Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solitude 380FL & 382WB Cracks in Frame above rear axle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solitude 380FL & 382WB Cracks in Frame above rear axle.

Attention Solitude 380FL & 382WB owners.

I have personally looked at five trailers and have seen four units with cracks in the frame above the rear axle in the center of the frame web. This includes my own 2022 and even a 2023 that was on it’s maiden voyage!

I first started a post in Grand Design Solitude Owners Facebook group. I was asked to post this here by several people. In that post three more people reported the exact same cracks!!!

So that is 7 380/382 of various years that have confirmed cracks in the frame in the same spot!!!

I took the wall inside down (the one with the dump handles) You can see the cracks are right where a frame cross memeber is welded in. And the cracks seems to be on the side of the weld. The cracks don’t seem to grow (you’ll see lines I’ve drawn on mine)

The trailers I’ve seen with the cracks were manufactured JULY 2019 to OCT 2022 there may be more years.

I suspect this is a design flaw as there is to much side to side frame flex in this. (I have since put in MorRyde X Factors on all three spring hangers after I noticed the cracks as a possible preventative measure to stop the flex)

The cracks don’t seem to be and issue with safety (yet) as there is big holes in the frame web for the slide outs and such, but it needs to be inspected and fixed if found.

I urge you to check your rig on both sides and start a case with Grand Design if you find them.​

HouseApe

Thanks for posting this.

Have you sent photos to Lippert? They build the frames for Grand Design and I would guess they would like this informative feedback. If you have the VIN's from the other RV's with this issue you may want to include them in the information that you send to Lippert.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      HouseApe

Thanks for posting this.

Have you sent photos to Lippert? They build the frames for Grand Design and I would guess they would like this informative feedback. If you have the VIN's from the other RV's with this issue you may want to include them in the information that you send to Lippert.

Brian
      Sorry I didn’t get notifications on this post.

Yes I have been in contact with both Grand Design and LCI. A Grand Design SRT tech has also looked at it. LCI has approved a local frame shop to repair and strengthen the frame.

I did give them the VIN’s of the other units I have seen with the same cracks. Those owners are also dealing with LCI and are in various stages of getting the repairs done either locally or by LCI mobile techs.

Comment

Working...
      X