New 'clunk' while extending the slide out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 'clunk' while extending the slide out

This just happened this weekend. Upon extending the slide out, I heard a few clunks. Doesn't happen on retracting, just extension. Also doesn't happen every time in the same part of the extension. Here is a link to the video. Not much to go on but wondering if folks have seen/heard of anything like this happening. Thank you for your time.

Clunks happen around 10/13/16 second mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGEuuNxAGa4

FWIW - I do lube the tracks every 3 months with dry lube.
    Transcend 2022 265BH
    The Leisure Trails - coming soon! =)

Watch the slide mechanics under the slide when extending and watch the gear racks at each end and see if they jump at all. Also look at the tubes that the gear racks come out from. We have seen some of the tubes with the top bowed up allowing the gear rack to jump teeth when in operation. Take a video of each gear rack in motion or maybe some pictures.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So I just came from underneath and you can feel it on the front rack. Here is the video under extension:

https://youtu.be/RInckPvoz38

Thank you for your time!
      Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

When the slide is fully in or out, is it still flush to the wall all around? If not, this is an indication that the alignment gears are jumping teeth on the racks.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Jumping teeth is more “violent” and noisy than this. Also, I did not see any indication of jumping teeth. Sounds more like something “shifting”. Are there any indications of movement in the horizontal or vertical attachments to the slide box at the outer ends of the toothed rails?

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            When the slide is fully in or out, is it still flush to the wall all around? If not, this is an indication that the alignment gears are jumping teeth on the racks.

Rob
            Good question. Just went out, everything currently sits flush
            . Click image for larger version  Name:	20240219_161556.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	128836
            Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Jumping teeth is more “violent” and noisy than this. Also, I did not see any indication of jumping teeth. Sounds more like something “shifting”. Are there any indications of movement in the horizontal or vertical attachments to the slide box at the outer ends of the toothed rails?

Rob
              There's more wear on the teeth is aft of the rig. As far as the horizontal/vertical attachments, there was no noticeable shift that I could tell. Putting my hand on the rail, it genuinely felt 'internal' in relation. There was just nothing standing out on the teeth.
              Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

Hard to learn from the sounds on the video. But, could it be the rubber flap side seals switching directions? Just a wag...
                Ottertail, Minnesota
                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Having heard the teeth jumping between the spur gears and the rack . . . this is not that.
                  https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...pur-gear-teeth

AlexPeterson might be on to something . . . This might just be the slide seals flipping.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just added another video. This angle is from a profile shot. In this video you can see the arm extension actually bob up and down in sync with the clunk. Inspecting the tubing and the wear tabs, the tube isn't rounding out as I was expecting to see from the link that Cate&Rob posted.

https://youtu.be/Nj_exXho2C4

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240220_130626.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	128884
                    Attached Files
                    Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

H22EG8 -- the clunk seems to time with the rotation of the cross shaft. I noted the bolt/nut was pointing up each time I heard a thunk.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        H22EG8 -- the clunk seems to time with the rotation of the cross shaft. I noted the bolt/nut was pointing up each time I heard a thunk.
                        Oh wow... well spotted! I'll have to inspect the gear at that area... Nice..

B/c I work on racecars all the time, I kinda went bananas and went ahead and ordered a new gear and the reinforcement bracket. The reality is from a design perspective, either the mounting should've had thicker metal or this bracket should've always been on.

I didn't mess with the wear tab washer thing approach yet b/c the wear tabs are still in good condition and imo, the tab fix is a band-aid
                        Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

I went under there and took some photos of the gear. Please disregard the ink on the gear. I was counting teeth for a replacement set. Looks like there's a little bit of galling on the gear. Idk... I also have a ticket in with Lippert on this. They sent these questions:

----
                          I am not seeing anything particular that is skipping. I would suggest taking some measurements.
                          1. How thick is this slide floor?
                          2. Is this a flat floor or above floor slide design?
                          3. Can you send photos of the 3 adjustment nuts on the end of the actuator?
                          4. Can we please get A & B measurements? (see attached)
                          Tube 1
                          A measurement:
                          B measurement:

Tube 2
                          A measurement:
                          B measurement:​

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	128895

For those curious (and to add to the repository of information) the measurements were:

Tube 1 (forward) - A - 5" / B - 5-3/4"
                          Tube 2 (aft) - B - 5-1/16" / B - 5-11/16"​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20240220_164933.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	128896
                          -----------

Name:	20240220_164928.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	128894
                          Attached Files
                          Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

I have the same issue with my Slide out on a Grand Design Reflection 295RL. But my slide outs have moved to one side causing my side seals to pinch. It will be interesting to hear what you find out, Ill also be including this in my 3 things i need fixed during the National Rally this year

Comment

So Lippert came back with the fact that the measurements given should be within 1/4" of each other. When you think about it, they essentially want the plane of the floor to be parallel to the inner arm extension.

However, when I reviewed the video AND the documentation that Lippert sent me, it states that you're supposed to measure from the outer arm to the base of the floor for measurement A. Then to the inner arm to the floor (measurement B). This makes a big difference as the outer arm is already at least 1/4" further up from the beginning.

I called them to make sure the technician was correct in what they stated and he said yes. I told them they REALLY need to correct their documentation as the documentation (both video and manual) state to measure the outer arm. As engineer those details bug the heck out of me.

For reference:
                              YouTube Vertical adjustment - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrSOtDvBZK8
                              manual - https://support.lci1.com/documents/s...llation-manual

Anyway... I went ahead and ordered two new gear packs AND the reinforcement plates. I will do the adjustment first then test. If it's fixed, cool... I'm still going to install the reinforcement plates. Then debate on the gear packs. I'll take videos and hopefully this will help others.

Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

Working...
                              X