pipes freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipes freezing

So we live in Iowa and there calling for temps for Tue and Wed night to be around 26 and 30 with daytime highs around 40. Should I be concerned with my pipes freezing? We have had crazy weather this year.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Dennis66

If you don't want to winterize with antifreeze (and I wouldn't for a couple of days) leave the furnace on at night at its lowest setting to provide heat to the underbelly. The "easiest to freeze" situation is with empty tanks and water in the lines. Water in the tanks will provide a thermal mass that will take a lot longer to get down to freezing temperature. Remember that running the furnace also takes considerable 12V battery power to run the blower . . . so, you will need to be plugged into shore power or have another means of charging the battery.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I was thinking same thing, the temps for the 2 nights is calling for 28 deg for about 7 hours each night and daytime highs in 40's. If the tanks are empty what will freeze there? Ill have to get it out of storage and put in my drive to plug in was hoping not to half to do that. I do have a tankless water heater.
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Tanks with water in them are actually a “source of heat” in the underbelly. It takes a lot more time to freeze a tank full of water than a tank with only an inch of water. Even for a few days, $10 of antifreeze and half an hour of time is the “worry free” solution. Probably less money than the propane will cost .

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

So should I just pour some antifreeze into the gray and black tank? Seems to me if there was a small layer of water in the tanks theirs plenty of room for expansion unlike a water line. I think the best thing to do is just bring it home and turn the heat on overnight, I do have tank heaters but not sure if plugging it into the house at 120vac Ill have enough juice to run furnace and tank heaters.
          2021 Reflection 303RLS
          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

The place for the antifreeze is in the water system pipes. You are correct that a small layer of ice in a tank will not likely cause any harm. Many don’t realize that a “completely drained” tank still has about 1/2” of liquid in the bottom. Be cautious about turning on tank heaters on empty tanks. It is the water in the lines that may do damage if it freezes.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I can just run furnace with trailer level but leave slides in correct?
              2021 Reflection 303RLS
              Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Correct. The furnace vents are not in the floor and not subject to getting covered. If you are on shore power, you may want to turn on the AC fan only to help circulate warm air through the unit, or use a portable fan.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                  I can just run furnace with trailer level but leave slides in correct?
                  Correct on a Reflection 303. (For others reading this . . . not always true for all models, depending on where outlets are.)

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yep all in the island, bath and bedroom.
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS
                    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I always worry about the low point drains that hang below the trailer 6 or 7 inches freezing. I just opened them up and then the faucets to let the water drain out of the lines. I'm also leaving the furnace on at 50.

Southern Michigan could also get 6 inches of snow.
                      2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
                      2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

good tip when I get it home Ill do the same thanks
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Got her back home open low point drains and set furnace to 55 deg. Few nights of cold weather better to be safe then sorry.
                          2021 Reflection 303RLS
                          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                            Got her back home open low point drains and set furnace to 55 deg. Few nights of cold weather better to be safe then sorry.
                            Dennis,

My rig is outside now with the heat on since I sanitized the tank and its freezing in Michigan. When I was installing the folding countertop extension almost two weeks ago in my tee shirt I figured we were done with freezing. Nope.

Jim

Comment

Same here in Iowa had 3 nights in the 20' but were looking good now.
                              2021 Reflection 303RLS
                              Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X