Toilet Floor Flange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Floor Flange

I changed my toilet over to a 320 and now my toilet has broken loose from the floor possibly due to just road vibration. Before I dig into it can anyone confirm that the flange and connector pipe is not glued to the black tank and it can be easily removed for replacement. I am suspecting that the bolts have broken the flange.

Thanks
    Reflection 297RSTS
    Ram Laramie CC 2500 Hemi

Originally posted by Cahriad View Post
    I changed my toilet over to a 320 and now my toilet has broken loose from the floor possibly due to just road vibration. Before I dig into it can anyone confirm that the flange and connector pipe is not glued to the black tank and it can be easily removed for replacement. I am suspecting that the bolts have broken the flange.
    The flange should be glued to the pipe but the pipe should not be glued to the tank. There should be a rubber seal that the pipe slides into , Cate&Rob will be along to post a picture of the seal.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Cahriad

I can confirm that on my Reflection 303RLS the floor flange is glued to the pipe and the pipe is inserted into the tank through a rubber grommet with no glue . . . as described in post #2 on this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/moderat...logged-toilets I have observed many trailers under construction at the factory that are built this way. But . . . Grand Design reserves the right to change things based largely on parts availability, so no one can tell you for sure, how your trailer is built.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

[QUOTE=Cate&Rob;n60338]Cahriad

I can confirm that on my Reflection 303RLS the floor flange is glued to the pipe and the pipe is inserted into the tank through a rubber grommet with no glue . . . as described in post #2 on this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/moderat...logged-toilets I have observed many trailers under construction at the factory that are built this way. But . . . Grand Design reserves the right to change things based largely on parts availability, so no one can tell you for sure, how your trailer is built.

Rob[/QUOTE

Cate & Rob, it will not allow me to open the referenced link, says not authorized.
        Reflection 297RSTS
        Ram Laramie CC 2500 Hemi

Comment

[QUOTE=Cahriad;n60360]
          Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Cahriad

Rob[/QUOTE

Cate & Rob, it will not allow me to open the referenced link, says not authorized.
          Try this link 2021 GD Transcend 221RB toilet clog - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com). Rob actually posted a Moderator link in error.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

[QUOTE=Country Campers;n60361]

Try this link 2021 GD Transcend 221RB toilet clog - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com). Rob actually posted a Moderator link in error.

Brian
            Whoops . . . Thanks Brian.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cahriad

The thread that I was thinking of with the picture of the grommet between pipe and tank is this one. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ank-dimensions

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks to everyone, I am on the road for a couple more days. Not looking forward to pulling the bowl. Will try to find the seal/grommet before starting work and have it on hand ready. Again, I am assuming that the seal is readily available at my local RV stores.
                Reflection 297RSTS
                Ram Laramie CC 2500 Hemi

Comment

Thanks to everyone, I am on the road for a couple more days. Not looking forward to pulling the bowl. Will try to find the seal/grommet before starting work and have it on hand ready. Again, I am assuming that the seal is readily available at my local RV stores.
                  I do not think you would have to replace the seal/grommet in the tank unless it is damaged. The toilet pipe should just slide into and out of this grommet.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would think you only need to replace the grommet if it's not pliable, if it has signs of not sealing properly, or if for some reason it has chosen to fuse to the pipe.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

UPDATE

As I suspected the bolts had broken the flange. I am thinking because the 320 is taller and all porcelain versus the plastic OEM, the road vibration was enough to break it.

I am going to replace it with a metal flange. One thing I did note, was that the top of the black tank to the finished floor is 4" yet the down pipe is 8.5" long so it protrudes into the tank at least 4.5". Should I be cutting it back to maybe 6"?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flange.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	60702
                      Reflection 297RSTS
                      Ram Laramie CC 2500 Hemi

Comment

UPDATE

As I suspected the bolts had broken the flange. I am thinking because the 320 is taller and all porcelain versus the plastic OEM, the road vibration was enough to break it.

I am going to replace it with a metal flange. One thing I did note, was that the top of the black tank to the finished floor is 4" yet the down pipe is 8.5" long so it protrudes into the tank at least 4.5". Should I be cutting it back to maybe 6"?

Thanks

Name:	Flange.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	60702
                        I would make sure for certain that the pipe extends that far into the tank , not doubting you just want to be sure. I believe that there is a lip in the grommet/seal in the tank that the pipe is supposed to "seat" on. This lip is pretty small but should be there. Cate&Rob , can you help and make sure that I am thinking right on this? ( or is my brain fried from the heat today).

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers

Brian is correct. The pipe should only go into the grommet until it reaches the lower ridge. See the picture in the thread linked to post 7. If the pipe has been pushed past this ridge, the grommet is likely deformed and should be replaced. If you need to reuse the grommet, cut the pipe so that it only goes an inch or so past the bottom of the grommet.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            Country Campers

Brian is correct. The pipe should only go into the grommet until it reaches the lower ridge. See the picture in the thread linked to post 7. If the pipe has been pushed past this ridge, the grommet is likely deformed and should be replaced. If you need to reuse the grommet, cut the pipe so that it only goes an inch or so past the bottom of the grommet.

Rob
                            The grommet I have is not the one shown in the thread linked. The one on my tank is tapered, when the pipe is inserted everything tightens up and seals. The one I did buy is the same as the linked pic. but it is too small for my tank opening and does not seal.

My seal tapered on the bottom outside where it sits on the tank

Name:	gremmet1.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	60797
                            Tapered on the inside where the pipe inserts

Name:	grommet2.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	60798

When I did pull the flange here is what I found.

Name:	hole1.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	60799

Three of the flange screws were not in the floor. I have no idea how they installed the tank and flange but it looks as if they were off on the location and had to enlarge the hole to make it fit. Trying to install the metal flange I discovered that half of its screws would have no floor beneath them to screw into.

Fortunately there was room enough to add some blocking between the tank and the floor. Now I have something to screw into when the metal flange goes down tomorrow, This pic. better illustrates how far they were off on the hole they drilled.

Name:	hole2.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	60800

I now know there will be a solid foundation under my toilet.

Reflection 297RSTS
                            Ram Laramie CC 2500 Hemi

Comment

Cahriad

Thank-you for the pictures and detailed write-up. This will definitely help others faced with a similar repair. This is exactly how this "owners helping owners" forum is supposed to work!

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X