Secondary connection on slideout motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary connection on slideout motor

So I know the hall error code has been discussed. But I am on my third motor and third wiring harness within a year on the same motor. And everytime it gives me error code 8 motor one. I swapped the wires at the box underneath and it switched to motor 2. Leaving me to believe the box is working. I have a 379fl solitude. Is there a secondary connection somewhere for the motor that I am missing?? I just replaced the harness again and it worked one time. So not sure where to go from here

When you are replacing the harness is this the complete harness from the controller to the motor?

What is the condition of the harness that you removed? Is there any noticeable issues with the harness?

Have you tried to run the harness from the controller straight to the motor? This can be done around the outside and thru the wiper seal maybe.

With this many issues and replacements I am wondering what the issue actually is.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yes it runs straight from the box through two holes and up the wall and plugs in to the motor. I haven’t seen any knicks or noticeable cuts or wear spots on previous wires. The one I put in today I plugged into the motor and controller. Reset the controller. Ran it out. And it threw the code again. I unhooked it and tried to run the slide to make sure I was going to the right motor thinking I was working on the wrong one. I haven’t tried running it through the window or anything. But I assumed running it through the floor would be the same. I’m at a loss. I called Lippert and they said there could be a secondary connection at the bottom of the slide. But I don’t know how or where since it runs straight from the controller to the motor. I don’t know if even since the controller showed error on opposite motor when I switched the wires if maybe it could be bad??

Comment

Might be a crazy question, but I only ask since it sounds like the motor has been swapped out a few times and perhaps was missed. Anyways, have you verified that the motor is fully seated on the bearing block, and that the retainer screw is in place? If not, I could see how the motor would not being held in place, and starts to 'free spin', essentially pulling on the wiring and twisting it up. Again, I could be way out there
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

The retainer screw from the outside is in place I believe. I’ll have to recheck. Are you talking about the wires coming out of the top of the motor??

Comment

Originally posted by AaronC View Post
            The retainer screw from the outside is in place I believe. I’ll have to recheck. Are you talking about the wires coming out of the top of the motor??
            Correct, I was talking about the wires coming out of the motor. I forget specifically where I saw it on YouTube, might have been the My RV Works video I linked below but I cannot recall for sure, where he talks about encountering a motor that had spun free and damaged the wiring.

https://youtu.be/cxEYSstvICI
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I’ll look at the wiring tomorrow. Thank you. I’ll look at about anything at this point

Comment

I don’t know if it matters. But I forgot to say that if I reset the box it will run in or out one time. And then throws the error code after each run. But will work if it’s reset

Comment

I wonder if you have 2 different motor ratio's. they make a 300:1 and a 500:1, if the "new" motor ratio does not match the other side, no telling what it will do to the system as far as errors.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

I am leaning towards the controller or even battery voltage. How good is your battery? Maybe the battery power connection to the controller. Having changed out the motors and cables so many times they should be eliminated. Maybe the wrong motor as stated above.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      I wonder if you have 2 different motor ratio's. they make a 300:1 and a 500:1, if the "new" motor ratio does not match the other side, no telling what it will do to the system as far as errors.
                      I was thinking along the same lines, Joseph, but a more likely scenario is a generation-gap in the 300:1 series. The OP notes a motor was changed. If there's a generation difference between the motors (even though both are "300:1") it could cause an issue.

The original "300:1" motor was actually 296:1. The next generation was 294:1 which is also the same ratio on the new motors.

If AaronC can find the RPO number (a "variant code sticker") he can call Lippert to confirm what motor is supposed to be used with his slide assembly, and then confirm that both motors in the slide are in fact the correct model.

Click image for larger version  Name:	variant code sticker.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.0 KB ID:	106580

Click image for larger version  Name:	motors.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	106578

There are also multiple generations of controllers, too. While he's verifying the motors with Lippert confirming the controller is the right version is suggested, too.

Note the pics above and below were taken from the Lippert Technical Institute's Schwintek Webinar video and handout. There may be more current information as I took this course months ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	controllers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.1 KB ID:	106579

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson

In the picture showing the motors, the 2 middle 300:1 have a current and original label. Are these actually the same generation and both are truly 300:1 ratios? Just with a different label?
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by AaronC View Post
                          I’ll look at the wiring tomorrow. Thank you. I’ll look at about anything at this point
                          Other than a visual inspection, did you actually check continuity in the wiring harnesses you have replaced? However, it's just hard to believe you could get 3 defective harnesses.

2020 Reflection 273MK
                          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                            howson

In the picture showing the motors, the 2 middle 300:1 have a current and original label. Are these actually the same generation and both are truly 300:1 ratios? Just with a different label?
                            The actual 294:1 ratio in these "300:1" motors are the same, but if I remember correctly the difference is how the wires are attached to the top of the motor. In the old version (original label) they were soldered on and subject to failure. I can't recall the exact difference, but the way the wires are connected at the motor changed to alleviate the known problem with the old connection method.

Again, going from memory so some of that info could be slightly off-target.

The Schwintek course is a good one on the Lippert Technical Institute's website. It's free except for a couple of hours of your time. Check it out!

Howard
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The actual 294:1 ratio in these "300:1" motors are the same, but if I remember correctly the difference is how the wires are attached to the top of the motor. In the old version (original label) they were soldered on and subject to failure. I can't recall the exact difference, but the way the wires are connected at the motor changed to alleviate the known problem with the old connection method.

Again, going from memory so some of that info could be slightly off-target.

The Schwintek course is a good one on the Lippert Technical Institute's website. It's free except for a couple of hours of your time. Check it out!

Howard
                              I took that course about year ago, but think I'll retake it again.

It would seem that regardless of 294:1 or 300:1 either would work to actually move each side of the slide in sync. But, I guess the issue of the Hall Effect comes into play and would cause the controller to throw codes.
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X