Spindle scoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle scoring

Doing my annual bearing inspection and came across spindle scoring and the bearing. The race and rollers are fine. 13000 miles on my 2019 and have the original bearings. Should I lightly sand (Emory cloth) the spindle, repack bearing and continue on? Or replace the bearing and race?
    Attached Files
    Chip and Janice
    2019 303RLS, 2019 F350 LB Diesel Dually
    B&W Companion
    Goodyear Endurance
    Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Popeye -- many others here are far more experienced on these types of issues, but I'll toss in my .02: replace both the race and bearing as a set and remove all doubt. Cate&Rob ?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I’d be inclined to replace. May just be the picture, but it kind of looks like rust on the spindle. Is it smooth?
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

It’s smooth so I was thinking that it got hot from maybe not enough grease.
        Chip and Janice
        B&W Companion
        Goodyear Endurance
        Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

The three other wheels/spindles/bearings all looked fine. I don’t post on here very often to figure out how to post on individual comments.
          Chip and Janice
          B&W Companion
          Goodyear Endurance
          Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

They’ll spin if the fit is too loose or if the bearing seizes briefly. I’d clean it up and put a new bearing and race there. If you are like me, write yourself a note so you know which one had the problem when you check the next time.
            John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Thanks, y’all convinced me to go ahead and replace the race and bearing. And I’ll make a note as to which one it was 👍
              Chip and Janice
              B&W Companion
              Goodyear Endurance
              Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

I'm not an expert, nor do I play one on TV... what I have learned... the brownish discoloured areas are fretting corrosion caused by vibration/ friction and the oxidation of tiny metal particles. I had this condition on three of four wheels on a previous trailer. I replaced the bearings and races all around. Ensure proper seating of the bearings when re-installing. I had my wheels balanced and I think that helped.

Mike
                Mike & Sonya
                2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                Blue Ox SwayPro
                2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I see rust between the bearing inner race and the spindle surface but not "scoring" of the spindle. Scoring would be circular marks around the spindle indicating that the bearing inner race was spinning against the spindle. Replacing the bearing and the outer race in the hub as a set would be fine, but I don't see a problem that requires this. I have often found rust at this interface (more often on the inner bearing for some reason) and all this means is that moisture (maybe condensation?) is causing these surfaces to rust. If anything, rust like shown in the picture confirms that the inner race is staying in one position on the spindle . . . which it is supposed to.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob. I thought it was scoring from friction heat due to not enough grease, but your explanation makes more sense.
                    Chip and Janice
                    B&W Companion
                    Goodyear Endurance
                    Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

I think this is a good example of scoring. Note this is on my previous 5er (non GD unit).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bearing.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	91507
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I had a similar rust ring on two of the four axles. The bearings/races and axle looked good, so I cleaned off the rust with a paper towel and reinstalled them with a lot of grease. I will recheck them at the end of the season, but I don't expect any problems.
                        Blessings,
                        Kevin & Tracy
                        2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
                        2016 Chevy Silverado 1500

Comment

Working...
                        X