Check your suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your suspension

while getting ready to remove tires and drums to look over brakes and to re-pack bearings on our 2020 351 that we bought in July of last year, I removed front and rear spring hanger bolts on right side. Discovered that both brass bushings are shot but no visible damage to bolts. Also noted that front spring packs on both sides are taking on a w shape with distortion showing up at spring pad/axle junction. There are 5 bolts on each side that fasten suspension to spring hangers and easy flex device. 3 are wet but spring hanger bolts are dry. I cannot understand why Dexter/Grand Design uses dry bolts and bushings in the spring hangers when every other suspension bolt is wet. In my opinion the spring pack distortion points to a too light spring pack that needs to be more substantial for the weight of the 5th wheel. The unit has about 7,000 miles on it from a trip to Alaska plus 1100 delivery miles to our purchase dealer in southern Idaho plus a 750 mile trip to bring it home. The only thing that has been in the garage are two bicycles and the 50 amp power cord so over weight is not an issue. Spring pack and axels are from Dexter. I notified dealer who was a bit wish washy and also contacted Grand Design. CS rep at GD was great and set up case number and requested pics of spring packs, axles and right side bolts and bushings. He also wants pics of left side suspension components but I can only do one side at a time. He has received requested pics and hope to hear from him tomorrow.
    After sending pics, I took right side wheel/tire assemblies to local tire shop for balancing. While trying to balance one tire/wheel assembly, tire tech discovered that unit had severe run out (out of round). When he was spinning it up he said there was a lot of movement. It would have taken 14.5 oz to get tire balanced. He said wheel was true and problem was with tire. Had to purchase a new Saliun 14 ply tire. There was obviously a vibration issue which might explain why on the last day of our Alaska trip one glass shower pane shattered. Looks as though a tire warranty claim will be filed. Can’t wait until I get to the left side suspension components. Good news is that right side brake and bearing components are in great shape. Will replace spindle seals and re-pack bearings tomorrow.

Originally posted by Appleguy View Post
    while getting ready to remove tires and drums to look over brakes and to re-pack bearings on our 2020 351 that we bought in July of last year, I removed front and rear spring hanger bolts on right side. Discovered that both brass bushings are shot but no visible damage to bolts. Also noted that front spring packs on both sides are taking on a w shape with distortion showing up at spring pad/axle junction. There are 5 bolts on each side that fasten suspension to spring hangers and easy flex device. 3 are wet but spring hanger bolts are dry. I cannot understand why Dexter/Grand Design uses dry bolts and bushings in the spring hangers when every other suspension bolt is wet. In my opinion the spring pack distortion points to a too light spring pack that needs to be more substantial for the weight of the 5th wheel. The unit has about 7,000 miles on it from a trip to Alaska plus 1100 delivery miles to our purchase dealer in southern Idaho plus a 750 mile trip to bring it home. The only thing that has been in the garage are two bicycles and the 50 amp power cord so over weight is not an issue. Spring pack and axels are from Dexter. I notified dealer who was a bit wish washy and also contacted Grand Design. CS rep at GD was great and set up case number and requested pics of spring packs, axles and right side bolts and bushings. He also wants pics of left side suspension components but I can only do one side at a time. He has received requested pics and hope to hear from him tomorrow.
    After sending pics, I took right side wheel/tire assemblies to local tire shop for balancing. While trying to balance one tire/wheel assembly, tire tech discovered that unit had severe run out (out of round). When he was spinning it up he said there was a lot of movement. It would have taken 14.5 oz to get tire balanced. He said wheel was true and problem was with tire. Had to purchase a new Saliun 14 ply tire. There was obviously a vibration issue which might explain why on the last day of our Alaska trip one glass shower pane shattered. Looks as though a tire warranty claim will be filed. Can’t wait until I get to the left side suspension components. Good news is that right side brake and bearing components are in great shape. Will replace spindle seals and re-pack bearings tomorrow.
    Can you post some of those pictures (please)?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Can you post some of those pictures (please)?
      Yes, but somewhat technically challenged. Any where on the site that shows how to do that?

Comment

Yes, but somewhat technically challenged. Any where on the site that shows how to do that?
        You could try http://photoposting.is-great.net/
        Select the photo, it'll upload it and give you a link to copy for the photo.
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

There's two ways to upload photos. There's an icon on the menu bar or you can use the UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS function and then imbed in the text (the latter is how I do it).

This icon to upload photo:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Upload Photo.JPG Views:	0 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	13887

To embed like I just did above, first select Upload Attachments to get your file, well, uploaded. Then make sure your cursor is in the spot where you want the picture to show in your post, then select "Large" from the options. The pictures do not need to be high fidelity. The snapshot below is only 593x293 pixels. (Smaller size is usually better. If your picture is multi-megabytes in size shrink it down before uploading!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Large.JPG Views:	0 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	13888
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X