Solar/Inverter Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar/Inverter Wiring

I got my 2021 Imagine 2800BH last week. It came out of the line August 29. On the pass through storage the are two sets of 10GA wires. One is for solar and the other one says inverter. I cant find were the inverter wire goes. Its not where the electrical panels is. Any ideas? Also, why would they run a 10GA wire for inverter?
    2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Originally posted by Giesis View Post
    I got my 2021 Imagine 2800BH last week. It came out of the line August 29. On the pass through storage the are two sets of 10GA wires. One is for solar and the other one says inverter. I cant find were the inverter wire goes. Its not where the electrical panels is. Any ideas? Also, why would they run a 10GA wire for inverter?
    Can you take a picture of the labels on these wires and post it, please?

Please take a look at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...lar-prep-wired for more information on how your GD is wired for solar.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I’ll go to the storage today and do that. Thanks
      2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Can you take a picture of the labels on these wires and post it, please?

Please take a look at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...lar-prep-wired for more information on how your GD is wired for solar.

Howard
        This is what the wires are label as. Thanks
        2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

This is what the wires are label as. Thanks
          Thank you. I have no idea why GD put "inv" on that label. I'll post back once I get more info.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I'm assuming (**WARNING** Assumption) that one set goes to the roof, and the other set goes to the battery.

The mystery set should go into the control center (I forget the name of it) and down into the wall towards the underbelly, across under the cloroplast, and out by the battery, connecting to the circuit breakers.

Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
              I'm assuming (**WARNING** Assumption) that one set goes to the roof, and the other set goes to the battery.

The mystery set should go into the control center (I forget the name of it) and down into the wall towards the underbelly, across under the cloroplast, and out by the battery, connecting to the circuit breakers.
              I thought it might go to the battery but it actually does not. The one comes from the roof and the other one goes towards the back of the trailer. I am going to try and see if GD would be willing to the schematic for the trailer and see if it shows the wires going somewhere.
              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

I thought it might go to the battery but it actually does not. The one comes from the roof and the other one goes towards the back of the trailer. I am going to try and see if GD would be willing to the schematic for the trailer and see if it shows the wires going somewhere.
                There's no schematic. GD has a "Plan" but the wires won't be shown.

I can't even guess why the second set of wires is going aft. The wires have to be connected (eventually) to the battery. That may be through the 30A breakers--possibly even through the Convenience Center panel via a fuse? I'm just guessing--but I know that in a solar setup the wiring goes Panels > Charge Controller > Battery (with a few other items like fuses, shut off switches, etc).

For those who have taken delivery of "Solar Prepped" units--how are the wires that go to the battery situated? Are they loose near the battery? Loose near the 30A breakers? Wrapped up in electrical tape? Please don't tell me they actually connected and that the ends shown in the picture are "live"--that would be bad.

Comment

Giesis , I think your best best is to call GD customer service. You can ask for the schematic (They will give it to you, but as howson states, it's not going to have the information you're looking for), while you are on the call.

Ask them where the wires go. GD is actively changing this. The pre 2018's, the 2019's, the 2020's, and now the 2021's all appear to be done differently, as GD works present the best option to customers.

Let us know what you find out.
                  Mike

Comment

I thought it might go to the battery but it actually does not.
                    It must go to the battery.

Really need owners with a recently solar-prepped unit (doesn't matter what model of trailer) to take pictures of not only where the wires come together (as shown already in this thread) but the other end of the wires. I'm especially curious about the battery-end of the solar-prep wiring. I want to see the actual wires in an actual trailer, not a diagram.

I've been discussing this offline with a GD representative. Hopefully she'll be able to get a few pics or, better yet, an owner will take some. (I won't be surprised if we see multiple configurations.)

Comment

I’ll take a picture with a multimeter attached to the end of the wires and show if it has power or not. I didnt see any of those two wires going to the battery but I will double check.
                      2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

I just brought home my 2400BH and would love to know the answer to this mystery, the dealer didn't seem to know anything about it. Thanks for investigating!

Comment

Originally posted by soquelchris View Post
                          I just brought home my 2400BH and would love to know the answer to this mystery, the dealer didn't seem to know anything about it. Thanks for investigating!
                          Congrats on the 2400BH and welcome to the forum (I see this is your first post).

Hopefully someone finds these wires and takes a pic!

Comment

I just installed my solar system on Saturday. When I uncovered the same (Solar/INV), all I had was one 10-gauge wire looped (it was just one wire looped through a wire clamp). One end went toward the rear of the camper (with a bunch of other wires and water lines, the other went up, over the pass through storage. At first I assumed that was the end going to the battery (it disappears behind the pass through wall). The give-away for me was that both of the wires for the disconnect switch also went towards the rear of the camper, so I knew the main power back towards the battery was somewhere ran that direction (likely the control center). After cutting in, I checked the end I presumed to be the battery to the battery side of the charge controller, and sure enough, the lights on the controller lit up.

I didn't have a great picture showing that box. I don't like the idea of the controller being so inaccessible behind that box, so I moved everything over to the docking station. Above the 120 AC outlet, is a disconnect switch on the PV side so I can turn the panel off to the controller. Also have fuses before/after the controller which are up in the ceiling area.

My biggest mistake was misjudging how large of wire tubing I would need (in part because I really wasn't sure where I would put the controller, or how many wires would need to fit into it. I plan to get some larger stuff so it's all in one tube so it looks a little cleaner. Finally, I have now ordered the BT-1 transmitter so I can numbers instead of just light indicators.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Setup.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	31797

2021 Imagine 2970RL
                            2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Expectations View Post
                              I just installed my solar system on Saturday. When I uncovered the same (Solar/INV), all I had was one 10-gauge wire looped (it was just one wire looped through a wire clamp). One end went toward the rear of the camper (with a bunch of other wires and water lines, the other went up, over the pass through storage. At first I assumed that was the end going to the battery (it disappears behind the pass through wall). The give-away for me was that both of the wires for the disconnect switch also went towards the rear of the camper, so I knew the main power back towards the battery was somewhere ran that direction (likely the control center). After cutting in, I checked the end I presumed to be the battery to the battery side of the charge controller, and sure enough, the lights on the controller lit up.

I didn't have a great picture showing that box. I don't like the idea of the controller being so inaccessible behind that box, so I moved everything over to the docking station. Above the 120 AC outlet, is a disconnect switch on the PV side so I can turn the panel off to the controller. Also have fuses before/after the controller which are up in the ceiling area.
                              Very Nice. I was planning on putting my controller in the area you describe, but now I'm thinking about doing this. I just need to book a Saturday and actually start. I've been planning this for almost 2 months.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X