Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alert Roadmaster Shocks 376THS

A heads up to any 376THS owners

I started an install of the Roadmaster shock system after doing a LOT of research. This appeared to be the next best thing short of the IS which has an install backlog.

When it came time to swing the shocks up for fit check and start the drilling process they will not fit. The frame is too low and the shock will not fit without bottoming the shock. Contacted Roadmaster and sent pics. They informed me the system cannot be installed on my rig and they had no suggestions. I'm not even going to look into a frame raise...

One mistake I made prior to installing any components was I did a fit check of the shock BUT I was on my levelers which obviously raised the frame and they fit great.

Kudos to etrailer they said they would take the parts back...now I need to spend hours removing the installed parts. What fun!

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...
    Retired RV Tech

They worked very well on my Momentum 21G. I think they help, but don't have any data to prove it

If anything they give me piece of mind.

One thing I recommend, weld the brackets to the frame, don't screw them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shocks1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	75770

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shocks 2.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	75769
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

For the OP it looks like you could extend the drop bracket from the spring to achieve the needed compression. Of coarse you will be a bit closer to the ground at the bottom of the shock.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        For the OP it looks like you could extend the drop bracket from the spring to achieve the needed compression. Of coarse you will be a bit closer to the ground at the bottom of the shock.

Jim
        Thought about that, but right now it's equal to the lower half of the wheel and I agree with Roadmaster that if it is lowered and you blow a tire you'd possibly ride on the shock.....

Mark
        2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
        2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
        2020 Momentum 376THS
        We're both proud USAF Retirees...
        Retired RV Tech

Comment

Mark, Would it be possible to get the rates from Roadmaster on the shocks and contact a MFG like Bilstein, Monroe, etc to see if they offer a shock that will fit in the application for the lengths and rates you need?? With all of the lowered imports and other highly modified vehicles on the road, there may be an off the shelf solutioin.

Also, have you checked the loaded spring height on your trailer to verify that the springs are not out of spec?
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by RV Tech Ret View Post

Thought about that, but right now it's equal to the lower half of the wheel and I agree with Roadmaster that if it is lowered and you blow a tire you'd possibly ride on the shock.....

Mark
            RV Tech Ret ,

Yes if the brackets needed to be lowered that much it would be an issue. I've always felt the Roadmaster lower bracket and the Lippert upper bracket would make a good system. The angle on the Lippert shocks are a show stopper and not doable. Some are going with the Sumo springs which would also provide some system damping.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X