water intrusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water intrusion

I have a 2019 Momentum 28G with two slides. The picture, included, is of the bottom of the big slide. I have both slides closed and both slides have these, what looks like cups to me, made of hard but pliable material, at the bottom on both sides of both of the slides. The only purpose that I can imagine for these cups are for collecting water which I am experiencing in the cup in the picture. It is on the big slide and the only one that has water in it after a rainstorm or after I wash the trailer. I have, what is called Newpig material in the cup, which is absorbing the water very well, but I would like to fix the problem instead of band aiding it, if you know what I mean. Has anyone else had this problem before and what did you do to find where the water was intruding from and what was the fix? Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files
    2019 28G Momentum TT

The cup is there to collect water which it is doing. However it should drain to the outside. There should be a tapered lip to the outside, check to see that it is tilted outward and the tapered part is clear.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you Brian. I will check that. Does the slide need to be opened or closed or does it matter. I can't use one of the other three to compare what I'm looking for because they're in a spot where it's impossible to get a visual.
      2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

timlsalem Put the slide about mid position. This will allow you to see both the inside and out. You may need to use some soft pliable item from the inside to the outside to see if the cup is angled outward or if the drain is obstructed. Once you figure out that one, the rest will be easy to inspect.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

timlsalem
          Being as that is a Schwintek slide you may want to extend it the whole way to get a look from the outside where the cup would be to see if there is any blockage. The drain lip should be visible when fully extended.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Well, as I said before, I have no idea of what I'm looking for. I extended both slides and looked the best I could at where these cups are located inside, and they all look identical to me from outside under the slides. It was very hard to get a real good look at them due to where they are and not having enough room to examine them more closely. I suppose it would be easier to see what is going on if I had one of those cameras you can connect to your smart phone, but I don't have one of those. I will try to put water in them from the inside and then go under the slides and see if I can see the water draining out. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm just stuck putting pig mat in the one that is collecting the water and call it good.
            2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

So when I first got our unit, the rear (left from inside right from outside) did have a drip. I told the dealer about it, don't know if they did anything but it's no longer a drip. I did read about shimming the tray if it's leaning one way or the other. It needs to lean OUT.

From the outside this is what my tray looks like. the tray is to the right of the line with the arrow pointing. Note this is the RIGHT tray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	337
Size:	773.4 KB
ID:	119614
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Just an update: the place where I though water was coming in at wasn't actually the place. I pored water in the cup and it drained outside like it is supposed to. I'm stumped now as to where this water is coming in from.
                2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

Check that the drain passages on the back of the aluminum rail are clear at the ends. If they are plugged, it can lead to water not following the correct path and dripping in odd locations.

Also check your front cap to roof sealant. If it looks cracked, add more. Our previous 5er would get the floor all along the street side wet under the slide. Found a crack in the sealant on the front cap to roof, poured the self leveler to it and the carpet stayed dry after that.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

UPDATE: I wanted to post what exactly was happening when I had water on the floor near the kitchen slide. When I would put the slide out I would listen to the motors and take my finger off the switch when I heard the sound get loud and I would do the same thing when bringing in the slide. For those who have the Schwintek motors on your slides, which is almost everyone, hold the switch in the on position when you're bringing the slide in until the motor stops by itself. I did not know this, and I was letting go of the switch before the slide was all the way in and therefore it was letting water come in from the top whenever it rained or when I would wash it. Good lesson to learn and I am very happy it wasn't something more serious. Thank You Jlawles2 for all your helpful comments. I will keep them in mind.
                    2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

timlsalem -- on a Schwintek, literally hold the switch for an additional count of 5 after the slide stops moving (either all the way in or all the way out) so the controller resets it's internal counter. Do NOT hold the button down for a thru-frame electric or hydraulic slide. Holding the switch only applies to the Schwintek.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                      X