Imagine Axle Beam Size Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine Axle Beam Size Questions

Hello everyone. I have been reading lots about the axles on the Imagine line of travel trailers related to the size of the beam, and it's leading me to have a lot of questions. I apologize in advance for all the questions, but I am hoping there is someone here who is much smarter than me in axles and suspensions that can provide some more context.

- From what I gathered, it looks like there was a point in the 2019 Imagine model year where Grand Design switched from 2-3/8" tubes to 3" tubes, perhaps due to spindles being bent and destroying tires? Does anyone know if this is true, and when the switch was?

- Did the switch in beam size impact the GVWR? My assumption is no.

- Does the change in beam size change anything else in the suspension system other than beam size itself and the U-Bolt size? Different hanger sizes or bolt placements, more tire clearance, different spring dimensions, different brakes, etc.?

- Does the change in beam size impact the ability to do other upgrades, like the Morryde CRE3000 / Dexter EZ Flex equalizer upgrade, or the heavy-duty shackle upgrade, or maybe heavier springs if required or desired? On that note, should I consider putting heavier springs on the 2400BH? From my readings, it looks like certainly the 2800BH needed heavier springs and axle, but I haven't seen much for the 2400BH series...

- I haven't been able to confirm what size of beam is on our unit, but if it is the 2-3/8" should I be concerned at all? It looks like I should certainly be keeping a close eye on the wear of our tires to ensure there are no alignment issues.

- I'm assuming if we do have the smaller beam size, that GD / Dexter will only replace if there is an actual issue with the axle, even though it is somewhat of a safety issue and that newer units get the larger 3" beam?

- Is it even possible to switch out to the 3" beam from the 2-3/8"?

Again, sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to navigate my way through this crazy world of suspension. Thanks everyone!

- Steve
    Last edited by StephenO; 06-08-2020, 02:50 PM.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Steve

A couple ways to know what axels you have,
    There is a tag on the rearward side of the axel , this tag should say Dexter on it and it should have a weight rating, 3500# or 4400#.
    If that tag is missing take a string or piece of tape and wrap around the axel tube and mark where the end meet , measure this length , if over 9" then you have 3" tubes , if under you have 2-3/8" tubes.

I believe the only recall I can find is for some that may not have had an inner wheel bearing installed. You can find the recalls here https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-support/recalls.

Switching the beam size will not increase the GVW sticker on the side of the RV , it will remain the same.

Cate&Rob will probably have better info for you.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
    X