Electric over Hydraulic conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric over Hydraulic conversion

It’s been a couple weeks since I finished this but thought I would give a little overview in case someone else was trying it. I got my brake kit and brake lines from Etrailer and got my brake actuator from dexterpartsonline.com, small place back east, cheaper and available. The install went pretty much like I thought it would, the hard parts were figuring where to run the lines and getting my hand into the pin box for the electrical, not fun. All the parts were included however I did not like how short the bolts that hold the caliper mounting plates were, so I had to buy some longer ones. I put the actuator next to the batteries, one I don’t plan on getting anymore and I wanted to be able to see inside for the fluid level. I then ran the lines behind the generator and out the side by the propane tank. Iran the lines along the frame and then under to the front axle. I had planned to run to the back axle first but couldn’t find a good place to transition to under the frame, so I do have some line coiled up in the front compartment. I went with flex line because me and hard lines do not get along. Did not go into the under belly because I just didn’t want to brake that seal and the 4 way and 3way connections would have been hidden, not good for leaks, which I had at first. The line between the axle was shorter than I thought it should be, so to mount it I had to improvise. I had a piece of aluminum that I mounted on the side then mounted a line clamp to that, worked out great I think.
    The electrical was not fun, mainly because of the space. I fished 10awg wire from pin box to the front compartment, not really hard, I had already fished wires thru there when I did the dc to dc charger, also since I felt the fiberglass was lower behind the pin box I hung some heavy rubber with Velcro to keep water from blowing in. When I was bleeding the brakes I had my wife pull the breakaway switch and she keep the fluid topped off. I haven’t pulled the trailer yet but I did hook up the truck and no bad messages in the truck yet. Here are some pictures of the install.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F5D50359-3826-4AB3-A0ED-5B449FECFB5E.jpeg
Views:	666
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	77910 Click image for larger version

Name:	6623381C-BD88-4C1C-8358-0F2E7DE14549.jpeg
Views:	457
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	77911 Click image for larger version

Name:	17A7DFA8-3881-4C55-B94A-53C71D4B267C.jpeg
Views:	439
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	77913 Click image for larger version

Name:	136E6AD1-FC94-46CA-8D45-ADD7EE9572B0.jpeg
Views:	447
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	77912
    Jim and Cindy
    2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
    2021 320G

Hogdrv -- being able to see the fluid level is something I didn't give enough thought to when I had the Hydrastar installed. That reservoir is small.

Thanks for the post.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Nice job! Disk Braked should be great. I'm looking forward to getting mine in April, with MORryde doing the install.
      Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
      2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
      2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

howson since you have the hydrastar I have a couple questions, first is it normal for the pitch of the actuator to change when the pressure builds and the sound never goes away while the brakes are pressed? And second while sitting in traffic, like traffic lights, stop and go, have you noticed any over heat problems with the actuator?

Thanks
        Jim
        Jim and Cindy
        2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
        2021 320G

Comment

Hogdrv

Hi Jim . . . not meaning to answer for Howard, I have EoH brakes with a Brake Rite actuator which functions in the same manner.

It is normal for the sound to change when the actuator reaches max set pressure. (I am told that this is a pressure valve opening in the actuator to prevent over-pressure.) The actuator continues to run until the brakes are released.

The truck will not activate the trailer brakes (with the brake pedal) at stop-and-go speeds, to prevent unnecessary use or overheating as you suspect. You can activate the trailer brakes with the hand control when stopped or crawling (a good time to check their function).

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob good info

Jim
            Jim and Cindy
            2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
            2021 320G

Comment

Hogdrv Wow that is quite the undertaking. I think you will find it worth the effort. I love our trailer's disc brake system. A couple of weeks ago, I was in moderately heavy traffic in the center of three lanes, towing the trailer at 62 mph, and passing a line of semi's in the slow lane doing about 45 mph. All of a sudden one of the trucks pulled directly in front of me ( I guess she didn't see me? headlights and markers all on a giant fifth wheel?) Scared the truck driver next to me that he laid on his air horn. That is the hardest brake application I have made in about 10K miles of towing this thing, and I actually thought I was going to collide with the truck.

Nope. Brakes slowed that combo down right now. When the left lane cleared I went around that truck. Driver seemed to be making apologetic motions as I went by (at least I think thats what they were).

I had to get used to the system at first as there is a different "feel" to the disc vs drum brakes at first. I run my controller at level 6.5
              Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
              2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
              2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
              2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
              Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

DarnDave That sounds scary, for sure. Last summer I had to make a panic stop, not as bad as yours, but when I got home ( 3 miles later) I found one of the brake adjustment springs and screw had broken and were inside the drum, I wrote a post here titled screeching brakes. Since then I have been looking for something better and read where other people were able to change over to disc brakes, so I thought why not. Looking forward to testing them out, I believe next week I’ll have the time. Good to know where to start the brake controller,that’s where I’ll start 6.5.

Thanks
                Jim
                Jim and Cindy
                2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                2021 320G

Comment

Hogdrv DarnDave

It was a similar situation, being cut off by someone who then jumped on their brakes that convinced me that there had to be a better way to stop this rig than 1950's electric drum brakes . . . thus the EoH brakes. The best $2K that I ever spent on safety. On the occasions that I had to come on to the brakes aggressively, I began to see cars coming around from behind. I realized that my OE brake lights were nearly invisible in bright sunlight. This led to the addition of much larger LED brake lights to give as much notice as possible to those behind me that I am braking faster than you expect !

I wondered if the 5th wheel would push the new F350 around as much as it did the old F150, (without the trailer brakes). The answer is yes! On our recent travels, I lost the trailer brakes for a while (cord problem between trailer and truck) and had one heavy braking incident from about 60 MPH. The F350 was sliding, being pushed by the Reflection with no brakes. Under normal conditions (even heavy braking) I can feel the trailer EoH brakes pulling back on the truck. Not really much different than it was with the lighter truck. I am running with "Medium Apply" setting and 6.5 Gain.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob

I’m with you on the brake lights I added 20.5” led lights already and have on back order ( next week hopefully) another set to put even higher. Your comment about the best $2k spent it was sent me over the edge 👍

Jim Click image for larger version  Name:	D7D25F18-C1C4-4770-A5CF-8C9010EE8390.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	114.4 KB ID:	78060
                    Last edited by Hogdrv; 03-01-2022, 02:28 PM.
                    Jim and Cindy
                    2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                    2021 320G

Comment

Working...
                    X