No announcement yet.

Factory Solar System Reflection 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howard/ other senior moderator- I've been looking further into the requirement regarding disconnecting PV Solar from the Furrion MPPT 50 Controller BEFORE disconnecting the batteries. It seems this is in fact the case. I started to look at videos and instructions on how to install a Disconnect switch. In the course of this, I came across a video that made a very compelling statement about the requirement to have a breaker installed between the PV wires and the Controller. The reference is NEC 2020 Article 690-13 and -13 section (E). Section E defines that reset switches or other common disconnects aren't qualifying. It needs to be a true circuit breaker. This is above my paygrade! Is there a person you may know at Grand Design that is in a Systems Engineering or a Design role that would be involved in Electrical Code requirements that might be able to comment on the validity of the person making these statements? I did read what the Article said and it seems valid? I'm happy to initiate the inquiry with GD but would you know of a person and their contact info given your involvement in these Forums. Thank you much for inputs.

Mike Anderson
    Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500
    Mike & Linda
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 Diesel
    Denver, CO

Comment

andyusna77

Mike,

Other Senior Moderator here,

The RV industry has their very own "codes" to follow, a lot of which is governed by the NHTSA, more governed by themselves, I do not believe that the NEC codes has anything to do with the RV industry. Cate&Rob would have more information on this than me.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by andyusna77 View Post
        Howard/ other senior moderator- I've been looking further into the requirement regarding disconnecting PV Solar from the Furrion MPPT 50 Controller BEFORE disconnecting the batteries. It seems this is in fact the case. I started to look at videos and instructions on how to install a Disconnect switch. In the course of this, I came across a video that made a very compelling statement about the requirement to have a breaker installed between the PV wires and the Controller. The reference is NEC 2020 Article 690-13 and -13 section (E). Section E defines that reset switches or other common disconnects aren't qualifying. It needs to be a true circuit breaker. This is above my paygrade! Is there a person you may know at Grand Design that is in a Systems Engineering or a Design role that would be involved in Electrical Code requirements that might be able to comment on the validity of the person making these statements? I did read what the Article said and it seems valid? I'm happy to initiate the inquiry with GD but would you know of a person and their contact info given your involvement in these Forums. Thank you much for inputs.

Mike Anderson
        Reflection 337RLS
        Ram 3500
        Mike,
        Check out https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...find-out-here/

I searched through NFPA 1192 and found this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	requirements.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	72447

Solar is definitely a low-voltage system, so what is the ANSI/RVIA LV standard? It's actually available at https://archive.org/download/ansi-rv...0Vechicles.pdf

The 2020 version has solar incorporated and defines "low voltage" as <=60v.

An entry that caught my attention.

3-1 General. All conductors shall be provided with overcurrent protection.

Exception #1: Solar panel (photovoltaic module) circuits are considered current limiting and overcurrent protection shall not be required for these circuits if the conductors have sufficient ampacity for the largest available current.

Nothing that I can find in either document requires a disconnect, fuse, or circuit breaker between the controller and panel. I've read (anecdotally) that the NEC code is applicable to "large" solar installations (I don't know what defines "large"). Certainly much larger than anything we'll put on the roof of a GD RV.

Hope some of this makes sense...I learned something by all the reading.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard- First of all, thank you so much for spending the time to identify the information and links to educate me and others on the questions brought forward regarding Solar but more importantly, the components and their integration for making the Solar system work in our GD purchase. The owners manual I received doesn't address Solar. This Forum website is amazing for learning how to take better care of our RV and operate it safely.

My take away from these discussions for Solar is this: Furrion states to assure batteries are connected prior to wiring the Solar PV to the Furrion MPPT 50A controller. Everything I've read also states the reverse- disconnect the Solar PV from the controller prior to disconnecting the batteries (winter storage in CO for me). How to do this becomes the question in that there is no current "disconnect" provided by GD (that has been identified so far?. Hopefully GD recognizes that this should be incorporated in the design and it wouldn't be an effort during the manufacturing installation process. There are after-market options for disconnecting the Panels and Controller which can be pursued and you have certainly provided clarity on what some of these are. Of course, leaving the batteries connected during the winter in CO with all the sunshine is another alternative to consider...

Again, thanks for your time and assistance!

Mike
          Reflection 337RLS, Ram 3500

Mike & Linda
          2022 Reflection 337RLS
          Ram 3500 Diesel
          Denver, CO

Comment

Working...
          X