No announcement yet.

Transcend Furrion Solar Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt6/ others- I too am new to the site with my Reflection 337RLS. It has the same solar set-up as you describe. In another GD owners forum regarding Solar, the discussions end without a real conclusive answer to the question about disconnecting the batteries while the Solar PV remains connected to the Furrion Controller. I too read the Furrion Controller manual regarding the Safety notice to assure the Controller is connected to the batteries first before connecting the Solar input. I am thinking in the reverse order... that before you disconnect batteries (for me it's winter storage) that you should disconnect the Controller from Solar. As has been noted, there is no apparent disconnect switch. There is the Controller On/Off switch but no one identifies this as the "disconnect" switch. So my question is: is it best for the equipment/ components to NOT disconnect batteries before finding a way to disconnect the controller from Solar power coming in? I am NOT an electrician so am leery about trying to pull Solar PV wires or setting up my own disconnect switch. Hopefully there has been some insight from the others reaching out to GD tech and Furrion support. I see Howard is in this string and I appreciate your previous inputs as well.
    Thank you, Mike
    Mike & Linda
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 Diesel
    Denver, CO

Comment

Originally posted by andyusna77 View Post
      Matt6/ others- I too am new to the site with my Reflection 337RLS. It has the same solar set-up as you describe. In another GD owners forum regarding Solar, the discussions end without a real conclusive answer to the question about disconnecting the batteries while the Solar PV remains connected to the Furrion Controller. I too read the Furrion Controller manual regarding the Safety notice to assure the Controller is connected to the batteries first before connecting the Solar input. I am thinking in the reverse order... that before you disconnect batteries (for me it's winter storage) that you should disconnect the Controller from Solar. As has been noted, there is no apparent disconnect switch. There is the Controller On/Off switch but no one identifies this as the "disconnect" switch. So my question is: is it best for the equipment/ components to NOT disconnect batteries before finding a way to disconnect the controller from Solar power coming in? I am NOT an electrician so am leery about trying to pull Solar PV wires or setting up my own disconnect switch. Hopefully there has been some insight from the others reaching out to GD tech and Furrion support. I see Howard is in this string and I appreciate your previous inputs as well.
      Thank you, Mike
      When you want to disconnect your battery when you have solar power you first want to disconnect the solar PV from the solar controller and then disconnect the battery. To reconnect the battery first connect the battery then connect the solar PV ( I am learning all this from trying to figure out what solar I want to do on our RV). When you have the solar PV disconnected this would be a good time to add a disconnect switch between the solar PV wire and the solar controller to keep from disconnecting the wire when needed, turn the disconnect switch is easier. Also when you remove the solar PV wire make sure to cap the wire, wire nut and tape, if the unit is outside the solar panels will still generate power, another good reason for a disconnect switch.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

New Grand Design owner 2022 303RLS
        Here is the switch I installed to prevent "Battery Over charge" If I don't shut off my solar it continues to feed 14+ volts to the battery even know the battery is fully charge!
        I will be switching over to 6 volt batteries later in the season.
        Hope this helps somebody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Morris Minor View Post
          New Grand Design owner 2022 303RLS
          Here is the switch I installed to prevent "Battery Over charge" If I don't shut off my solar it continues to feed 14+ volts to the battery even know the battery is fully charge!
          I will be switching over to 6 volt batteries later in the season.
          Hope this helps somebody else.
          What solar controller did Grand Design install in your trailer?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1265.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	91054

Comment

Morris Minor -- something's not right. A switch shouldn't be needed between the controller and battery to stop the controller from over-charging the battery. The controller goes through a BULK > ABSORPTION > FLOAT charging process when it's setup correctly (and it's working right). If the controller never comes out of the BULK state (which is what your post leads me to believe) the controller may be malfunctioning.

The manual can be downloaded here (if you don't have one): https://furrion.com/pages/downloads-energy

My .02 is to double-check the settings first. Please report back what you discover.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X