No announcement yet.

Tire Lug Nut Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun discussion on this topic. Appreciate all of the input. Met with my tire dealer today and after an interesting discussion I thought I would share my next steps. First I'm sure you are all aware that this is not an isolated problem but one that crosses into both RV and auto territory. Dual piece (aka capped design) is not as "reliable" as a solid lug nut design, regardless of the capping material. Second there are a lot of different lug nut manufacturers out there with numerous styles. We came up with three different and somewhat recommended brands for replacement of the nuts provided by GD: McGard Part No. 64010 previously mentioned by Gene, Gorilla Part No. 41188 (bulk), and Dorman 611-094 (sold in different quantities). Apparently my tire dealer sees issues with this size of lug nut quite often and on both trailers and cars/trucks. He keeps a large stock of the Dorman lug nuts on hand and highly recommends them as a replacement. So, on Friday we will be replacing lug nuts on all four wheels with the Dorman 611-094. You can order a set of 10 on Amazon for $32.47.

As an aside, my GD dealer charges almost $5 per lug.
    Mark & Ellen
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Comment

This morning I took our 337 over to the tire dealer for a new tire to replace one that we damaged during our return from Vermont. I also had him replace the existing GD lug nuts (140003) with new Dorman lug nuts (611-094) per my previous post. Sad to say that after only 2 years of travels, over half of the GD lug nuts were corroded where the stainless steel cap meets the actual steel nut. Attached are two photos; the first shows three of the replaced GD nuts and the second shows a side by side comparison of the old nut with the new one. The cost for total replacement is well worth the piece of mind that comes from eliminating a on-going problem with nut removal. Click image for larger version

Name:	GD Lug Nuts_09242021.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	66637
      Attached Files
      Mark & Ellen
      2020 Reflection 337RLS
      2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Comment

More good points regarding lubricated vs non-lubricated and deformation of aluminum wheel where the lug nut/s seat which led my thought process to elongation factors for the wheel studs and how much torque factors changed between wheel stud sizes vs lug nug sizes Guessing most of it doesn't matter as much as getting the torque relatively equal between all nuts/studs?
        Chris
        2019 Solitude 3740BH
        2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
        X