Water Heater Not Igniting - Solitude 375RES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Not Igniting - Solitude 375RES

We have a Suburban 12 gallon water heater and the propane side of it quite working (electric is fine). There's no spark, but I can smell gas getting through. I tried replacing the ignitor, no change. Then I tried replacing the thermostat, still no change. I'm thinking the next thing might be the circuit/control board, which is more expensive and harder to get to. If you think that is the next step, any suggestion as to which one to order? Planning on getting one through Amazon. Thanks for your help!
    Bob Nothnagel
    2018 Solitude 375RES
    2014 Ford F350 DRW
    B&W Companion 20K Hitch

Originally posted by bobnoth View Post
    We have a Suburban 12 gallon water heater and the propane side of it quite working (electric is fine). There's no spark, but I can smell gas getting through. I tried replacing the ignitor, no change. Then I tried replacing the thermostat, still no change. I'm thinking the next thing might be the circuit/control board, which is more expensive and harder to get to. If you think that is the next step, any suggestion as to which one to order? Planning on getting one through Amazon. Thanks for your help!
    To comply with the Heartland Owner's Forum restrictions I can't post a direct link to their troubleshooting guide, but if you enter "Water Heater Troubleshooting & Repair Suburban heartland" into google their PDF will be the first one on the list. Excellent document from what I can tell.

If your board is bad, I recommend giving Dinosaur Electronics a call to ensure you get the right board. https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/index.htm
    Last edited by howson; 12-01-2019, 10:38 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You can smell gas, no spark.

While the electrode is the simplest and least expensive item to replace it is hardly ever the electrode. We replace a lot of boards every year, and maybe one igniter.

EDIT: same advice applies to furnaces, if there is no spark replace the board first. The igniters are seldom the issue.
      Last edited by colan; 12-01-2019, 07:48 PM.
      Colan Arnold
      2016 Momentum 397TH
      Full time since 2016

Comment

Thanks guys! I will work on replacing the board, and will check with Dinosaur to order one of theirs. I appreciate the advice!
        Bob Nothnagel
        2018 Solitude 375RES
        2014 Ford F350 DRW
        B&W Companion 20K Hitch

Comment

Which Dinosaur board:

Suburban water heater: UIB-S or UIB-64

Dometic/Atwood water heater: UIB-64

Dometic/Atwood and Suburban furnace: Fans 50 Plus Pins
          Colan Arnold
          2016 Momentum 397TH
          Full time since 2016