12v valve for city water shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v valve for city water shut off

I’m looking for the thread about shutting off city water supply when leaving for the day etc. I believe it was one of the Moderators who described installing an elect shut-off valve at the city water inlet, tied into the hot water heater switch. When leaving for the day, they shut off the HWH and that also shuts off the external water. Prevents having a leak in the trailer while gone.
    Interested in where to get the 12v valve, and wiring details. I searched the plumbing section, but couldn’t find it.

Thanks,
    Doug & Barb
    Doug & Barb
    2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
    2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
    No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
    Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

SolitudeAtLast
    Hi Doug & Barb,

This is the valve that I installed and it is connected as you describe . . . nothing wrong with your memory!
    I got the valve through Amazon. Look for the 12V one that draws no current either open or closed . . . but does close when 12V is removed.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2564.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	64144Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.jpeg
Views:	428
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	64145Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.jpeg
Views:	429
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	64146
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

SolitudeAtLast Cate&Rob The concern over turning off the water when gone form your site is well founded. Several times over the years we have seen units with water running out of them and no one around. We always turn off the water when leaving for any length of time, at least if my memory operates as it should.

Rob, that is a great looking shut off and a very good idea to hook it to the hot water heater switch. Is there much reduction of flow with the addition of the valve?

​​​​​​​Dave
      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Thanks Rob! Do you remove the valve when setting up or sanitizing, or anytime the HWH has been drained, so that you don’t turn it on when empty in order to open the water valve?
        Doug
        Doug & Barb
        2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
        No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.

Comment

Hi Doug & Dave,

The ball valve opens to essentially the ID of the Pex water system, so there is no noticeable restriction. As a side comment . . . when I replaced all the soft hose in my plumbing system, I re-routed the all-Pex lines to clear a future need to remove the furnace (my 2015 furnace does not have an exterior access panel). This added a lot of elbows and I was expecting a noticeable flow reduction, but this has turned out to be insignificant.

Whenever I drain the water heater, I always turn off the 120V breaker in the panel . . . just to be sure that the electric element can't be accidentally turned on. To allow "city" water into the RV (even for filling the tank or winterizing with antifreeze) the electric water heater switch has to be turned on to also open this valve. As long as the heating element breaker is off, this will not cause any harm.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob
            Rob, The first picture showing the valve, where are your 3 drian valves??

Sorry about the tread hijack.

Steve
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Superduty; 08-23-2021, 01:25 PM. Reason: Notifing Rob
            Steve
            2018 Reflection 303
            2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
            Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Cate&Rob Thanks for the further info. Seems I may have a new project at some point when we get a home again since we are full timing while relocating.

Dave
              flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
                Cate&Rob
                Rob, The first picture showing the valve, where are your 3 drian valves??

Sorry about the tread hijack.

Steve
                Hi Steve,

This picture was taken “mid project” on the complete water and drain system redesign/rebuild. The three drain valve handles are back in their original location . . . with different cable routing to operate the valves more easily.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, where did you make wire connections, at the +12v on the HWH itself, and other wire grounded to frame? I assume you didn’t run the 2 wires all the way up to the control panel? And, is an in-line fuse needed?
                  Doug
                  Doug & Barb
                  2020 Solitude 377MBS-R

Comment

SolitudeAtLast
                    Hi Doug,

I did connect to power directly at the panel switch . . . partly because (at the time) I was not exactly sure how I was going to control this valve. You could splice into the wiring to the water heater for both power and ground, but (in my case) the main panel is only about 8 ft away, so was actually cleaner to make the electrical connections there. I fused the valve with a small (3A?) inline fuse.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We operate from our pump and only use city water to refill the fresh water tank. Easy and convenient to turn off the pump on the way out the door, better water pressure and is tell tale sign if a leak occurs while around.
                      Regards Bruce & Lin An
                      Our Two Akitas Kenji & Suki
                      2019 Solitude 310GK/R
                      2015 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo Diesel With.AISIN
                      Tranny

Comment

Originally posted by Hermes View Post
                        We operate from our pump and only use city water to refill the fresh water tank. Easy and convenient to turn off the pump on the way out the door, better water pressure and is tell tale sign if a leak occurs while around.
                        This is certainly a viable alternative . . . if you don't mind listening to the pump every time you open a faucet. The benefit of using "city" water pressure is no pump noise. Agreed that there are parks where their water pressure is very low, but we have seldom encountered this.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hermes

Hi Bruce. The camper is permanent on our campsite, and we spend 4-5 winter months there. Being permanent, it’s less hassle and work to use city water than monitoring and refilling the fresh tank; and would put a lot of wear on the 12v pump. And we have pretty good water pressure. Campground is on the city water supply. Also one less thing for DW to deal with. Keeping track of black & gray tanks, dumping them, black tank flush etc is plenty without worrying about running out of water. But, you point is well taken that just using the fresh tank and pump allows you achieve the desired result using the pump switch.

Regards,

Doug
                          Doug & Barb
                          2020 Solitude 377MBS-R

Comment

Working...
                          X