Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

OK, I think I understand.

When you checkedfor continuity from the switch to the connector, were the wires front-to-back in the connector? (Pins "1A" and "1B".) Or were they side-by-side (pins 1 and 2).

Which end of the connector? Using the picture as the frame of reference, the far right or far left? Better yet, what colors.

On the bottom right (also see green arrow in your post #4), it's the 16 pin connector, pins #1 and 2. They are on the back side of the connector so hard to see. See the pic below... I did take off the cover out of curiosity BTW, there is no schematic, only a pin layout. And the board doesn't look very user serviceable. If you look at the pic, on the bottom right you'll see "Latch In". Pin 1 and 2 are the input. Pin 1 (green) extends the slides and pin 2 (yellow) retracts the slides. Notice it also refers to "Valve 1". At the top of the pic, you'll see "Latch Out LC". Pin 1 (green) extend and pin 2 (yellow) retract I'm guessing in conjunction with pin 3 (grey) Valve 1. So it would seem the input is tied directly (through the circuitry) to specific output. This tells me I won't just be able to change inputs to different pins and reconfigure. I could be wrong, but...

Click image for larger version

Name:	X4 Board Cover.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	35254

Here's one of the board itself...

Name:	X4 Board.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	35256

John
    Attached Files
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2021 Can Am Maverick X3 Turbo RR
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

One other point I'll make is it would seem hard inputs like the Slide Switch goes through the circuitry, while the "Soft" inputs (from the touchscreen/phone app) goes through the boards digital software logic. That's why the slides still work using the touchscreen but not the switch... Make sense?

John
      MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

Ready2Retire ,

I wouldn't be concerned about the use of the term "valve" on LCI's board. Generic term most likely. These are paired discrete inputs that are programmed to drive a specific output (as you've already determined and documented in this thread).

I highly doubt that all 8 of the discrete (input) pairs are in use. It would be interesting to find out which ones are being used and which ones are not. What items on your trailer (that are controlled by the OneControl panel) have an additional discrete switch? Both awnings? All three slides? (That closet in the bedroom must be a Schwintek, right?)

If we can find an input not being used, and LCI can tell you how to program the controller to disable input 1 (pins 1 and 2) and make input x have the output respond instead, you're off to the races. You won't need a new controller.

So the $844 question is can the board be reprogrammed by the owner.

Worth a try to find out. Since you understand multiplexing and discrete inputs I think the concept above (hopefully) is easy to grasp. (Ever mess with EMUX on a B-1B? Now THAT is a multiplex system!)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Totally understand what you're saying, and that may be why LCI is sending me an updated touchscreen. This may give me access to the pin assignments. We'll see...

Ah the world of multiplexing. This is why backyard mechanics are becoming a thing of the past. Even in automotive, they had to drop the J1939 protocol and go to a faster network because of the amount of data being shared between all the body, chassis, engine, etc. modules. We're as much computer and electronic technicians as we are mechanics!

John

Edited to add: I just got off the phone with Grand Design. This is in response to the email I sent them a couple of days ago. They are initiating a case (got the case number) for the issue. I explained that I was working with LCI (gave them the name of the tech), and he told me he knows the individual at LCI and I'm in good hands. He also said if I need any help from GD to give them a call and cite the case number. I couldn't be more pleased with the response from both LCI and GD.

I sense there may have been some back room communication concerning my issue, and if you had anything to do with that... Thank you!

John
          Last edited by Ready2Retire; 11-19-2020, 12:56 PM.
          MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

Just a quick update: Last Tuesday the updated touch pad arrived via UPS. With the Thanksgiving holiday and our last camping trip of the season happening, along with work commitments, I have not messed with it. I decided that since I could still make everything work using the touch pad I would leave well enough alone for the trip. I'll have some time this week and I'll post updates when relevant.

John
            MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

Quick update: I got the new touch pad installed and fired up. FYI it is now V3. I have a call in to LCI and am waiting to hear back. One interesting thing I noticed, V3 allows me to see different things than V2 did. One thing that stood out is on the slides; for the main slide it shows an address, on the bedroom slide it shows "Wall Switch". Both slides work using the touch pad, so now I'm thinking this may just be a setting that went wonky and may just need to be reconfigured. I'll know more when I talk to LCI. I'll keep you posted.

John
              MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

Ready2Retire
                Something is messing with my mind looking at your pictures. I've learned a lot about the Unity x4 board since our last exchange.

The bottom side of the board are all inputs. There's no connector or wires attached to the REV IN (input)connector. "REV" means Reversing Latch Relay. These are devices that run in two directions. A fan vent. An awning. A slide room. Why is nothing connected? I don't understand.

The connector next to it is the LATCH input connector. "LAT" means Latching Relay. A latching relay controls devices that once turned on stay on (like a light switch) or when turned off stay off.

Name:	inputs.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	36866

Reading back through your first post, it is now becoming a little clearer even though I don't have it all figured out. You wrote, He walked me through checking the programming and everything seemed correct except there was a setting for the "Main Slide" that was "Off". He said to turn that to "On". I did and the switch would activate the pump, but it would only stow regardless of which way I operated the switch. That's because it's wired to a latching relay and not a reversing latch relay. (I think.)

I can't wrap my head around why GD put a slide (a reversing item) on LATCH IN 1 and 2. I must be missing something or don't completely understand quite yet. I've got to do more reading.

What I DO know if these inputs and outputs are configurable. If all of the inputs and/or outputs aren't all being used we can move wires and reprogram to tell the board (the "OCTP") what pins you're using on the X4 to control your slide. This is easily {clears throat} accomplished through the v3 software in the OCTP. If a channel is available and the problem is with one dead channel, there's no need to replace the entire board.

