Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace slide seal

Hi,

I discovered the slide seal on the top of my LR slide was melting. It faces south. The sun reflects on the top of the slide and the rubber seal at the top is melted. My bad - I should have kept that slide closed, but now must replace the seal. The sides are fine. I discovered this when another RVer recommended treating the seals with 303 protectant.

It seems that the part number is 640455, Seal 2 3/4" Black Flip N Seal and I will need to order the length of the slide. I think the rubber seal is merely held on with silicone, but would appreciate any advice. Has anyone replaced a slide seal? Some RV seals have a metal track, but this one seems to be held on with the silicone.

Charles
    2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

I believe there are screws under the bulb part of the seal. Put a little bit of silicone on the screws before installing.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Crespro View Post
      Hi,

I discovered the slide seal on the top of my LR slide was melting. It faces south. The sun reflects on the top of the slide and the rubber seal at the top is melted. My bad - I should have kept that slide closed, but now must replace the seal. The sides are fine. I discovered this when another RVer recommended treating the seals with 303 protectant.

It seems that the part number is 640455, Seal 2 3/4" Black Flip N Seal and I will need to order the length of the slide. I think the rubber seal is merely held on with silicone, but would appreciate any advice. Has anyone replaced a slide seal? Some RV seals have a metal track, but this one seems to be held on with the silicone.

Charles
      I just replaced some of my slide seals recently on my new Reflection as they had ripped since the slide was not tracking evenly in the wall opening. Once I moved the slide and re-aligned, I replaced the seals. I bought mine from Steele Rubber. They have all the different types that fit our campers and RVs use. The original seals are pneumatically stapled into the walls and then the edges are sealed with silicone. I used a small prying tool to remove the staples first, then cut away the silicone. For the re-install, I just drilled some small holes every 14-16" and used some small black screws under the bulb area where they can't be seen. Turned out really nice. Good luck.
      40-year Camping Enthusiast
      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

I just replaced some of my slide seals recently on my new Reflection as they had ripped since the slide was not tracking evenly in the wall opening. Once I moved the slide and re-aligned, I replaced the seals. I bought mine from Steele Rubber. They have all the different types that fit our campers and RVs use. The original seals are pneumatically stapled into the walls and then the edges are sealed with silicone. I used a small prying tool to remove the staples first, then cut away the silicone. For the re-install, I just drilled some small holes every 14-16" and used some small black screws under the bulb area where they can't be seen. Turned out really nice. Good luck.
        Thanks for your help. I am thinking about a new seal from Steele Products. Click image for larger version

Name:	Solitude_Seal1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	119261

It should be better than the OEM. I suggest Grand Design should use better rubber on the OEM seals. The desert areas are about 15 to 18 degrees warmer than my location. If my seals melted, the desert RV locations are much more likely to also melt.

Steele Rubber Products - 3-1/2" Peel-N-Stick "P" Profile Wiper | RV Slide-Outs | Steele Rubber Products
        https://www.steelerubber.com/sponge-...70-3712-265​

Charles
        Steele Rubber Products offers the best quality wiper weatherstrips for your RV slide-outs. Bonded with an adhesive strip for easy installation.
        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Working...
        X