2022 22MLE Solar and Power Systems Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 22MLE Solar and Power Systems Upgrades

A little background for those who don't know us. We've had 8 RVs of which the last 3 have been Grand Design RVs. We first bought our Reflection 337RLS in January 2015 (actually December 30th 2014). We owned that trailer for 6 1/2 years and loved every minute of it. I did a crap load of mods including disc brakes, onboard Onan generator, solar (400 watts), inverter (1000 watts for a limited number of outlets), 2 - 6 volt Trojan batteries, etc. It was fun and worked well for us for 6 1/2 years.

This past June we sold that trailer (recovered the total original purchase price but not the upgrades) to "downsize" and bought a 2021 17MKE. I spent the first month doing solar (400 watts of rooftop), 2000 watt inverter (that we just plugged the trailer into so very simple), and 200 ah of lithium batteries. After 3 camping trips we decided it was just too small for us so we sold it in 1 day. We recovered every penny we spent on it and the mods! What a lucky break for us!

We immediately purchased our 2022 22MLE. We re so excited because it seems to be just the perfect trailer for us. Which leads me to the purpose of this post. Before I even got it home, we purchased it out of state 750 miles away, I started planning and purchasing the components for our latest solar/power system upgrades. As a brief note, this is a recent 2022 build and came with the Furrion 12 volt fridge (so far we love it!), a single Furrion 165 watt solar panel and 25 amp solar charger.

This time out I am "going all in". We are installing 800 watts of rooftop solar composed of 4 200 watt RICH Solar monocrystalline panels, 2 - 206 ah SOK lithium batteries, a VE (Victron Energy) Multiplus 3000 inverter/charger, a VE SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 solar charger, a VE Lynx Distributor, VE 500 amp Shunt (battery monitor) and other goodies. I am removing the existing solar panel and solar charger and will either sell it or maybe convert it to a portable panel and run it through it's own solar charger. I am essentially following an install documented by Nate of Explorist Life.

So far I have procured everything with exception of my fuses which are arriving in the next week or so. I am going to list the items I have completed as of today in a list format, add some pictures and will return with a new list until I finish the project.

1.) Remove the existing 12 volt batteries from the front tongue. NOTE: I will install a diamond plate storage box here which is what I did on the 17MKE and it was very handy.
    2.) Remove the original battery wires and replace with 6 awg wire from the original location over the coroplast to the street side of the trailer and up into the pas through behind the water panel.
    3.) Pull 2 - 25 feet 10-3 Romex wires from an existing hole in the floor behind the power center (fuse panel) in the kitchen area above the coroplast across the trailer, forward and then up through the floor behind the water panel and into the pass through.
    4.) Disconnect to OEM 10-3 from the power center and connect those 3 wires to one of the new 10-3 cables which results in a single run of 10-3 from the power port at the rear of the trailer all the way into the pass through compartment where it will connect to the Multiplus..
    5.) Connect the other new 10-3 to the same positions in the power center the OEM wires previously occupied this will then connect to the Multiplus providing 110v back to the power center.
    6.) Disconnect the WFCO factory converter as it will no longer be needed.
    7.) Run 4/0 black wire down the existing hole behind the water panel into the space between the floor and the coroplast.
    8.) Drill a hole in the frame and using a Dremel tool removed the surface paint from the contact area and fastened the wire lug to the frame for my ground.
    9.) Remove the existing paneling on the forward wall of the pas through compartment and replace with painted 1/2" plywood to provide a mounting surface for all the components.
    10.) Before mounting the plywood I placed all the components on the board laying flat to locate everything and predrill all my mounting holes.
    11.) Mounted solar disconnect breaker box, solar charger, Multiplus hanger and the Lynx Distributor and test fitted the new wall in the pass through.

I should have everything done in the next day or 2 except the solar panels.

A few random pictures that may or may not be in the same order as my above list.

