• Show
Clear All

• Suspect 320MKS Tire Valve Stems

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	127594 Hi All:

Discovered a couple of weeks ago that one of my tires was underinflated while the other 3 were just were I set them (about 79 psi). Last week still had some outstanding items on my warranty repair list (as well as a couple more like this one), so I took the 320MKS in at my dealer. I had asked them to put steel value stems on all 4 tires, but they put me in this hoop loop of having to wait for warranty authorization and such, so I settled for the basic rubber valve stem. I picked up my rig yesterday, and lo and behold this morning that same tire was at 56psi after setting it at 80 yesterday. Tried to expedite something with my dealer, but wound up going to a local tire store not 1/2 mile from my house and had them replace all four valve stems with steel ones. Cost was $40. As they were replacing them, the tire tech
    Attached Files
    Sean & Maureen Haney
    2023 Reflection 320MKS
    Pulled By a 2017 Ford F350 Lariat 6.7L 4WD Dually

You don’t specify what the remedy was.
    I had a similar issue with a brand new tire on my car. Tire shop I bought them from couldn’t find any problem (twice).
    I used soapy water and found a pinhole in the sidewall. Never went to them again.
    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by RV2600RB View Post
      You don’t specify what the remedy was.
      My impression of the OP's post is the rubber stem was incorrectly installed and the fix was new steel valves. Obviously, correctly installed rubber stems could have fixed the issue (losing air), too.

Am I missing something, Rich?

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

By the look of the play in the stem, I'd guess improper installation as Howard mentions or the wrong size ones.

I have a set of 4 GM TPMS sensors that I am going to install on the trailer (came with the truck) when the weather gets a little better. Hopefully they do bettter the the tire no link.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I agree with Howard's "improper rubber valve stem installation" assessment. I've used TPMS sensors on rubber valve stems on towed vehicles for many years and miles without issue.
          2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

When I went to take the trailer for its annual inspection so I could get the license plate renewed, I found one of the tires flat(luckily I store the camper with the stabilizers down). I suspect the valve stem is leaking (found it leaking before) and I also suspect that the Tire Link caps did not help as they put a lot of force on the top of the stem which can lead to failure of the rubber. My guess is the extra weight on top at hwy speeds pulls the valve stem outward (centrifugal force) since the stems lean outward already.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X