Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flyfshrockies
    replied
    jsmith6541 O.K. if level then I am stumped. Have you checked the rear axel to see if it is bowed down in the center. Take a taught string pulled across the bottom of the axel in question. Does it touch the axel in the center? if it does it could well be bent from over loading at some point or road impact from a hard knock. The axel should be bowed up in the center to some extent and will straighten somewhat as the trailer is loaded. Both insides equally worn in the rear seems like a loading thing in the past to me, how do the springs look? As I said I am no expert on this issue. Good luck.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• 315RLTSinPA
    replied
    I would say that is a good sign of a bent axle. Grand Design won't warranty it since you are the second owner, but I think Dexter has a 5yr warranty. Call them directly. The warranty will probably get you the same size axle as a replacement.
    I had this same problem last year. I said the heck with the warranty and replaced my 5200lb axles with 7000lb axles.

Leave a comment:

• jsmith6541
    replied
    Hi Dave,
    Excellent advice. I often see trailers on the highway that are way out of level.
    Yes I set up my hitch on level ground and made sure the trailer sits level. It is within plus/minus an inch measuring from the ground to the frame front and back when on level ground.

Leave a comment:

• flyfshrockies
    replied
    jsmith6541 I am not an expert, others on here know way more, could certainly be a bent axel, however it could be that the front of the trailer is high and is putting a lot of stress and weight on the rear axel causing it to over flex. Does your trailer sit level when ready to roll? Hopefully others with more knowledge will take note and comment.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• jsmith6541
    started a topic Bent Axle?

Bent Axle?

I have a 2019 Imagine XLS Model 21BHE. I am the second owner. Bought it last spring and used it all summer. So far I love the trailer. EXCEPT. I just noticed both rear tires are extremely worn on the inside edge. The tires directly in front of them on the front axle show no signs of unusual wear. All 4 tires are original. I always check air pressure and maintain the bearings. The bearings are not the problem. I believe the rear axle is bent.
    I'm disappointed because I think the axles and suspension are undersized for the trailer. UVW is 4694 lbs. The GVWR(5495) exceeds the sum of the hitch weight(456) and the combined axle capacity(5000) by 39lbs. Yes this trailer only has 2500 lbs axles! I think that was a very poor design choice.

I also noticed that the 2021 models of this trailer have the same UVW, yet the GVWR is now rated 6395 lbs., which means they are now using heavier rated axles and suspension. Hmmmmmmm?

I called GD. They said since I am not the original owner, it is not under warranty.
    Any advice?

Thanks,
    Jason
Working...
X