2021 Solitude 2930-RL Bathroom/Bedroom Schwintek Slide is Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Solitude 2930-RL Bathroom/Bedroom Schwintek Slide is Binding

Hi, we are just starting our 2nd annual Get Out of the Cold and Snow Early Trip. On our second day, we are experiencing our first issue. The Schwintek Slide in the Bathroom/Bedroom is binding. When we open it, both sides start moving together for about 1 inch. The right-side stops moving after that approximate 1 inch. The left side continues to move an additional 2-3 inches before the whole slide stops or binds.

I can get the slide to open by starting with the slide from all the way in position and applying some moderate manual pressure to the upper right corner of the slide when the slide is opening. When applying the manual pressure, I only apply the pressure for 2-3 inches of travel, then the slide will continue out for the remaining distance without binding. It feels like I’m pushing the slide up and over something, but that might be the slide tipping/rocking as it moves out on the slide.

I’ve inspected the slide for any obstructions but have not found any. I’ve also measured the Schwintek rails on the outside to ensure they are parallel …. they are. I’ve also measured to ensure, when the slide is all the way out, that the slide has moved out the same distance at the top and bottom ... it is.

I helped a neighbor last fall replace their Schwintek slides and rollers last fall. I was expecting our slide to be constructed in a similar way, but that does not appear to be the case. I was looking for rollers that the slide might slide on but could not see or at least find where they might be, nor are there any wear marks on the bottom of the slide where they might be. It became clear that my slide is constructed differently. So, my first question is how is this slide constructed? What does it slide on?

I was even thinking the motor was failing but it seems to work just fine once I get the slide past that 1-3 inches at the beginning. There is no clicking or flat spots as it continues out. When I look at the nylon roller on the upper part of the slide, from what I can see, it looks a bit dirty, almost greasy, so it needs to be cleaned but it does not appear to be damaged.

I’m first trying to figure out the exact issue and then decide whether or not I can fix this myself while traveling around or, if I need to find a mobile tech to help out. I’m hoping for some guidance on how to fix and or figure out where the issue is. I’m very handy with fixing things and would like to be able to fix this without ruining our trip.

Thanks for any help!!
    Doug & Holly
    Tow vehicle: 2022 F250 Super Duty Lariat
    RV: 2021 Solitude S-Class 2930 RLS
    Stabilizer: Steady Fast
    Solar: Panels, 2K. Batteries, 2-24v 200amp, All Victron equipment.

Dgrothen

Your 2930RL may have a wear bar instead of rollers. According to Lippert documentation the following are what is recommended to installers of the Schwintek:
    Roller Specification
    • Rooms over 650 lbs or over 72" in width require rollers.
    • For rooms under 650 lbs and under 72" in width:
    - floor rollers are preferred for optimal performance, but not required.
    - wear bar (Boyd 3157-XXX) may be used, with plastic coated or painted (no grit) floors.
    - construction without rollers or wear bar is acceptable within these parameters to meet minimum requirements.​

The wear bar (or rollers) should bear all the weight of the room. Based on your (excellent) troubleshooting I agree with your speculation that the Schwintek is trying to carry the room at that spot.

I'd try two options to try and verify / isolate the issue.

1) Remove everything from the closet to lighten the slide-out, then try extending / retracting.

2) I've never tried this myself...but might work...stop the slide just before it is completely retracted. Try to slide a piece of paper (or something similar) between the slide and wear bar. If it is easy to get something thin to slide in then you know the Schwintek rails are carrying the weight (they shouldn't be) of the room.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson

Thanks for the info.

Our slide is 8ft 2 in long and I have no way of knowing the weight of the slide. Even if it was empty. According to the Lippert specs, I should have rollers. BUT, I don't think I do because there are no marks where rollers would be under the slide. I think I found one board that i might be able remove to see under the slide from the inside.

Can I assume if there are wear bars that they would be at the corners/ ends of the slide box?

Tomorrow is a travel day. When I get to my next location, I'll try your suggestion of unloading the slide and see if that makes any difference. If I can remove the board I was referring to and find the wear bars, then I can try the paper test.

Thanks again.
      Doug & Holly

Comment

So I get to my next destination, get leveled up and go to push the bathroom/bedroom slide out and it goes out without any issue and no squeaking either. It's like something shifted and it's no longer binding. I like the fact that it's no longer binding but I hate the part that I did nothing to change the way it proforms.

I guess I'll keep looking and listening until I determine the issue.
        Doug & Holly

Comment

Hi,

I had a problem with binding on my bedroom Schwintek slide. It was the slide on the right side of the drawer under our bed. The metal balls in the track came out and were binding our rollers. I replaced the slides on that drawer, our kitchen garbage and the island large drawer. I think Grand Design used inexpensive slides and I had failures on two of these three drawers. I now have some extra (better quality) slides if needed.

Your system may be different, but if it happens again, you might check for this problem.

Best,

Charles
          2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Working...
          X