Black tank leak brand new Solitude - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black tank leak brand new Solitude - Help

One month old Solitude and we are on the road for another week in Newfoundland. Trailer has an odour because of it and there is liquid on the insulation. Don't know what to do right now for one of the few times since owning an RV. Traded the problem free Reflection for this and a shower leak, screws coming up through the bedroom floor but this one takes the cake. Luckily it is pretty chilly here. Only thing I can think of is to open up the belly here and pull out the insulation without getting soaked. Better suggestions welcome. I cant upload a picture that shows the disgusting mess but I think you get the idea.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Calbar -- ugh. Your action plan seems reasonable to me. After the coroplast comes down (and contaminated insulation removed) flush out the black tank as thoroughly as possible. Unfortunately using the campground facilities may be the best option for when someone has to "go" until that tank is fixed. Only other option I can think of is buying a temporary portable toilet (with disposable bags) and set it up in the shower.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Rob,

Sorry to learn this. Regardless of when/where the leak gets fixed, you are going to have to drain and flush the area first. A location to do this is always a problem. Campgrounds and dealerships don't want this mess on their property (for understandable reasons). I would start by dumping and repeatedly flushing the tank. Then you may have to move to a location where you can spread a tarp and open the underbelly. Solitudes have a layer of insulation laying directly on the coroplast (which Reflections do not have). This insulation is going to be contaminated, but the good thing is that it will help to absorb what has leaked from the black tank. Gather up the tarp and contents and into a dumpster. With the contaminated insulation gone, you should be able to hose flush the underbelly area before closing up the coroplast. If you are at a remote location when you open the coroplast to remove the insulation, have a full tank of water so that you can thoroughly flush the underbelly using the onboard pump and outside shower hose.

Unless the source of the leak is easily fixable when you have the coroplast down, you will have to use other facilities for the balance of your trip.

(another) Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Howard and Rob. My wife doesn't want me touching. She is rightfully concerned about warranty. Dumping and flushing the tank is the best I think I will be able to do right now. Our dealer is going to need to deal with this I think. Yes the insulation is soaked. I will be giving our dealer a call on Monday and see what they say.

Dream trailer just turned into a nightmare as my wife just said.

Rob

Rob & Barb
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I hope you have a better dealer than most . . .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
            Thanks Howard and Rob. My wife doesn't want me touching. She is rightfully concerned about warranty. Dumping and flushing the tank is the best I think I will be able to do right now. Our dealer is going to need to deal with this I think. Yes the insulation is soaked. I will be giving our dealer a call on Monday and see what they say.

Dream trailer just turned into a nightmare as my wife just said.

Rob
            No argument from me on the warranty issue...but...water damage left unchecked for some time can cause further damage or issue. IMHO and worth about .02, I'd drop the coroplast and remove the damaged insulation (letting it air out). That minor work shouldn't cause a warranty issue. An email to GD Customer Service (stating what's being done and why along with the VIN and pictures) should be more than enough to satisfy any concern.

Please report back on what caused the failure.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

No argument from me on the warranty issue...but...water damage left unchecked for some time can cause further damage or issue. IMHO and worth about .02, I'd drop the coroplast and remove the damaged insulation (letting it air out). That minor work shouldn't cause a warranty issue. An email to GD Customer Service (stating what's being done and why along with the VIN and pictures) should be more than enough to satisfy any concern.

Please report back on what caused the failure.
              Thanks Howard. This is a concern for sure. Just not sure where I will be able to do it on vacation either.

I will let the members knows failure once I know.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                I hope you have a better dealer than most . . .

Rob
                This is a problem concerns too. Second trailer from the guys up north and they aren't stellar for sure.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

This is a problem concerns too. Second trailer from the guys up north and they aren't stellar for sure.

Rob
                  I forgot that I know who you dealer is . . . LOL! I haven’t had service work done there in years . . . so, I can’t comment on their current service department. Building on Howard’s input . . . at best, they are not likely going to be able to get your trailer in for service right away, so you may not want to wait in the summer heat to at least get the contaminated insulation removed and the area flushed. The service department will thank you for doing this and it will make the trailer more livable til it is repaired. It is also possible that you can determine what’s wrong once the coroplast is dropped.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Calbar
                    Hi Rob,
                    See this related thread about a cracked black tank in a Solitude . . . may be similar to your situation. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lack-tank-leak If the crack is up high on the tank as shown in the picture on the linked thread, you may be able to use a partial fill of the tank if stationary on a FHU site and you can dump before moving.
                    Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Calbar
                      Hi Rob,
                      See this related thread about a cracked black tank in a Solitude . . . may be similar to your situation. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lack-tank-leak If the crack is up high on the tank as shown in the picture on the linked thread, you may be able to use a partial fill of the tank if stationary on a FHU site and you can dump before moving.
                      Rob
                      Thanks Rob. I saw this one as well. Fortunately or unfortunately so far my tank has not been more than 1/3 full since we kept moving location during the trip. I talked to my dealer and they had me put a pin hole (1/8') or so hole in the coroplast to let some of the liquid drain. I am still trying to get a date from them for this and the multitude of other issues sorted out but that will be another thread.

Rob
                      Rob & Barb
                      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Just received the call from the dealer and they replaced the tank valve which was the source of the leak. They replaced all of the wet insulation as well. Now just time to pick it up and try it again and hopefully all is good now with the leak no more. Fingers crossed.

Rob
                        Rob & Barb
                        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Working...
                        X