Winterizing a solar camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing a solar camper

I am new to solar- just picked up a 2022 280RL with the base solar (175W) panel. The controller has been replaced, Has a Renology 40A MPPT charger. I read the manual, and it says when installing, to make sure to connect the battery first- having the panel installed to a controller with no battery can cause damage. I am going to cover the trailer, and we can get significant snow, so I think I need to pull the battery and bring it inside to make sure it does not freeze- like I do for my non- solar old trailer.
    There are no instructions for winterizing that I can find, but it seems reasonable that I need to disconnect the solar panel first, so no current can enter the charge controller, then remove the battery, and reconnect next spring in the reverse order.

Can someone check me on this? I tried searching, but did not see this covered.
    2022 Reflection 280RS
    2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Originally posted by steveluannj View Post
    I am new to solar- just picked up a 2022 280RL with the base solar (175W) panel. The controller has been replaced, Has a Renology 40A MPPT charger. I read the manual, and it says when installing, to make sure to connect the battery first- having the panel installed to a controller with no battery can cause damage. I am going to cover the trailer, and we can get significant snow, so I think I need to pull the battery and bring it inside to make sure it does not freeze- like I do for my non- solar old trailer.
    There are no instructions for winterizing that I can find, but it seems reasonable that I need to disconnect the solar panel first, so no current can enter the charge controller, then remove the battery, and reconnect next spring in the reverse order.

Can someone check me on this? I tried searching, but did not see this covered.
    You've got it exactly correct. Many of us here have added a cutoff switch between the array and input of the controller to make this task simple. Consider adding one. (Below is a snip from my master diagram showing how I inserted a shutoff.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	215
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	125302

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You could pull the battery after covering the camper, this will remove the solar affect. Does the Renogy controller have an "off" button or mode? This could be used as well. Adding the disconnect switch as stated above is the best method and can also be done after covering.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Be careful when removing the battery after covering. Not all covers are 100% light blocking and you could still have voltage potential from the charger there.

No solar here, but from keeping up with all of the stuff, most MFG recommend disconnecting the panels first (cover with 100% blocker or disconnect late at night) then disconnect the battery power. Once disconnected, as Howard suggest, add some type of disconnect between the panels and the controller for future service.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I waited until night, and disconnected the + wire of the panel from the solar controller, then disconnected the battery and brought it in the house. I plan on upgrading the solar and battery setup before spring, so I will be sure to include a solar disconnect in the refit. Thanks for the coaching on this.
          2022 Reflection 280RS
          2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Comment

Working...
          X