Toilet flush valve leaks when lightly depressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet flush valve leaks when lightly depressed

On our 2022 Imagine 2600RB, when lightly depressing the Toilet flush valve to put some water into the bowl, water leaks from the valve area. It does not leak if you push the foot pedal all the way down, only if you depress it a little to open the valve but not open the Toilet flapper valve.

It does not leak otherwise. I am suspected water is escaping from the valve actuator around the plastic push button.

Anyone else experience this? I hate to pay $75 for a new valve since this one is less than a year old. We bought the Imagine last November and only used it 5 short trips so far.

This appears to be the same valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fdfdggg.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	96303
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    F150 Lariat 5.0L, 3.55, HD Tow Package
    Dallas, Texas area

Hi Bob,

You do not specify which make of toilet you have, but I suspect the leak is from the vent in the vacuum break. Water pressure is supposed to close this vent, but if it is sticking a little, the low flow/pressure of slightly opening the water valve as you describe, may not close this vacuum break vent. If you have a Thetford toilet, the vacuum break is the centre thing in this picture.

Rob

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	96306
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Bob Davis2

Our Thetford toilet is actually doing the exact same thing, although it's not every time you actuate the pedal. The leak for us was on the floor just under the pdeal. I managed to find a similar valve kit at a local dealer, just for the Thetford AM ii toilet, as opposed to your Dometic, and it was $30-$40 CAD.

This is the kit I ended up getting, just on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Thetford-42049.../dp/B005G20GRY

I'm surprised yours is $75 (USD?), it's here on Amazon for $34CAD
      https://a.co/d/h9NlkYX
      maybe see if you can source the part elsewhere?

I haven't installed the new valve yet, likely will in the spring.
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
        Bob Davis2

Our Thetford toilet is actually doing the exact same thing, although it's not every time you actuate the pedal. The leak for us was on the floor just under the pdeal. I managed to find a similar valve kit at a local dealer, just for the Thetford AM ii toilet, as opposed to your Dometic, and it was $30-$40 CAD.

This is the kit I ended up getting, just on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Thetford-42049.../dp/B005G20GRY

I'm surprised yours is $75 (USD?), it's here on Amazon for $34CAD
        https://a.co/d/h9NlkYX
        maybe see if you can source the part elsewhere?

I haven't installed the new valve yet, likely will in the spring.

Thanks for this info. I will have to get the books out to see which model of toilet we have. It is a porcelain fixture I know that and here is a picture of it. Yes, the leak is just under the pedal and it is intermittent as well but if you just barely press on the pedal, water leaks from beneath the pedal. I will get more info on the precise model we have.

Also thaks to Cate & Rob for that info on the vacuum break. Would a leak in the vacuum break show up beneath the pedal?

$75 is at the dealer. Nice markup right?

Name:	dfdfdfdfff.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	96320
        2022 Imagine 2600RB
        Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Davis2 View Post
          Would a leak in the vacuum break show up beneath the pedal?
          I would expect a vacuum break leak to show up on the floor behind the toilet . . . but it could be following the tube to the pedal valve and appearing under the pedal. Also possible that the pedal valve is leaking . . . but this would not usually be at only partial opening as you describe. There should be a label on the back of the toilet to describe exactly what model it is. You should be able to get a picture of this label with a phone camera.

Rob

Name:	IMG_1210.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	96341

Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Your toilet is definitely a Dometic, but can’t tell from the angle pic was taken whether the 320 long bowl, or smaller 310.
            2022 3100RD
            2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
            Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
              Your toilet is definitely a Dometic, but can’t tell from the angle pic was taken whether the 320 long bowl, or smaller 310.
              It is a Dometic Model 310 for sure.
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Bob, try depressing the valve fully then releasing it slowly till the ball in the tank closes. This may trip the vacuum breaker and prevent the water from escaping. Not a long term solution, but will at least help narrow down the issue. And with your unit being a 2022, it may still be under warranty, pull out the paperwork and see if it's 1, 2, or more years.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  Bob, try depressing the valve fully then releasing it slowly till the ball in the tank closes. This may trip the vacuum breaker and prevent the water from escaping. Not a long term solution, but will at least help narrow down the issue. And with your unit being a 2022, it may still be under warranty, pull out the paperwork and see if it's 1, 2, or more years.

