Reflection 29RS - Kitchen Wall failing cause Slide to bind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection 29RS - Kitchen Wall failing cause Slide to bind

I have a 2017 Reflection 29RS 5th wheel. Recently, our driver's side kitchen slide will not retract. It comes in about 10 inches then binds. I can get outside and push it shut while my wife holds done the button to retract the slide.
    I tried all the tips/tricks to re-sync the slide to no avail. So of course I thought it might be a motor failure. The slide extends with but will not retract..kinda odd.

Thinking it might be motor failure, I took it to our RV Tech. He called and asked I go back to his shop...not good. He showed me what he found and it appears to be a major failure with the kitchen wall. He wil not even attempt to fix it. He said
    this should NEVER happen and believes it to be a manufacturing defect. Here is what we saw:

As you begin to extend the slide, the wall between the slide and the entry door (at floor level) flexes and moves about an inch BEFORE the slide begins to move. See pic one - area that flexes/moves is circled in red.
    Towards the rear of the RV, there is a black metal piece attached to the wall the pulls out when extending before slide begins to move. See pic 2 - area that flexes/moves is circled in red.

According to the RV tech, this should never happen unless the wall itself is failing and again, he believes this to be a manufacture defect. He also said it appears the Schwintek gear brackets are starting to tear themselves off the slide wall mounts.

Trying not to be too long winded, but at this point, what do we do? Is this something Grand Desingn will address or is this now a total loss and I am stuck with an RV I cannot use?

Thanks All​

mkgolfer -- could it just be the screws that are driven up through the floor frame into the wall have backed out?

Below is the best representation I could find in my files. It's an Imagine AIM under construction. The shot is into the doorway (without the door, obviously). The wall framing is clearly visible along with the "wood stuffed" aluminum frame. The construction of the 29RS is similar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	734.0 KB ID:	119185

I'm not an RV construction expert, but it's my understanding the wall is attached to the floor by long screws driven in from underneath. Worth a shot to drop the coroplast in that area to do an inspection.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Being outside the frame rails, there may not be any coroplast to drop. you might try looking and feeling in the area along the underside of the floor for screws.

Now that Howard brought it up, can you tell where the flex is happening? Wondering if the wall aluminum framing is compromised. GD service center can replace the whole wall. Vivian has had this done (beachcomber) on her 5er along with several others that had issues with delimitation and other odd things.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Being outside the frame rails, there may not be any coroplast to drop. you might try looking and feeling in the area along the underside of the floor for screws.

Now that Howard brought it up, can you tell where the flex is happening? Wondering if the wall aluminum framing is compromised. GD service center can replace the whole wall. Vivian has had this done (beachcomber) on her 5er along with several others that had issues with delimitation and other odd things.

Jlawles2 Joseph, the issue on mine was the slide floor bowing so GD rebuilt it using thicker floor and more rollers. They also found the aluminum supports in main area not welded correctly and failing. So new floor and fixed welds plus more crossmembers. Never had the walls replaced but there were several units with delamination and new walls installed. So yes, the factory can replace them. I think howson has a good first step to investigating the issue. mkgolfer if this issue is in fact something the factory needs to take care of, request factory pricing for the repair. Maybe it’s still under structural warranty which is 3 years. But if not, they will do repairs out of warranty but on your dime.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Sorry Vivian, thought you were one that had the wall replaced.

OP hopefully someone will chime in that has had it done. From what I remember of the few that have posted about it being done, the job was completed in under a week.

You might want to read this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...s-falling-off/
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X