The next time you're at the trailer, try to confirm which REV OUT pins or LATCH OUT pins are sending power to the pump and valve.

More to come...

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson getting ready for work, but real quick... Latch Out LC pin 1 (green wire) extends the slide and Latch Out LC pin 2 (yellow wire) retracts the slide. More later...

John
                  MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

Ready2Retire -- yep, I'm wrong already, dang it. For hydraulic slides a latching input/output is used. A specific slide is designated starting with output 3. Why 3? Because outputs 1 and 2 are used for the hydraulic pump when an output's Latch Relay Enabled is off (gray). (Confused yet? Me too.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	disabled.JPG Views:	0 Size:	17.6 KB ID:	36878

So let's say the bedroom slide's valve is attached to latching relay output 3. The Latching Relay Enabled is off (gray) which means by default outputs 1 and 2 are connected to and power the hydraulic pump.

If latching output 4 is connected to the living room slide, the Latching Relay Enabled for output 4 is also disabled so the pump (on outputs 1 and 2) is engaged when latch output 4 is powered.

If the Unity board was in a trailer that didn't have a hydraulic system, all of the utilized latches would have their Latching Relay Enabled option on (blue).

So when Lippert says "slide" in conjunction with "Reversing Latch Relay" they must mean an electrically driven thru-frame slide. A Schwintek has a separate module (discrete controller) but it is still on the CAN BUS.

I'm learning as I'm going...so forgive any confusion I may be injecting. Hopefully I'm clarifying as I'm going.

Last edited by howson; 12-04-2020, 05:41 PM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Ready2Retire -- do all of your hydraulic slides deploy with just one switch? If I remember correctly, there's a manual valve that must be adjusted to disable an individual slide in the GD setup.

Will you please document the name of each output as shown on the OCTP (in the latching relay area) for outputs 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10? I'm very curious what they show on the screen.

Based on all that's been documented so far, I suspect LAT OUT 3 is tied to LATCH IN 1 and 2. Since you can deploy and retract using the OCTP but not the switch, that means those two inputs may be bad (as we've suspected all along). The key now is finding if any of the other input pairs, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, etc are not being used. Swap the wires from 1 and 2 to the unused pair, then program LAT OUT 3 to understand it is being controlled by the newly connected LATCH INs.

Hopefully that's enough info (that's correct?) to help when you talk with Lippert.

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson "So when Lippert says "slide" in conjunction with "Reversing Latch Relay" they must mean an electrically driven thru-frame slide." This makes sense because my understanding of a "reversing latch" is depending on the input, it reverses polarity on the output side. So if the main slide is electric (like my old Springdale was) reversing polarity to the motor would make the it run in the opposite direction.

John
                        MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

I just got off the phone with LCI. The new OCTP (V3) did not show any different information than the old V2 did. Per LCI, the OCTP only shows whats available for configuration in this particular Unity board. In his opinion, the board is defective as it is receiving the switch input but not recognizing it . He stated that there have been some version changes in the Unity Board over time, and I must have an earlier version that is not as programmable as the newer versions. Basically it is a "through board", more on the lines of a relay board. His recommendation is to contact GD and cite my case number and see if they will help me out with a new board. If not, to call him back and he'll see what he can do. No promises, but... there was nothing he could do today. I'll keep you posted.

John
                          MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

Originally posted by Ready2Retire View Post
                            I just got off the phone with LCI. The new OCTP (V3) did not show any different information than the old V2 did. Per LCI, the OCTP only shows whats available for configuration in this particular Unity board. In his opinion, the board is defective as it is receiving the switch input but not recognizing it . He stated that there have been some version changes in the Unity Board over time, and I must have an earlier version that is not as programmable as the newer versions. Basically it is a "through board", more on the lines of a relay board. His recommendation is to contact GD and cite my case number and see if they will help me out with a new board. If not, to call him back and he'll see what he can do. No promises, but... there was nothing he could do today. I'll keep you posted.

John
                            So obviously you can see the specific slide in the Configuration screen since the OCTP directs the slide to move.

What LAT OUT is the slide connected to? 3?

When you scroll down in that specific LAT OUT (3 or whatever) entry and look at the EXTEND and RETRACT configuration (the manual switch locations) what wires does it show? Based on what you've written so far, I expect it will show 1 and 2.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

So obviously you can see the specific slide in the Configuration screen since the OCTP directs the slide to move.

What LAT OUT is the slide connected to? 3?

When you scroll down in that specific LAT OUT (3 or whatever) entry and look at the EXTEND and RETRACT configuration (the manual switch locations) what wires does it show? Based on what you've written so far, I expect it will show 1 and 2.
                              If you look at the pics, it doesn't show the configuration, at least I can't figure it out maybe you can.... In the last pic, there is nothing to scroll to below the IN-MOTION... That's the bottom of the screen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unity 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	37340

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unity 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	37339

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unity 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	37338

MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

Also, I spoke with Jamie at GD yesterday, and he said since it was a LCI component and not a GD issue there wasn't much he could do. However, he said he has worked with our contact at LCI and knows him personally. He asked for my LCI case number and told me he would talk to him and come up with something. A little while later, he called me back and told me LCI is going to ship me a replacement board as a "Goodwill" replacement. Soon after, I got an email from our contact stating he was sending me a board and also a return label for the "core". Once I get the replacement board, our contact will walk me through downloading the configuration from the old board to the new and we'll go from there...

John
                                MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

Working...
                                X