Replace slide wear tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace slide wear tabs

We have a reflection 295rl. How do you replace the slide out wear tabs? It appears that we have to remove the slide out rail. Any easier options?

Originally posted by KimD View Post
    We have a reflection 295rl. How do you replace the slide out wear tabs? It appears that we have to remove the slide out rail. Any easier options?
    Hi KimD, welcome to the forum. Please check out the Welcome Letter (linked off the home page) as it will point you to resources to get the most from this forum.

To your question--are you referencing the wear tab as shown below? If "yes", what led to the belief that it requires replacement?

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	406
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	114647
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

One of the wear tabs us missing causing the gear teeth to jump..we spoke with lippert whom advised it must be replaced. We just cannot figure out a way to install the wear tab without removing the rail.
      fyi we have 2 wear tabs on top.

Comment

In your diagram there are 2 wear tabs on under the word section view.

Comment

The dilemma is clearing mounting plate to get the rail out without having to unbolti the inner rails and jacking slide up to clear the mounting plate.

Comment

I wonder if you can extend the slide fully, lower the coroplast, then pull back or remove the between rail section of the actuator to make the repair vs having to remove the slide? On the 303 the actuator has some stuff welded between the end of the tube and the frame that would prevent this, can you get a pick of the frame side of the actuator.

Seems like LCI would have a slide in fix set of guides. if one knew the thickness of the wear pads, might be possible to have someone like https://www.maywes.com/ (they do custom polymer) make some ELL or U brackets that could be fixed in place some way.

Another idea would be to extend the slide about 85-90%, then using jacks and some type of protector on the inside, raise the outer edge of the slide enough to pull the inner section out under the skirting. Again may need to unhook the actuator internally if possible to raise the inner end to give more clearance on the outside. Even being able to rotate the assembly would help with the clearances needed as the bracket where it attaches to the slide is taller tan wide.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

The dilemma is clearing mounting plate to get the rail out without having to unbolti the inner rails and jacking slide up to clear the mounting plate.
              I've never personally come across this situation with a slide unit, KimD. Only advice I have is to ask Lippert's Customer Service (they are the slide's OEM...but you know that based on the posts in this thread).

Please do the forum the favor of documenting the fix and lessons learned. TIA!

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have been in touch with lippert and they cannot advise how to pull the rail put so referred us to Grand Design. We are talking with them now

Comment

I am following this thread with interest because I am also dealing with skipping teeth on the spur gear. In my case, the problem spur gear looks worn and the rail outer tube is bowed (side to side) which allows the rail to lift enough that the it skips a tooth on the spur gear. From the depth of the teeth, it seems difficult to imagine that this happens . . . but apparently it does.

I still have a single wear tab in place above the rail (see picture) and found the attached LCI procedure to extend the wear tab (see pdf beside the picture). I have also purchased a new spur gear. (None of this installed yet)

You say that your wear tab is gone. It would take some fabrication but perhaps a new wear button could be inserted from above and held in place with a clamp arrangement. I don't see any way to replace a wear button without removing the inner toothed rail from the outer housing.

Grand Design receives the frame and slide rails as a complete assembly from LCI . . . I am surprised that removing and replacing this assembly is a GD issue and not an LCI issue. I will be interested in what you learn . . .

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2906.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	114692 LCI Wear Tab.pdf
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

With reference to the picture that I attached to post 9 . . . the outer tube is welded to the frame rail. There is not going to be any ability to tilt it down to allow removal of the inner rail under the outer edge of the slide box . . . unless, perhaps if the skirting was removed?

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We have 2 wear tabs on top white you have only 1. One of ours is missing and is what we are trying to install. We did not have any crowning on ours but I'll attach a photo of a lippert slide assembly that mat help you. You do have to flayed out thr crown before you install the assembly bracket. This did not help out problem..we are facing removing the rail to install the wear tab and hoping that works.

Comment

KimD Is the device in your picture part of your slide assembly or a "tool" used to flatten the crown in the outer tube?

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The crown must be flattened before you install the slide assembly..it is supposed to prevent it from happening again.

Comment

The crown must be flattened before you install the slide assembly..it is supposed to prevent it from happening again.
                            Where did you get this reinforcing piece? Does it have an LCI part number ?

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

KimD

With the additional clamp mechanism in your picture, it occurs to me that you could install the missing wear tab from the outside and hold it in place with this clamping device. You would not have the same wear area as if the tab were installed from the inside but you would have the same plastic material for the internal rail to come up against. You might have to trim the new tab so that it sticks though the hole by the correct amount. Not ideal . . . but better than having to extract the inner rail (somehow).

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X