No brakes on Solitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No brakes on Solitude

Hi. I have viewed many posts on the forum but this is my first post. New to us 2017 Solitude 384GK. Trailer has less than 1,000 miles from the original owners. Hooked the trailer up to our 2022 GMC 3500 DRW and it recognized the connection and does not list any faults. I tested the brakes with the manual control at a slow speed and they are not working. I started with the gain at 6 but raised it to 10 during the test. We had the tires replaced and bearings repacked last week and the technician and shop owner (who have their own RVs) said the breaks look fine mechanically. Any thoughts on where to begin troubleshooting?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff & Connie
    2017 Solitude 384GK
    2022 GMC 3500 DRW Duramax

I would check the fuse box in the engine compartment, drives side beside the battery, look for the trailer brake fuse, it may be blown or not even there. If the fuse is there then you can check the connection at the rear of the truck. I just purchased a similar model in the Chevy brand and it had a bad connection in the plug on the bumper, brakes would not work plugged in to the bed but did work when plugged in to the bumper, dealer should fix this for you. After that you may need to check up under the pin box where the silver metal box is, this is where the 7 wire connects to the trailer wiring. Then, if not fixed by now, you will have to go thru the trailer wiring.

Before all of that have a buddy connect his truck to your trailer to see if it is the same, and connect your truck to another trailer to see if it is the same, this will help you to find a place to start looking, either truck or trailer.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

First thing I would do is make the conscious effort to check all of the at axle connections, paying particular attention to the front axle on the street side (this should be where the main signal wire comes in). Then move back up to the connector box and verify connection from the blue wire to the brake wiring (original owner may have worked on something and got the wires crossed).

lastly and this needs to be a quick test, pull the break away with a compass near the axles to check that the magnets are working. Try to keep this test under 2-3 minutes as the break away applies full voltage and amperage to the system.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks Brian and Joseph. I tested the truck with another trailer. The bed connection and bumper connections both worked correctly. i will start going through the trailer tomorrow.

Thanks again.
        Jeff & Connie
        2017 Solitude 384GK
        2022 GMC 3500 DRW Duramax

Comment

Working...
        X