . it is difficult to imagine (no pun intended ) that Grand Design would use different configuration water tanks across different products, at the same time.

Rob
    Rob,

I have a scope somewhere if I can find it I may be able to take a look. I put it where I would remember where its at.

Jim

Comment

Hello and good afternoon gentlemen. I’m a new member and haven’t yet officially introduced myself, so, hi! My name is Dave and my wife and I bought our 2020 Transcend 28mks in December. We love the floor plan! So much room and storage space!
      This topic really interested me as I have at least 10 gallons of unused water in my fresh water tank after the pump starts to suck air. I proceeded to pull down the corplast to see what’s up. My tank has a ledge on both long sides near the top to suspend it between two braces, with two straps going underneath. The tank bottom is not flat, rather bellowed down. That is where all the extra water sits. I have the sump area that has been talked about and the drain is not pointing straight down, but at an angle out towards the side of the trailer because of the sagging of the tank. It almost looks like the tank was molded this way but putting braces underneath might be my best option. Thoughts anyone?
      2020 GD Transcend 28MKS
      2018 Toyota Tundra DBL Cab TRD 4X4 Off Road

Comment

Originally posted by Dave28MKS View Post
        Hello and good afternoon gentlemen. I’m a new member and haven’t yet officially introduced myself, so, hi! My name is Dave and my wife and I bought our 2020 Transcend 28mks in December. We love the floor plan! So much room and storage space!
        This topic really interested me as I have at least 10 gallons of unused water in my fresh water tank after the pump starts to suck air. I proceeded to pull down the corplast to see what’s up. My tank has a ledge on both long sides near the top to suspend it between two braces, with two straps going underneath. The tank bottom is not flat, rather bellowed down. That is where all the extra water sits. I have the sump area that has been talked about and the drain is not pointing straight down, but at an angle out towards the side of the trailer because of the sagging of the tank. It almost looks like the tank was molded this way but putting braces underneath might be my best option. Thoughts anyone?
        Welcome to the Technical Forum, Dave.

Can you take (and post) pictures, please? There's a topic in the FORUM USE channel if you're unfamiliar with adding pictures to a post.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Sorry it took a while to get back out to the camper. I hope these pictures help. I’d really like to know what the tank looks like before install.
          2020 GD Transcend 28MKS

Comment

Sorry it took a while to get back out to the camper. I hope these pictures help. I’d really like to know what the tank looks like before install.
            Dave,
            I was having a hard time "seeing" the pictures as they are sideways in the post above. I hope you don't mind that I rotated and resized them.

A picture of my water tank is at the bottom of this post.

The first pic below was originally the third picture in post 34. The angle of the drain is alarming--that's not right. I'm looking at the angle of the axles and coroplast vs the drain. (The drain is screwed onto the tank--it should point straight down.) My conclusion is the tank is not supported correctly. Did you see any metal straps holding up the tank?

Cate&Rob ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dave3 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.2 KB ID:	23287
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Dave1 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	23288

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dave2 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.2 KB ID:	23289

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fresh Water Tank Howson.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	23290
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thank you Howard for fixing the pictures.
              Yes, the angle of the drain is because of the sag in the bottom of the tank. There are 2 straps that are underneath the tank, I think that they are there just as a safeguard from the tank falling out. On top of the tank on both long sides, there is a ledge that is part of the tank. This ledge is what rests on 2 metal braces running width wise on the trailer frame. My tank is not supported like yours.
              Thanks in advance to whatever help you can give me. I really think this is a very poor design. Maybe because it’s a Transcend?
              2020 GD Transcend 28MKS

Comment

Thank you Howard for fixing the pictures.
                Yes, the angle of the drain is because of the sag in the bottom of the tank. There are 2 straps that are underneath the tank, I think that they are there just as a safeguard from the tank falling out. On top of the tank on both long sides, there is a ledge that is part of the tank. This ledge is what rests on 2 metal braces running width wise on the trailer frame. My tank is not supported like yours.
                Thanks in advance to whatever help you can give me. I really think this is a very poor design. Maybe because it’s a Transcend?
                Your Transcend has a larger tank than my 315RLTS! 56 gallon vs 54 gallon. I can't explain the support system as described. TTBOMK a Transcend is constructed on a Lippert chassis like the rest of the GD units, so why would the tank be supported differently? (Rhetorical question.) It's the upper construction (wood in case of the Transcend) that's different.

In my opinion, Dave, the installation (if I'm interpreting correctly) is not right. But before running with my interpretation (which could be utterly wrong) let's wait to read what my fellow (and much more experienced in these matters) moderator, Rob, has to say. Hopefully he logs in soon and sees this thread. There may be other forum members that will chime in too, with their .02.

Howard

P.S. Out of curiosity--did you tow the camper with a full load of water?

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Your Transcend has a larger tank than my 315RLTS! 56 gallon vs 54 gallon. I can't explain the support system as described. TTBOMK a Transcend is constructed on a Lippert chassis like the rest of the GD units, so why would the tank be supported differently? (Rhetorical question.) It's the upper construction (wood in case of the Transcend) that's different.

In my opinion, Dave, the installation (if I'm interpreting correctly) is not right. But before running with my interpretation (which could be utterly wrong) let's wait to read what my fellow (and much more experienced in these matters) moderator, Rob, has to say. Hopefully he logs in soon and sees this thread. There may be other forum members that will chime in too, with their .02.

Howard

P.S. Out of curiosity--did you tow the camper with a full load of water?
                  Thanks so much for your time on this.
                  I’m no artist, but here is approximately what it looks like(side view).

And yes, we did tow with the tank full.
                  2020 GD Transcend 28MKS

Comment

Thanks so much for your time on this.
                    I’m no artist, but here is approximately what it looks like(side view).

And yes, we did tow with the tank full.
                    Your tank is made by Ameri-Kart (I looked it up on the GD Parts website--link on menu bar at the top of this page). The tank in my Reflection is made by Alpha, and yes, they have different molding shapes.

These diagrams are available on the part lookup so reposting here seems OK to me...

Alpha (In my Reflection)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpha.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	23319

Ameri-Kart (In your Transcend)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ameri-Kart.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	23320
                    You can lookup Ameri-Kart on the web. Maybe they will give you the installation criteria for their tank--maybe not. If GD Customer Support can't answer the question (about the support required for the tank) you might consider querying Ameri-Kart.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                    X