DIY solar generator project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY solar generator project

I'm researching building a portable solar generator to supply 12vdc only. This is not a RV related project, but since there is a lot of solar knowledge on the forum I felt I could good get some good advice. Currently what is a good choice for a 100ah LifePo4 battery and a charge controller? This is strictly an experiment so I'd like to keep the cost down. The battery will be kept in my garage so low temp control is not an issue, but high temps are.

At this point I have no idea of what specs the solar panels I use will be, but any suggestions in this area would be appreciated as well.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
    I'm researching building a portable solar generator to supply 12vdc only. This is not a RV related project, but since there is a lot of solar knowledge on the forum I felt I could good get some good advice. Currently what is a good choice for a 100ah LifePo4 battery and a charge controller? This is strictly an experiment so I'd like to keep the cost down. The battery will be kept in my garage so low temp control is not an issue, but high temps are.

At this point I have no idea of what specs the solar panels I use will be, but any suggestions in this area would be appreciated as well.
    I haven't read his website in quite some time, but the products recommended by Will Prowse have never disappointed. https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I haven't read his website in quite some time, but the products recommended by Will Prowse have never disappointed. https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/
      Thanks, I'll take a look at the website. I'm hoping someone can recommend an inexpensive battery as I certainly don't need a Battle Born quality battery for this project. I'm am seeing batteries such as this with built in BMS:
      https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-Ph...1zcF9hdGY&th=1
      Last edited by Lonestar; 05-01-2024, 06:23 PM.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I have also been thinking about this in case of a long power outage for some basic items. When I researched a while back I found some that where already made and some that came in waterproof cases.
        Raymond and Dee Dee
        2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
        2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

I would recommend LiTime batteries. They seem to be the new go to and received good reviews from Will Prowse. Maybe use some portable solar panels for ease of finding the sun, most of these come with a solar controller on them.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            I would recommend LiTime batteries. They seem to be the new go to and received good reviews from Will Prowse. Maybe use some portable solar panels for ease of finding the sun, most of these come with a solar controller on them.

Brian
            I second the vote for LiTime. You can buy them on their site or Amazon. They also have regular sales.
            Trib
            2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
            2021 Momentum 320G
            2021 Road Glide Limited
            See you down the road!!

Comment

I went with LiTime. Look for a sale, and you can get a military discount in addition to their sale price.
              John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
              2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
              ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
              2017 Jayco 26BH
              2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
                I went with LiTime. Look for a sale, and you can get a military discount in addition to their sale price.
                Where do the sales take place? On their website or Amazon? I will go with LiTime for sure.

The Will Prowse Youtube videos answered all my questions and I'm thinking Renogy panels and a MPPT controller may be the solution for me.
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Where do the sales take place? On their website or Amazon? I will go with LiTime for sure.

The Will Prowse Youtube videos answered all my questions and I'm thinking Renogy panels and a MPPT controller may be the solution for me.
                  The sales that I took advantage of were on their website and both were around a holiday. I don't like buying major items on Amazon, but that's just me.
                  John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                  2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                  ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                  2017 Jayco 26BH
                  2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Check out their website. https://www.litime.com. They are having a clearance sale now. The sales are usually reflected on Amazon as well. If you use Amazon make sure the seller is LiTime.
                    Trib
                    2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
                    2021 Momentum 320G
                    2021 Road Glide Limited
                    See you down the road!!

Comment

Working...
                    X