Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintec Problem

Hello All!

I have an Imagine XLS 22MLE, with one schwintec slide on the driver side (holds the stove, refrigerator, and 2 loungers). The issue I am having is that when extended, the bottom of the slide is not fully out, about 2 inches and when retracted, the top of the slide is not fully in, about 2 inches.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What did y'all do? Is there a way to fix, without removing the H column?

Thanks!

Jonathan

​​​​​
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE, 2024 Chevy Silverado 2500 LT Crew Cab 4x4 6.6L Gas

This is a wild guess, but would removing the motors and extending the slide out to the correct position (top and bottom) and then reinstalling the motors be a possible solution?
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Jpooler

The top and bottom gears on each side of the slide are driven by the same motor on a common shaft from top to bottom. It sounds like the top gears are a few teeth out of sync with the bottom gears. The only way to remedy this is to remove the drive assembly and resync the top and bottom racks. But . . . I suspect that you know this already from the way that you have phrased your question.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Removing the motors will not allow you to correct this issue. The top and bottom gears are connected by a shaft. The motor connects to the shaft and in turn turns both gears at the same time. If you remove the motor and raise the shaft out of the lower gear you may be able to get the slide back to square, then lower the shaft thru the lower gear. Not sure if you would want to tackle this or not and I have not done it so not sure if it will work.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jpooler
          Your failure sounds exactly like mine - when was yours built? Schwintek had some issues and put out a service bulletin on them. See this thread for more information:
          Ottertail, Minnesota
          2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
          2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Removing the motors will not allow you to correct this issue. The top and bottom gears are connected by a shaft. The motor connects to the shaft and in turn turns both gears at the same time. If you remove the motor and raise the shaft out of the lower gear you may be able to get the slide back to square, then lower the shaft thru the lower gear. Not sure if you would want to tackle this or not and I have not done it so not sure if it will work.

Brian
            You are exactly right, I should have thought about that. I'm not sure if the shaft could even be raised with the way the gear is fixed in the top assembly.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I had a Schwintek slideout failure on a trip last year in GA. Imagine 23LDE with same slide configuration you describe in OP. I called dealer, and went thru all the steps, fuses, etc. and they finally said do whatever it takes to get the slide back in and bring it to us. It took 15 mins of me pushing and lifting on the slide corner while my wife worked the switch inside. Unbelievably difficult, not a typical one person job. I would hit the side of the camper and she knew to work the switch. Finally got it back in. I can't imagine how you would do it with a fifth wheel bedroom slide failure up higher, maybe off a truck bed as a platform. Anyway, we researched and there was a short period when Schwintek used inverted or closed slide rails. This seems to be the common origin for recent failures. Tech said the binding sheared the shaft connecting the two right motors. You can research the inverted track issue. I found aluminum shavings along slide track. We traded the camper for the 280RS during the subsequent warranty work. Now I have 2 slideouts to worry with so I'm not the brightest guy....
              2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Hey Y'all,

UPDATE:

So it turns out, the system that was installed had the recalled "inverted gear rack". The plastic shoes that the racks glided over were cracked and broken, causing the slide to bind and the spurs to jump a few inches out of time.

THE FIX:

I had to have a whole new system installed - H columns and gear racks! (Everything is covered under a recall warranty)

CURRENT STATUS:

Everything has been reinstalled and the slide is working better than ever!

...... Just waiting to get reimbursed 2K by Lippert.......

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Jpooler View Post
                  So it turns out, the system that was installed had the recalled "inverted gear rack". The plastic shoes that the racks glided over were cracked and broken, causing the slide to bind and the spurs to jump a few inches out of time.
                  Exactly what we witnessed on Paul & Deb 's Imagine while camping prior to the National Rally. The "trick" the moderators learned from a mobile tech is to (gently) run the point of a knife down the track the shoe glides on. If "bumps" are felt (should be smooth), the shoe (which you can't see) is likely broken and chewing up the track as the slideout moves. The only fix is exactly what you had done.

Thanks for posting a follow-up. It is very useful to current and future forum members!

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-13 141430.png
Views:	268
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	123472
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

That's interesting howson! I also noticed that my gears were getting chewed up.

I would suppose that depending on which type of gear rack is installed, would determine where you would run the knife. In the standard, the shoe runs along the bottom. And in the inverted, the shoe runs along the top

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear Rack.png
Views:	215
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	123588

Comment

Originally posted by Jpooler View Post
                      I would suppose that depending on which type of gear rack is installed, would determine where you would run the knife.
                      I agree.

My '19 has the inverted setup, which seems to be the "problem child" in later production model years, especially the Imagines. My Schwintek (knock on wood) still works fine, though I admit to nearly holding my breath every time I move the slide.

To try to avert a difficult repair on the road, I routinely (minimum every 60 days) clean the tracks and do a thorough visual inspection. CRC w/PTFE (dry) is applied to the blocks and shoe area. Can't see the blocks or shoes -- but I know where they are behind the seal.

I know Lippert says not to lubricate, but this is one area where I'll go with what experienced RV technicians say to do (like the My RV Works guy on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@MyRVWorks ).

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                      X