No announcement yet.

Check your hub temps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting what Dexter says the acceptable hubs temps are. We have had many RVs over the years. Our biggest and heaviest was over 40' and grossed out at just under 27,000#. I have never experienced hub temps above lukewarm. Yes, after a long downhill grade the hubs can get warmer, but never too hot to touch. Up to 300* seems way out of line....frankly the 150* seems awlful warm and hotter than I've experienced even on long downgrades. I always remove my center caps on my wheels so I can touch the hubs at each periodic stop. I did find one bearing starting to have a problem over 20 years ago. I do like the idea of an IR gun.
    Last edited by Krohsis; 10-27-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krohsis View Post
      Interesting what Dexter says the acceptable hubs temps are. We have had many RVs over the years. Our biggest and heaviest was over 40' and grossed out at just under 27,000#. I have never experienced hub temps above lukewarm. Yes, after a long downhill grade the hubs can get warmer, but never too hot to touch. Up to 300* seems way out of line....frankly the 150* seems awlful warm and hotter than I've experienced even on long downgrades. I always remove my center caps on my wheels so I can touch the hubs at each periodic stop. I did find one bearing starting to have a problem over 20 years ago. I do like the idea of an IR gun.
      Dexter didn't say that 300* was normal for the hub temp. They said 180 to 190* wasn't out of line for a hub depending on load, and that the grease was good up to 300*. I had asked them at what temp would the grease would start to breakdown.

My hubs are running around 120* now that they have some miles on them.
      2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate 4x4, magnetic grey
      2019 Momentum 381M w/Reese Goosebox 2.0, no FBP :(

Comment

Working...
      X