Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Tank drop-in observation / question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Tank drop-in observation / question.

I’ve been wondering (and researching) for a long time just why it’s seemingly so important to use only the variety of recommended (and mostly expensive) Black Tank drop-in products. I’ve come across the product, pic attached, and cannot determine why this would not be an effective product for RV use. S C Johnson says the ingredients are; Cleaning agent, carrier, pH adjuster, fragrance, binders, dye, and Chelator, and states contains no phosphates. I’ve found these at local discount stores for 1$ each and if they last only one half of the time claimed, I’m thinking this would be the way to go to save a ton of money. Since I don’t know what I don’t know, I thought it prudent to see who may have more experience than I do on using this type of product in their black tank. All suggestions, experiences, and thoughts much appreciated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1D2F4EA1-CC4E-4DF5-995A-85A61E2CD9D9.jpeg Views:	14 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	45285
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Country Campers; 03-07-2021, 10:50 AM. Reason: Fixed title
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

I wouldn’t want that level of any concentrated chemical sitting on the plastic of the tank. I really doubt the fragrance in a case of those is enough to help with a black tank since they release it over a 30 day period.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

The solution (quite literally) to black tank problems is lots of water put into the tank before anything else. Just like any septic system, if the waste drops into a tank of water and is completely submerged, it will dissolve and dilute with very little odour. No additives are required. I use a volume meter on the black tank flush hose and after dumping and flushing the tank, I put 10 gallons of water into the empty tank through this hose and meter. It is very tedious trying to make up anywhere near the required amount of water with extended flush cycles through the toilet. Pre-filling the tank takes care of this and brief toilet flushes are all that is needed.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Schiefswret I would not use those in a toilet bowl much less the RV tank. Reason is all of those chemicals are not good for rubber seals and other things. Most people who use those long term in toilets are constantly changing the flapper valve because the chemical reacts with the rubber and causes it to leak.

And I think life of those is rated on the volume of water they treat. Say its rated for 3 flushes a day @1.5 gallon per flush. Thats 3*1.5*30 OR 135 gallons of water it will treat.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Every discussion about this deserves mention of the GEO Method (google that). Along with pre-charging the black tank with gallons of fresh water immediately after dumping it as Cate&Rob advised above, adding water softener and Dawn dish soap to that fresh water each few times you dump does seem to help keep the tank clean and relatively fresh, especially if you're moving the trailer after dumping. Some GEO Method advice involves using PineSol rather than dish soap.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
            Every discussion about this deserves mention of the GEO Method (google that). Along with pre-charging the black tank with gallons of fresh water immediately after dumping it as Cate&Rob advised above, adding water softener and Dawn dish soap to that fresh water each few times you dump does seem to help keep the tank clean and relatively fresh, especially if you're moving the trailer after dumping. Some GEO Method advice involves using PineSol rather than dish soap.
            Thanks to all! Good stuff!
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

We have never used any of the drop ins or the bottled stuff that you sometimes get from the dealer on a new purchase. We have always done , as Rob has noted , filled the tanks with about 10 gallons of water after each drain and a few times a year the boss will put in some Dawn dish soap. The extra water helps with sloshing around while traveling and I think keeps things clean inside the tanks.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                We have never used any of the drop ins or the bottled stuff that you sometimes get from the dealer on a new purchase. We have always done , as Rob has noted , filled the tanks with about 10 gallons of water after each drain and a few times a year the boss will put in some Dawn dish soap. The extra water helps with sloshing around while traveling and I think keeps things clean inside the tanks.

Brian
                Thanks Brian!
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...
                X