Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Reflection 28BH Main slide motor failed…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Reflection 28BH Main slide motor failed…

The forward motor on the main slide of my 2020 Reflection 28BH has failed. The problem is that the slide is completely closed and I can’t access the “Motor Retention Screw” to remove the bad motor. Can the slide me manually opened? I’ve tried the override on the controller but the motor doesn’t respond at all. The motor seems to whine a little bit but that side of the slide doesn’t move at all.
    Last edited by Tankereng; 08-28-2023, 07:34 PM.

Tankereng

If the motor whines a little, it may be still functional but jammed. Try "bumping" it electrically, by pushing the main switch "in" and then quickly reverse to "out". If this doesn't work, I have had a GD Tech describe to me that sometimes they have to drive the motor upwards from the inside, with a hammer and a large screwdriver in the vent hole, to break the retaining screw and disengage the motor. This, of course, destroys the motor . . . so, only you can decide if this is your only course of action.

BTW (not that this helps you now, but might help others reading this) . . . this same Tech advises drilling a small hole through the exterior slide trim, aligned with the retention screw, so that a screwdriver can reach this screw in exactly the situation that you describe.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob
      Do you remember the dimensions for drilling the hole? I do not but I think we learned that.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers

The advice was to open the slide a couple of inches and carefully align the hole with the retention screw. No specific dimensions, but a 1/4" hole would allow access with a reasonable size screw driver. The hole would not be through anything that could allow water entry.

I have not done this (yet) . . . but it is definitely on my "to do" list. . I will start with a 1/8" drill and adjust from there if my initial alignment is not quite right.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Tankereng

If the motor whines a little, it may be still functional but jammed. Try "bumping" it electrically, by pushing the main switch "in" and then quickly reverse to "out". If this doesn't work, I have had a GD Tech describe to me that sometimes they have to drive the motor upwards from the inside, with a hammer and a large screwdriver in the vent hole, to break the retaining screw and disengage the motor. This, of course, destroys the motor . . . so, only you can decide if this is your only course of action.

BTW (not that this helps you now, but might help others reading this) . . . this same Tech advises drilling a small hole through the exterior slide trim, aligned with the retention screw, so that a screwdriver can reach this screw in exactly the situation that you describe.

Rob

I already have replacement motors so I don’t mind destroying the existing motor if it comes to that. Also looking for a good measurement to drill the access hole… that will be a preventative measure either way once I can get the slide open.

Comment

Originally posted by Tankereng View Post

I already have replacement motors so I don’t mind destroying the existing motor if it comes to that. Also looking for a good measurement to drill the access hole… that will be a preventative measure either way once I can get the slide open.
            To keep the hole small seems you have to be "right on" with the measurements. In looking at doing this I had to remove the vertical rubber seal that covers up the screw. I'm really having a hard time getting that seal seated back on the trim. If anyone has suggestions I'd sure like to hear.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
            X