New Curt Independent Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Curt Independent Suspension

Wondering if anyone knows if GD is investigating/considering the new CURT Independent Trailer Suspension at any time in the future.
    If anyone knows anything about this, please advise.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Schiefswret

Dave,

I have not heard that GD will be installing this, and have not heard of this suspension yet, it looks pretty good. This is an item we can ask GD when we are there in April.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Good idea Brian. I saw the Curt video and was really impressed. I’m eager to find out if it is capable of and will be offered as a swap-out for TT’s with OEM tandem axels.
      if so, barring some absurd price, I’d be one of the first ones in line!
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
      GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
      SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

I was at the Lippert upgrade installation facility (in Goshen, Elkhart County Indiana yesterday) having an automatic leveling system installed on my travel trailer. I asked whether they had an independent suspension, like Morryde. The answer was yes, sold under the Curt brand. The Lippert person told me that one manufacturer will be using it very soon on trailers sold at retail. I was further told that it takes an engineer time to do calculations for an upgrade on an existing trailer. In view of this complication of getting an engineer involved, and the high price (was not told what it was), it may have been inferred that I would be better off with the Morryde independent suspension than the Curt independent suspension.
        Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
        2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
        2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Anything with proper damping and a sub-frame is better than what we have. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fif3RZcgfZI

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            Anything with proper damping and a sub-frame is better than what we have. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fif3RZcgfZI

Jim
            That is a very interesting and newer video. Two things that I seen was there seems to be the "V" clip installed and also there is no frame support gusset above the spring hangers.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Watched a few minutes of the video. I think I have more questions than answers.

1 - Just me, or did anyone else see the bottom flange damage in front of the middle hanger?
              2 - Above the tires it appears that there has been contact between the tire and the repair tape (guessing this is an ongoing issue), or is that something else?
              3 - Just a thought, but does anyone know if there has ever been a case study of using double swing shackles on the rear axle to prevent the axles from flexing the frame so bad? Would act allow slight variation in axle to axle distance during turns thus steering the camper.
              4 - Why do frame MFG not box the frame above the axles?
              5 - Is the camber of the frame due to the way it's loaded, or is there an underlying issue that needs to be addressed?

This is with less than 3 minutes of watching the video. It almost scares me to see such video's because we all know "IGNORANCE IS BLISS".
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Watched a few minutes of the video. I think I have more questions than answers.

1 - Just me, or did anyone else see the bottom flange damage in front of the middle hanger?
                2 - Above the tires it appears that there has been contact between the tire and the repair tape (guessing this is an ongoing issue), or is that something else?
                3 - Just a thought, but does anyone know if there has ever been a case study of using double swing shackles on the rear axle to prevent the axles from flexing the frame so bad? Would act allow slight variation in axle to axle distance during turns thus steering the camper.
                4 - Why do frame MFG not box the frame above the axles?
                5 - Is the camber of the frame due to the way it's loaded, or is there an underlying issue that needs to be addressed?

This is with less than 3 minutes of watching the video. It almost scares me to see such video's because we all know "IGNORANCE IS BLISS".
                Joseph,

I captured video years ago under my rig and found that most lateral motion was on the center hangers. So I installed the Morryde X factor bracket and have not looked back. Heavier rigs should have V clips installed at a minimum on the rear hangers which exhibit the most failures.

Floor contact was an issue years ago with 3500 lb axles on larger models that now use 4400lb axles.

Jim

Comment

It is also important to note that the RV in the video is not a GD.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    It is also important to note that the RV in the video is not a GD.

Brian
                    The lateral motion will be no different with this design from one make to another. There are two thoughts.

1) Make the system flexible and similar to what we have.

2) Make the system rigid like a Morryde or other systems that utilize a rigid sub-frame.

I would rather have a sub-frame and have the suspension system to be rigid.

Our flexible systems work well in general until the rear hangers begin to fail at the leading edge due to braking (spring wrap and reversal) and front axle rise which puts undo stress on the rear most hanger. Once the crack begins, the lateral load begins to work at the hanger until it completely fails. The V clips have been mostly effective in preventing this issue.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2022, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X