Mixed panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed panels

Hello. I have 2 Furrion solar panels 165w each on my roof with a 50a Furrion charge controller. I know I can add a couple more panels on the controller . As I look at the specs for the current panels, one was factory installed and one dealer installed and I see mismatched specs. Panel one is 165w, vmp18.7v, lmp 8.82a, voc 23.12v, lsc 9.49a. Panel two is 165w, vmp 19.4v, lmp 8.5a, voc 28.83v, lsc8.91a. My question is can I add two non-Furrion 180w panels:
    Open Circuit Voltage Voc (V) 21.6±5%
    Max Power Voltage Vmp (V) 18±5%
    Max Power Current Imp (A) 10±5%
    Short Circuit Current Isc (A) 10.5A
    Solar Cells Efficiency 21.2
    I know ideally one shouldn’t mix if possible and there will be some system loss but are these proposed panels within standard since nothing matches?
    2021 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 295RL
    US Army RET

Originally posted by Skidlm View Post
    Hello. I have 2 Furrion solar panels 165w each on my roof with a 50a Furrion charge controller. I know I can add a couple more panels on the controller . As I look at the specs for the current panels, one was factory installed and one dealer installed and I see mismatched specs. Panel one is 165w, vmp18.7v, lmp 8.82a, voc 23.12v, lsc 9.49a. Panel two is 165w, vmp 19.4v, lmp 8.5a, voc 28.83v, lsc8.91a. My question is can I add two non-Furrion 180w panels:
    Open Circuit Voltage Voc (V) 21.6±5%
    Max Power Voltage Vmp (V) 18±5%
    Max Power Current Imp (A) 10±5%
    Short Circuit Current Isc (A) 10.5A
    Solar Cells Efficiency 21.2
    I know ideally one shouldn’t mix if possible and there will be some system loss but are these proposed panels within standard since nothing matches?
    You can certainly add any panel to any array. However, some of your panels will not be efficient.

For example if you have 2 different panels wired in parallel, one panel Voc is 21.6 and the other Voc is 23.12, the array Voc will be 21.6 (the lowest of the 2 panels). Thus the panel with 23.12 Voc looses some efficiency in the array.

This also applies when wiring panels in series. If one panel has Imp of 10A and the other panel Imp is 8.82A, the array Imp will be 8.82A.

I hope that makes sense.

So, if you are using differing panels in the same array, try to match the voltage and current output as closely as possible to keep from losing too much energy potential.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

In addition to these comments above, you will need to check the specs on the Furrion controller (max input voltage & amps specifically) and have an idea of the cable gauge (probably 10awg?) going to the controller from the panels.

Not sure how the two panels are currently wired (series or parallel) - but my guess is that you can probably set up a 2-Series 2-Parallel (2S2P) array and probably stay within the limits of your cables and controller. You would need to verify of course.
      Ken & Sandra
      2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Attached how the Furrion panels are wired now. Furrion recommends their panels in series. The controller is the 50A Furrion controller which supports 4 165w or 4 195w Furrion panels and is wired with 10awg. Do I wire the two non-Furrion panels to be added still in series then or differently?
        Last edited by Skidlm; 02-17-2023, 11:19 AM.
        US Army RET

Comment

That appears to be Parallel wiring. Series wiring would be controller to panel 1, panel 1 to panel 2, then panel 2 to controller. Panel 1 to panel 2 would be opposing poles (positive to negative).
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

If you have the 50a MPPT from Furrion it states up to 50A and 135V from the solar array.

Given this, and if it were me, I would wire the panels in series-parallel. Meaning you would take 2 of the panels and wire them together in series, then take the other 2 panels and wire them together in series. Then take your 2 sets of panels and wire them together in parallel. This will keep you current and voltage within the MPPT limits and, in my opinion, give you the most efficient setup.
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43, if my batteries are wired in parallel does changing the panel configuration to series-parallel affect that? This all still a 12v system? Thanks
              US Army RET

Comment

acoleman43, if my batteries are wired in parallel does changing the panel configuration to series-parallel affect that? This all still a 12v system? Thanks
                Mark's ( acoleman43 ) not online so permit me to jump in and answer.

The configuration of your panels has no affect whatsoever on your 12V battery bank.

Remember that the solar array's output goes to the solar controller's PV input. The output of the solar controller is still connected to your battery bank as it was before (no change whatsover).
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks@howson. The two 165w Furrion panels having different configurations which I didn’t expect has thrown me for a loop and then adding in 2 more of another brand, albeit same output configuration just added to my confusion. Thanks to all of you - I am learning a lot. I’m rewiring and fusing most everything the dealer added and installing cutoffs as appropriate. Appreciate your expertise.
                  US Army RET

Comment

Skidlm As mentioned by Howard, the solar system takes input wattage regardless of the voltage and converts it to the necessary voltage and amperage to charge the batteries. Think of the solar controller as a battery charger that plugs into the wall (it's just a bit more complicated). It takes one voltage and converts it into another, the main difference is the solar controller is DC-DC.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Skidlm

I came across this excellent article from Explorist Life. It explains well, I think, the considerations. Great diagrams too.

This blog post will teach you how using mixed and mismatched sizes of solar panels in the same array will affect the output of the entire array.
                      Ken & Sandra
                      2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

I'll repeat Exactly what Howard and Joseph said

The solar charge controller will convert the voltage coming form the solar array into the voltage required for you battery bank (12v). That's why you need a solar charge controller (like the Furrion MPPT solar charge controller you currently have).
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                        X