Bent Axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Axle?

I have a 2019 Imagine XLS Model 21BHE. I am the second owner. Bought it last spring and used it all summer. So far I love the trailer. EXCEPT. I just noticed both rear tires are extremely worn on the inside edge. The tires directly in front of them on the front axle show no signs of unusual wear. All 4 tires are original. I always check air pressure and maintain the bearings. The bearings are not the problem. I believe the rear axle is bent.
    I'm disappointed because I think the axles and suspension are undersized for the trailer. UVW is 4694 lbs. The GVWR(5495) exceeds the sum of the hitch weight(456) and the combined axle capacity(5000) by 39lbs. Yes this trailer only has 2500 lbs axles! I think that was a very poor design choice.

I also noticed that the 2021 models of this trailer have the same UVW, yet the GVWR is now rated 6395 lbs., which means they are now using heavier rated axles and suspension. Hmmmmmmm?

I called GD. They said since I am not the original owner, it is not under warranty.
    Any advice?

Thanks,
    Jason
    Jason Smith
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE
    2021 Ford F150 3.5L Eco Boost with tow package

jsmith6541 I am not an expert, others on here know way more, could certainly be a bent axel, however it could be that the front of the trailer is high and is putting a lot of stress and weight on the rear axel causing it to over flex. Does your trailer sit level when ready to roll? Hopefully others with more knowledge will take note and comment.

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Hi Dave,
      Excellent advice. I often see trailers on the highway that are way out of level.
      Yes I set up my hitch on level ground and made sure the trailer sits level. It is within plus/minus an inch measuring from the ground to the frame front and back when on level ground.
      Jason Smith
      2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE

Comment

I would say that is a good sign of a bent axle. Grand Design won't warranty it since you are the second owner, but I think Dexter has a 5yr warranty. Call them directly. The warranty will probably get you the same size axle as a replacement.
        I had this same problem last year. I said the heck with the warranty and replaced my 5200lb axles with 7000lb axles.
        2018 Reflection 315RLTS
        2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

jsmith6541 O.K. if level then I am stumped. Have you checked the rear axel to see if it is bowed down in the center. Take a taught string pulled across the bottom of the axel in question. Does it touch the axel in the center? if it does it could well be bent from over loading at some point or road impact from a hard knock. The axel should be bowed up in the center to some extent and will straighten somewhat as the trailer is loaded. Both insides equally worn in the rear seems like a loading thing in the past to me, how do the springs look? As I said I am no expert on this issue. Good luck.

Dave
          flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Being a used camper it would be hard not to place some of the blame on the previous owner , unless you know them and had traveled with them while they used the camper. They could have done some kind of damage or towed with the nose high a few times or even overloaded the rear of the camper enough times that the axel bent and you were the recipient of bad fortune. All manufactures use axels that are undersized by a certain amount , usually close to the tongue or pin weight. Yours is only 495# under , mine is 995# under. Yes on the new models they have increased the GVW but it still probably has undersized axels. If Dexter does not warranty this then I would suggest replacing the axel , or both if you want to go to a 3000# axel. You could also turn those tires around and wear out the other side this year and do the axel in the fall , just kidding of course.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'm going to throw this one in there, don't forget to check the center to center of the hubs. If the axles are not aligned to each other funny things happen. Also check to see that the axle is not bent rearward from centerline (indicating something like a hard it to a curb or pothole).

You may want to check for binding in the equalizer on the axles also. I do this by jacking up one axle and observing what's happening. You may need to grease the pivot bolts on the ends of the springs.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

My point about the increased GVWR on the new model is:

The fact that GD increased the GVWR by putting heavier axles on the 2021 model without the UVW changing is an indication that the previous lighter axle/GVWR combination WAS problematic.
                I believe the cargo carrying capacity for the trailer with the previous lighter axle/GVWR combination was not "practical" for many users and caused problems with the axles.....so here I am....after having spent $$$ on a brand with a good reputation....paying for new axles, tires....for a design flaw that has now been remedied on the 2021 model.

Just my thoughts.
                Jason Smith
                2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE

Comment

Jason, my heart goes out to you. We had a similar problem in 2014 when we bought a new Reflection 337. We had identical tire wear on the rear axle, and contacted the factory. We found that they had put 5200 lb. axles on, when the proper axle was 6000 lb. I don't know whether our situation caused it, but this became a factory recall. The factory sent two axles and four tires to Tarpley RV in Durango, CO, near where we were camped. It does seem that your situation is similar. Brad Smith and Jerry McCarthy are two people who might help you. We have had great accommodations from GD which helped us upgrade to a 2020 Solitude. The second owner makes it challenging on their end though. Hope you get some help.
                  2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

jsmith6541

There certainly appears to be something wrong with that one axle. A new axle is not particularly expensive. The "least stress" solution is just to replace it.

On the topic of "upsizing" the axles . . . if you do this, don't go too far. There is a perspective by some, that larger capacity axles (actually stronger springs on the axle assembly) is a good thing to do. This is not necessarily true. This would mean that the springs will flex much less because they are carrying less weight than they were designed for and the trailer will get a much rougher ride. The spring capacity should be matched as closely as possible to the weight carried so that the entire range of spring flex is used . . . giving the trailer as smooth a ride as possible. (in my opinion). Think of how an empty box trailer bounces around back there vs how smoothly it rides when carrying a load.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      jsmith6541

There certainly appears to be something wrong with that one axle. A new axle is not particularly expensive. The "least stress" solution is just to replace it.

