Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding solar to a 2019 Momentum 28G

Hello.

I am looking to add a couple of solar panels to our 28G and haven’t seen any other threads on this model. It is old enough that it does NOT have any factory installed panels and I’d NOT prepped for solar.

As anyone who has a 28G can attest the storage is minimal at best so the first question is where do you put the “stuff”. Ours did come with a generator so that space is out. The only space I can see is the external storage in the front (just outside the hanging wardrobe). I think I saw somewhere that the lower panel can be removed and a fair amount of space is available. I think this is going to be my best/only option.

I have upgraded the battery on the tongue to 2 100 AH lithium batteries. I’m not overly excited to have expensive batteries out in the open so to speak but so far we don’t have the solar setup so there isn’t a lot of advertising that the batteries are anything other than a single AGM so there hasn’t been any interest in the growing legs, yet.

I have also purchased the upgraded WFCO converter/charger but it seems if I go with a Victron setup, seems that is what most do, I don’t think I will need the new WFCO unit. Is that correct?

then there is the whole question about where to put the panels. The roof is the obvious location but I am still reluctant to put holes in the roof. We have the second AC unit so there isn’t a lot of room as well. Looks like there is a fair amount of space above the garage but then you have to deal with the length of the wiring runs. I guess that issue can be addressed by using heavier gauge wiring though, right?

So, a lot of rambling and not a lot of dir3ct questions but I guess in general I’m looking to see if anyone else with a 2019 28G has added solar and what their experience is/was.

Have a great day and thanks.

Regards,
    Bill
    Bill & Leslie
    2019 Momentum G Class 28G
    2008 Ford F250 CrewCab 4x4

acoleman43 has done his Momentum TT, not the same model though, he will be along to help as well as others.

Depending on your "end" game of what you are trying to get to will depend on what all you will need. Let us know what you want your system to do for you and surely we will help you with some suggestions and tips.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Opps. With all of my other ramblings I neglected that info.

My “end game” is it be able to dry camp for a week (7-10 days) with minimal (none) generator use.

i understand that my 2 100 Ah batteries aren’t going to be enough for that goal. I guess my “mid-term game” is dry camping for 3-5 days.

i do understand that the generator could provide plenty of power for those timeframes but I am trying to minimize generator use so that I am not dependent on fuel and to eliminate the noise associated with the generator.

Thanks,
      Bill
      Bill & Leslie

Comment

BillG you have plenty of room for solar panels .

I have the baby 21G and fit 1200W of panels on the roof. I do have room for 1600W, but that would cover entire roof and wanted to leave some space

I also installed a separate connection for portable panels where I can have up to 800W of portable panels if needed.

Believe it or not, you do have options.

As far as holes in the roof, after you've put a few holes in the roof you get over it lol. Done correctly it shouldn't be an issue.

I ended up putting all batteries, inverter, solar charge controllers, etc in the external storage. It worked out well....and have room left for my Milwaukee Packout collection.

With our system if we have good sun exposure during the day, we have gone up to 2 weeks without using the generator. Honestly, if we don't have to use the air conditioner, and if we have good sun exposure, we could camp indefinitely.

The constraining factor for you will be money

Ask your questions, there are many on this forum who really know what they're doing and can answer any question you have.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by BillG View Post
          I have upgraded the battery on the tongue to 2 100 AH lithium batteries. I’m not overly excited to have expensive batteries out in the open so to speak but so far we don’t have the solar setup so there isn’t a lot of advertising that the batteries are anything other than a single AGM so there hasn’t been any interest in the growing legs, yet.
          I also have my LiFePo batteries still mounted on my tongue but bought 2 of these:
          https://www.statetrailer.com/product...00&detail=true

Not foolproof but better than the nylon strap.
          2022 Momentum 23G
          2018 Ford F150 3.5L

Comment

I definitely understand that money will be the determining factor. I will most likely spend some time, and $$, gathering pieces and parts and then work on installation.

I had not seen the battery box lock before. I will measure my box and pick a couple of those up provided they fit. I expect they will fit as I just got a longer box for the 2 LiFePo batteries so the circumference dimensions should be a standard/common size.

I’m going to go ahead and swap out the WFCO converter/charger since if nothing else it will be a few months before I am installing a solar solution and I might as well get the full benefit of the batteries.

What has been folks experience with used solar panels? I have not really heard any horror stories but I might have missed them as well.

Bill & Leslie

Comment

BillG Solar panels have a "lifespan" of about 20 years. Like lithium batteries they will slowly become less efficient over the years. If I remember right, most panel manufacturers guarantee 80% of original efficiency at 15 or 20 years. So, the only downside to used panels is the lost efficiency. The newer the panel, the more efficient it will be.

Swapping the converter/charger won't hurt anything, and it's an easy upgrade to get you going right away. Not a bad idea.

As far as using the exterior storage area for your batteries, below was my 21G before I modified this area. I think the 28G is pretty similar. Mine came with the "solar package". You can see the inverter and solar charge controller control switches/ control panels against the back wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	120167

I removed the back wall portion to reveal this

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	120168

I removed the inverter, etc and found there is more room than I originally thought. (almost doubled the depth in the lower section)

Name:	progress2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	120166

I ended up placing my batteries in the bottom of the external storage area.
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I have installed 400W of solar and two 100AH lithiums on my 2019 28G. There are 11 pictures in all so will be posting 3 times. Sorry for flooding you with pictures but they will give you an idea of where to begin your install. 43 and 44 are pictures of my DC to DC charger that connects to my truck. 44 is where it is located up under there. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	120205 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1041.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	120206 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1044.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	120207 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	120208 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1042.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	120209
                2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	120211 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	120212 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	120213 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	120214 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	120215 These are where the wiring was run. 48 is a false wall I installed after running wires.
                  2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	120217 You can see my two panels in this one. The are 200W each. The holes were stressful, but the finish product is perfect. Also 41 shows my 2K watt invertor connection. I set it on top of the battery box and plug my 30A trailer plug into it so I have use of everything inside. Once I install my soft starts I will be able to run an ac.
                    2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

Working...
                    X