Last edited by Paul & Deb; 11-12-2021, 10:52 AM.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Last edited by Paul & Deb; 11-07-2021, 06:45 PM.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Last edited by Paul & Deb; 11-07-2021, 06:46 PM.
      Paul and Deb Cervone
      2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Ambitious for sure but for a seasoned vet such as you with all the experience with the previous projects I am sure that you have it well planned out.
        Congrats on the "newest" member of your RV family.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Not a lot of progress today. I'm still waiting on a couple items before I can finish mounting everything to the board so I can cut my wires to fit. I did get my batteries secured, modify a small panel to allow for the wires to nicely enter the compartment from behind the water panel and remove the factory installed Furrion panel from the roof. That process reminded me why I never use Z-brackets to mount panels. It took me an hour laying on the roof trying to get a tool on the nuts and remove them! Not fun for this old guy.

Paul and Deb Cervone
          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Today I ran into crazy issues with wiring my new panels as I learned Furrion uses proprietary connectors and you can't buy them! Honest, I called and spoke to Furrion and then got an email this morning saying "so sorry!" Anyway, I removed the roof gland and have a new one arriving tomorrow and I will set it up with MC4 connectors and I'm good to go.

I also got my panels all installed so that's out of the way and will be ready to plug in and make power!

Still waiting on a couple key items to finish the total installation but I'm sure I'll have it done by next week.

What a mess but it will all clean up fine:

Paul and Deb Cervone
            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Pretty stoked today, not so much with my progress but I got deliveries of the key remaining parts (fingers crossed) to finish this thing up over the next couple of days. I did finish up on the roof gland replacement.

Paul and Deb Cervone
              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Paul & Deb

Paul

I am quietly watching from the sidelines as I am thinking of doing a 400 or 800 watt solar install myself. I only have 2 batteries so I will not do a Multiplus (yet), I will just do a solar charger. Being as you have done this a time or two already it probably is pretty easy for you, I am still a rookie so there is a lot of things for me to learn yet. Thanks for posting the build.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The system you are building is very close to what I installed on our 310 gk . When you get it all finished I am sure you will really like it , we love ours!! I would be interested in how you like those SOK's after you use them awhile.
                  Jim , Dianna , Katie , Molly and Sophie
                  2020 Solitude 310 GK
                  2021 F350 6.7 SRW

Comment

So I finished my installation last night and all components are on and working. Everything is on and working. I have accessed my Shunt and set the battery capacity but still need to adjust some settings. I have also accessed my SmartSolar controller and set it to charge lithium.

I still need to purchase something that allows me to change settings in the Multiplus but I'm very confused on what exactly I need. In the meantime it is operating and at least charging as though my batteries are AGMs and the solar will finish them off. Any suggestions on what I need to accomplish this would be appreciated. I don't need or want any colorful displays, etc., I would prefer a Bluetooth module that allows me to make changes and not just monitor.

Without being plugged into shore power I do have full 12vdc and 110vac in the trailer which is awesome!

Here's some final pictures. Oh, I managed to loose the little screws that hold the faceplate on the Multiplus so that pisses me off and I'll try contacting Victron Energy and see if I can get some.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Paul & Deb

I started to read and only intended to ask, "What brackets did you use for the solar panels?" I made a mistake when I did my build--too hard to clean under them without the tilting capability. I need to get this done.

After reading your thread (sorry...just getting to it) I see something else I feel compelled to comment on. Perhaps you know this already...if not I hope you take this as a constructive critique.

The battery being used is capable of 100 amps discharge (maximum). Two in parallel means there is 200 amps available to the Multiplus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SOK.JPG
Views:	2576
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	70184

That means the Multiplus can invert that 200 amps of 12vDC to 20 amps of 120vAC. That leaves 5 amps of Multiplus capability "on the table". What I mean by that is the Multiplus can use up to 250 amps which, when inverted, makes 25 amps of 120vAC (thus the 3000vA designation on the Multiplus... 3000W/120v=25A).

For the picky, yes I know "VA" is different from "W", but let's leave that esoteric discussion for another day.

If there's room, adding another battery in parallel with the original two will give you all the capability the Multiplus can deliver. The lithium's should be new enough that you can still add one without any issues.

If you choose to stay with two batteries, consider restraining the Multiplus to 20A of inverter power to prevent inadvertently driving your batteries into an overload condition. (They'll probably comply for a short period, but then will shut down. Not a good practice IMHO to do it, anyway.)

