Two Questions about Winterizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Questions about Winterizing

I have a 2021 303RLS and in the process of winterizing it for the second winter
    Question #1: I used 40 psi air to blow out the water thru the low point drains. Then closed the drains and used the pump to push antifreeze thru the fixtures, hot and cold, one at at time, i.e.on demand Water Heater, panel shower, kitchen, bath faucets, and toilet. When I tried the inside shower, I couldn't get the antifreeze to flow even though I could hear the pump running and plenty of antifreeze in the jug.
    Same thing last year. Must have been lucky last winter that shower didn't freeze.
    Why doesn't pump push antifreeze through the shower???

Question #2: What to do to winterize black water flush line? I connected short hose to black flush line input, poured small amount of antifreeze in hose but it wouldn't go in. I then used lung power to try and blow it in, no avail. I disconnected hose and used 40 psi air hoping to blow out any water trapped in line.
    Is there anything else I could have done???

I live in Wisconsin and it's going to get cold so I hope everything is done correctly.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

JIM

Jim & Dot
    Richfield, WI.
    2021 Reflections 303RLS 5th wheel
    2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab w/Duramax

Jim-Dot

No reason I can think of for the anti-freeze not coming out of the shower. The only difference I can remotely think of is the height...but that shouldn't be an issue for the pump unless there's a lot of air still in the lines that the pump is compressing? Just spit-balling...I really have no idea. Cate&Rob?

For winterizing the black tank flush line, use an external pump. I'd use a "Pump in a Box" (first documented bytrkester ). My version is here: https://gdrvowners.com/tools-parts-o...9883#post79883

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Possible issue with the shower is the shower head. Remove it and see if the antifreeze will flow out of the hose without a shower head.

for the black flush I just give it a blast of compressed air and all has been well.

Comment

I usually have the shower head laying on the floor of the shower and barely open the valves when pumping in antifreeze. One trick that I have done is pour about 4 gallons of antifreeze in a 5 gallon bucket and set that bucket in the pass thru or on top af another bucket to reduce the "pull" needed by the pump, this way you do not need to keep changing jugs and loosing prime in the pump.

As far as the black tank flush line I just use compressed air, a little shot and all is good. This line "should" not hold any water as it is designed to drain both ways when not in use. Also do not forget to open the low point drains a little when done winterizing to allow the antifreeze to trickle out so you know those lines are full as well, remember the rear spray port also if you have one of those.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jim-Dot
          I use one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No mess since it's a closed container and good for storage of leftover antifreeze.

Just fill it up and put in the pass thru as Country Campers mentioned or a platform outside.

Terry
          Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
          2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
          2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Jim-Dot Is is possible that the shower head is turned to the "off" position? Not sure if all have it, but mine has a on/off slider button right on the head.
            Ottertail, Minnesota
            2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
            2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-Dot View Post
              I have a 2021 303RLS and in the process of winterizing it for the second winter
              Question #1: I used 40 psi air to blow out the water thru the low point drains. Then closed the drains and used the pump to push antifreeze thru the fixtures, hot and cold, one at at time, i.e.on demand Water Heater, panel shower, kitchen, bath faucets, and toilet. When I tried the inside shower, I couldn't get the antifreeze to flow even though I could hear the pump running and plenty of antifreeze in the jug.
              Same thing last year. Must have been lucky last winter that shower didn't freeze.
              Why doesn't pump push antifreeze through the shower???

Question #2: What to do to winterize black water flush line? I connected short hose to black flush line input, poured small amount of antifreeze in hose but it wouldn't go in. I then used lung power to try and blow it in, no avail. I disconnected hose and used 40 psi air hoping to blow out any water trapped in line.
              Is there anything else I could have done???

I live in Wisconsin and it's going to get cold so I hope everything is done correctly.
              Thanks in advance for your replies.

JIM
              I can't see any reason why the shower would not flow anti freeze either unless the shower head is in the off position as others have suggested.

For the black tank flush I just connect my blue coiled hose to the outside shower and the black tank flush and get a shot of anti freeze in like that.. I like Howards idea though so I don't run the possibility of contaminating the fresh water system if something goes wrong with the check valve in the tank flush. I sanitize anyway when I de-winterize but probably best not to take a chance.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Regarding the shower head I remove it from the hose as not to spray antifreeze all over. That way I can direct water//antifreeze down the drain. As far as the pump not pulling up to the shower because the antifreeze is too low. I place my jug next to the Nautilus panel which is higher than the fresh water tank and we get plenty of water for a shower using the pump.

I thought I saw somewhere on the forum about removing something from the water inlet. Any response on this?

Thanks again,
                JIM
                Jim & Dot
                Richfield, WI.
                2021 Reflections 303RLS 5th wheel
                2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab w/Duramax

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Regarding the shower head I remove it from the hose as not to spray antifreeze all over. That way I can direct water//antifreeze down the drain. As far as the pump not pulling up to the shower because the antifreeze is too low. I place my jug next to the Nautilus panel which is higher than the fresh water tank and we get plenty of water for a shower using the pump.

I thought I saw somewhere on the forum about removing something from the water inlet. Any response on this?

Thanks again,
                  JIM
                  Jim - what sort of connection does the shower head have with the hose? Does it screw off with threads? If, instead, it has a quick disconnect of some sort, they often have a valve which is closed when it's disconnected. Mine is a threaded connection. If you are getting antifreeze flow to the faucets, I don't know what else would explain the shower not flowing. The electric pump has way more than enough head pressure to pull/push it. ???
                  Ottertail, Minnesota
                  2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                  2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Thanks again,
                    JIM
                    Reverse the screen on the city water inlet, Jim. When that's done the cone will keep the inlet valve open so the pump doesn't need to fight to get it open.

Just don't forget to reverse the screen back to it's normal position when you're done winterizing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	this valve.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	96616

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                    X