Keeping the Tank Drain Pulls Operating Smoothly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping the Tank Drain Pulls Operating Smoothly

At 9 months old, the tank drain cable pull for my kitchen sink grey tank became extremely hard to operate. Thankfully, Grand Design paid to have this fixed under warranty. The tech informed me that the original valve was operating smoothly and easily, but the cable pull had become extremely hard to operate. I'm guessing that water and/or dirt got into the cable which caused the problem. I decided to try to prevent further water/dirt from getting into the cables which operate the tank drains.

My solution is to make a weather-proof box to surround the ends of the cables/pulls in order to keep the elements out of the cables. The project is easy. One challenge I faced which was easily overcome with a die-grinder was to flatten the center ridge inside of the weather-proof box so that the area of the center pull was flat. The other challenge was making sure the holes were drilled in the right place (My rig has the holes spaced apart exactly 3 inches). The drilled holes in the box are around 9/16 in diameter. I will use clear silicone caulking to keep the holes drilled into the box water-resistant. (Haven't done that yet). I'm taking a short trip to the Shenandoah National Park this weekend, so I'll see how the box hold up to the bouncing around of the RV. Nothing is supporting the box besides the three cable pulls.

Hopefully, this solution will solve the issue and keep the cables working smoothly.

Note that the box I used was purchased off of Amazon (QILIPSU Clear Hinged Cover Stainless Steel Latch 285x195x130mm Junction Box with Mounting Plate, Universal IP67 Project Box Waterproof DIY Electrical Enclosure, ABS Plastic Grey (11.2"x7.7"x5.1" CC)).

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_11994.jpg Views:	3 Size:	258.4 KB ID:	79361

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pull Box 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.1 KB ID:	79362 Click image for larger version  Name:	Pull Box 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	79363

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_11992.jpg Views:	3 Size:	135.5 KB ID:	79364

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pull Box 5.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.6 KB ID:	79365
    Last edited by howson; 03-17-2022, 06:11 PM.
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Great solution to your problem. Looks good too. That could keep some prankster from pulling your valves. Preventing you from getting a nasty bath when taking a sewer cap off to hook up a hose.

Comment

Jimmer -- that's a creative and new approach to a very old problem. I hope you'll post an update a year from now with whether it worked or not. As owners go and get their campers out of storage, I'd wager there will be a LOT of posts about hard (or impossible)-to-pull cables.

Howard

P.S This is going in the Mod channel!
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Jimmer - I can't see from your photos, but how are your tank handles braced? Do they come through the frame? A secondary plate? I would like to replicate your mod in some fashion, but my handles are held in place with individual strips of ~2" banding.

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Looks very nice! I have had 3 GD 5r's. One thing I found is the cable shaft that attaches to the handle will get rusty. I put waterproof grease on them and worked them in and out while adding a little more grease. Problem solved and moisture is repelled also.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
            Jimmer - I can't see from your photos, but how are your tank handles braced? Do they come through the frame? A secondary plate? I would like to replicate your mod in some fashion, but my handles are held in place with individual strips of ~2" banding.

Mike
            NoPeeking Mike, I have three tabs welded onto the frame which hold the pull handles in place. Here is a picture from the back of two of them. You don't have the same type of tabs welded to your frame? Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Box.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	79726
            Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
            2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
            2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post

NoPeeking Mike, I have three tabs welded onto the frame which hold the pull handles in place. Here is a picture from the back of two of them. You don't have the same type of tabs welded to your frame? Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Box.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	79726
              Many thanks for the reply and pic. My valve handles are tab-supported, as well. Unfortunately, my handles are not nicely grouped together (as yours are). I have the black and one grey situated on either side of the sewer outlet and the second grey fore of the slide. Any containment I use would likely have to be supported by that single tab. I'll keep noodling on it...

Mike
              Mike & Sonya
              Blue Ox SwayPro
              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

NoPeeking Mike, you could possibly install a couple of pieces of angle iron to the bottom flange of the frame to assist in supporting the boxes.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 Joseph, thank you...fashioning angle iron supports will work, but growing into a little bigger mod than willing to take on and suspect I would be above my tool/skill limits. It would be ideal to enclose the handle hardware, but I'm thinking maybe not the most practical in my setup. For now, I will continue to lube the bejeebers out of them for smooth(er) operation.

Mike
                  Mike & Sonya
                  Blue Ox SwayPro
                  2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

NoPeeking I was thinking self tapping screws or bolt with locknut not welding the brackets. I do not have a welding machine at this time, so i am limited to bolting everything.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X