On the topic of "upsizing" the axles . . . if you do this, don't go too far. There is a perspective by some, that larger capacity axles (actually stronger springs on the axle assembly) is a good thing to do. This is not necessarily true. This would mean that the springs will flex much less because they are carrying less weight than they were designed for and the trailer will get a much rougher ride. The spring capacity should be matched as closely as possible to the weight carried so that the entire range of spring flex is used . . . giving the trailer as smooth a ride as possible. (in my opinion). Think of how an empty box trailer bounces around back there vs how smoothly it rides when carrying a load.

Rob
                      I agree with that.
                      But my point was...even GD had upsized the axles in this model for 2021.....because the difference between UVW and GVWR was not sufficient with the lighter axle/GVWR combination, otherwise why would they bump it up to larger axles. I personally feel that GD should upgrade my axles to what they have on the 2021........a design change they felt was necessary. But that likely won't happen, so I am disappointed because I spent a lot of money for a brand I looked up to. I've owned 3 other, much cheaper and older, travel trailers and never had tire wear and axle problems like this.

I will probably increase the axles/suspension to either 3000 or 3500 lbs axles. Right now I'm gathering advice so that I don't, like you mentioned, oversize them too much....because it will not flex properly and be a rough rider. The RV dealer near me, but not a GD dealer, suggested 3500 lbs axles.
                      Jason Smith
                      2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE

Comment

Jason, We all go thru this. Just after we bought ours, the spring hangers, stove/oven,and the light over the door were upgraded and interior mods were made including medicine cabinets. The TireLink was also added. At what point is the Mfgr not responsible for retroactive upgrades? Now 8K axles and disc brakes are an available upgrade. Should I be able to take mine back and get that upgrade done at the option cost?We are having to balance the spring hanger upgrade against how much we will be travelling and the timing of the IS / disc brake upgrade. It is just the nature of the beast that "allows" such frequent upgrades to be made during production rather than like many other processes that require to wait until the line is shut down at the end of the model year for retooling.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by jsmith6541 View Post

I agree with that.
                          But my point was...even GD had upsized the axles in this model for 2021.....because the difference between UVW and GVWR was not sufficient with the lighter axle/GVWR combination, otherwise why would they bump it up to larger axles. I personally feel that GD should upgrade my axles to what they have on the 2021........a design change they felt was necessary. But that likely won't happen, so I am disappointed because I spent a lot of money for a brand I looked up to. I've owned 3 other, much cheaper and older, travel trailers and never had tire wear and axle problems like this.

I will probably increase the axles/suspension to either 3000 or 3500 lbs axles. Right now I'm gathering advice so that I don't, like you mentioned, oversize them too much....because it will not flex properly and be a rough rider. The RV dealer near me, but not a GD dealer, suggested 3500 lbs axles.
                          I've gone through this as well with my MY17 Imagine 2600RB with 3500lb axles and 1750lb flattened springs, 5 lug wheels and D rated tires with floor contact. Ouch.
                          The newer models came out with 4400lb axles, 2200lb springs, 6 lug wheels and E rated tires. I felt the unit should have been recalled.
                          I went with one inch lift blocks, new 1750lb springs, CRE3000, wet bolts and E rated Goodyear Endurance tires where so far, its holding up. So to Robs point, this rig does ride smooth. So smooth I would like to have shocks to dampen things out a bit.

We still however love our Imagine.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                            Jason, We all go thru this. Just after we bought ours, the spring hangers, stove/oven,and the light over the door were upgraded and interior mods were made including medicine cabinets. The TireLink was also added. At what point is the Mfgr not responsible for retroactive upgrades? Now 8K axles and disc brakes are an available upgrade. Should I be able to take mine back and get that upgrade done at the option cost?We are having to balance the spring hanger upgrade against how much we will be travelling and the timing of the IS / disc brake upgrade. It is just the nature of the beast that "allows" such frequent upgrades to be made during production rather than like many other processes that require to wait until the line is shut down at the end of the model year for retooling.

I guess when the equipment is defective, not just a convenience or performance upgrade.
                            Jason Smith
                            2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE

Comment

Originally posted by jsmith6541 View Post

I guess when the equipment is defective, not just a convenience or performance upgrade.
                              I don’t know that there’s any evidence that the equipment is defective. As suggested earlier you don’t know what the previous owner did or did not do, they may have overloaded the trailer or not a curb with it. Grand Design had on GVWR on the trailer the year you bought, and the axles support that weight, then in a subsequent year their customer feedback suggested they should increase the GVWR on that model so they built it with larger axles. There’s no malicious intent there. You got what you paid for, if you wanted a higher carrying capacity you should have looked at the newer model, or a different floor plan.

Believe me, I don’t drink the kool side, I’ve had my fair share of issues with my trailer (they just replaced my entire wall out of warranty), but I don’t see how they used defective equipment.

You don’t mention any of your actual weights, but if the tongue weight you’re referencing is the one from the brochure, yours is probably quite a bit higher. It’s usually 10-15% off the total, so if you’re at the axle weight then your tongue weight is probably close to 500-750 pounds, which is how they come up with a GVWR of 5495. The trailer as built is designed to carry that GVWR with margin to spare.

I agree that does not give you much carrying capacity, but unfortunately there are several models with that issue. There’s a Solitude I saw at a rally once with cavernous storage under a rear bedroom, but when I looked at the tag, it had around 1,000 pounds of carrying capacity. They’ve since made 8,000 pound axles and option which increases it by 2,000 pounds, but that’s still how it was made for several years.

The cargo carrying capacity is the second thing I look at after the floor plan itself.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X