Meant to be helpful...

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        Paul & Deb

I started to read and only intended to ask, "What brackets did you use for the solar panels?" I made a mistake when I did my build--too hard to clean under them without the tilting capability. I need to get this done.

Howard
                        Yes, what howson asked, what brackets are those. I searched hard for a bracket like shown in the pictures of this post, and could not find something like that. I ordered (but have not yet installed) these Newpowa curved Z brackets. I don't want/need the curved aspect of the brackets, but they were the only 2-piece bracket that I could find which would allow for future implementation of a tilt option. I think they will work with the Renogy Eclipse 100 Watt panels that I have ordered.
                        The Newpowa Adjustable Curved Solar Mount Z Bracket is built to last with the aluminum corrosion-free material. Top branded, perfect off-grid solution, 1 years warranty.
                        Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                        2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                        2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                          Paul & Deb

After reading your thread (sorry...just getting to it) I see something else I feel compelled to comment on. Perhaps you know this already...if not I hope you take this as a constructive critique.

The battery being used is capable of 100 amps discharge (maximum). Two in parallel means there is 200 amps available to the Multiplus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SOK.JPG
Views:	2576
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	70184

That means the Multiplus can invert that 200 amps of 12vDC to 20 amps of 120vAC. That leaves 5 amps of Multiplus capability "on the table". What I mean by that is the Multiplus can use up to 250 amps which, when inverted, makes 25 amps of 120vAC (thus the 3000vA designation on the Multiplus... 3000W/120v=25A).

For the picky, yes I know "VA" is different from "W", but let's leave that esoteric discussion for another day.

If there's room, adding another battery in parallel with the original two will give you all the capability the Multiplus can deliver. The lithium's should be new enough that you can still add one without any issues.

If you choose to stay with two batteries, consider restraining the Multiplus to 20A of inverter power to prevent inadvertently driving your batteries into but they still have an overload condition. (They'll probably comply for a short period, but then will shut down. Not a good practice IMHO to do it, anyway.)

Meant to be helpful...

Howard
                          I appreciate the input a great deal Howard. I'm a "mechanic" and struggle with much of the hows and whys. I'm not likely to add another battery. Unlike the battery you showed, mine are both 206 ah versions but the Maximum Discharge does still remain 100 amps so I will try to find the setting to "restrain" the inverter to 20 amps. Any other advice for setting up the Multiplus are welcome. I get my MK3-USB VE-bus today so I can make changes. As I understand it the Multiplus comes programed to charge AGM batteries so I know I need to at least adjust that.

As far as the mounts are concerned, I have used the AMSolar tilt mounts on all 3 of my installations. I HATE, HATE Z style brackets. They keep the panels too close to the roof and make maintenance near impossible. The AMSolar mounts are pricey without a doubt, even if you don't add the arms for tilting, but they make it so easy to maintain the roof and even replace the panels if needed. In this installation I used the taller "foot" because I wanted to leave the factory Z brackets it place so I wouldn't worry about the roof.

To be honest I seldom tilt them but each time I sold my previous trailers I kept the tilt arms so I've only had to pay for them once It's also really nice to know if I'm going to be somewhere for an extended period and the sun is low, I can get the most out of them.
                          Paul and Deb Cervone
                          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Just found your posts. Great job. I'm using an inverter and running the shore cable to it. I haven't wanted to go to the trouble of running romex cables to the converter yet but your pictures and descriptions really help. I just have an 17MKE with 340 watts on the roof and 400 portable.
                            Jeff & Pam
                            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by prahawalker View Post
                              Just found your posts. Great job. I'm using an inverter and running the shore cable to it. I haven't wanted to go to the trouble of running romex cables to the converter yet but your pictures and descriptions really help. I just have an 17MKE with 340 watts on the roof and 400 portable.
                              Thanks for the compliment.

I had a 2021 17MKE with 200 ah of lithium, 400 watts on the roof and a 2000 watt inverter that I also just plugged straight to the trailers power input port. It was such a nice and simple setup and more than adequate to be honest. I could have easily been very satisfied with that exact setup but I really wanted to give this setup a try myself.
                              Paul and Deb Cervone
                              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X