Will do next week when we retrieve it from the storage unit. I plan to check the screws holding the valve in place as well. I think I could also pull the valve out from the commode and watch it manually while pressing the actuator button. Only 11 months old.
                  2022 Imagine 2600RB
                  Dallas, Texas area

Comment

The dealer addressed this problem for us when I took the Imaine in to have the slide out sag evaluated. The tech changed out the flush valve but the Service Advisor said told him it only leaked when barely pressed to fill the bowl with water. So the Tech pressurized the water system using the pump and reported that the pump would not cycle. Suspected a leak somewhere. Pulled the underbelly in the back and hooked water up to the black tank flusher port. Said water was leaking from the black tank flusher connection to the tank. Cut the crimp band off of the hose connection and found the fitting loose. Tightened the connection to the black tank and and reinstalled the flush tube and tested ok.

So I am not sure if these two systems, ( the toilet flush valve and the Black tank flush system) are related. But they said the original problem of the Flush valve leaking near the handle when barely pressed is fixed. I will have to see if it is fixed.
                    2022 Imagine 2600RB
                    Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Bob Davis2 -- no, they are not related. The black tank flush system's check valve (the usual suspect when there's leaks in this system) is isolated from any other portion of the plumbing in your camper. Typical diagram of the system below.

Name:	Black Flush Diagram.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	98417
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the info Mr. Howson! The Tech said he had filled the black tank with water while testing the flusher to see if it was leaking. Then had to dump the black tank. It could be that he saw the leak with the tank full. I never witnessed any leaking from the underbelly during our camping trips. I wonder how close to the top of the Black tank is the fitting for the Tank Flush? The water in the Black tank had to be higher than the Fitting to leak I suppose. I hope it is fixed, black tank leaks are not good.

Name:	fdsfdsfsdfsdfds.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	98443
                        2022 Imagine 2600RB
                        Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Bob, I wonder if the Service writer wrote it wrong or if the tech mis read the issue. The term flush valve does apply to both devices. Tech probably has seen more black tank vacuum breakers leaking than toilet valves so that was his go to place to look for an issue.

Note: I did have a toilet that would leak behind the toilet when the Tanked HWH was initially heating due to pressure build in the system.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Bob, I wonder if the Service writer wrote it wrong or if the tech mis read the issue. The term flush valve does apply to both devices. Tech probably has seen more black tank vacuum breakers leaking than toilet valves so that was his go to place to look for an issue.

Note: I did have a toilet that would leak behind the toilet when the Tanked HWH was initially heating due to pressure build in the system.

Joseph, there was some confusion on this the Service Advisor told me. He said the Tech initially just changed out the Toilet Flush valve on the foot pedal. Then he flushed it over and over and came back and told the Service Advisor, "no leaks when flushing". The Advisor told him, "no it was only leaking at the pedal when you just barely pressed the pedal to fill the bowl with water". The Tech then went back to evaluate it again. That is when during further testing of the system he found that the TANK FLUSHER fitting on the black tank was leaking. I think it was because he had filled the black tank with water during the toilet flushing testing.

So I don't really know what transpired, but sounds like the Tech in going further found another problem and fixed it. At least we can rule out the Toilet Flush valve now. I haven't had the chance yet to check the work. It rained heavy here all day yesterday and most of last night. The wife and I had to hook it up in the pouring rain and I am proud to say we didn't get into a fist fight.
                            2022 Imagine 2600RB
                            Dallas, Texas area

Comment

That makes more sense.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...