Best battery + solar set up for boondocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best battery + solar set up for boondocking

If you wanted to get your rig outfitted with maximum battery power, what specific type of battery would you get? I believe I've read something about a converter for the solar panels...?

Is it possible to run the standard 120v(?) outlets, or any appliances, without shore power or generator?

is there a specific generator that works best/recommended with this set up?

I appreciate the help and nsight!
    Carrie and Brian + Indiana and Charleston (dogs)
    2022 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    Home base: Central Texas

Welcome to the group.

Depending on the number of solar panels, you may need an additional solar controller. Most here will point you to LiFePO4 batteries which means you most likely will need a converter upgrade.

As for running AC appliances, simple answer is Yes it can be done. Again, the path you take can be simple (1000-3000W inverter with built in auto switch) or complicated depending on the solution.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

What I have learned when asking about solar and batteries is as follows,

Get as many batteries as you can afford and have the space for. Get a generator, I bought a Champion 2500 duel fuel. As far as solar I only went with 2-200 watt panels as I do not camp in high sunshine areas, being as you are in Texas you may benefit from a larger solar array. The batteries I chose Lion Energy UT-1300, 2 of these. I do not have the full blown Victron Multiplus inverter set up (yet) to go full on off grid but would like it at some point. With a good size battery bank, 400 ah or more, you will get good use out of an inverter. I think with a smaller battery bank you will need to run generator more or rely on solar more. I am pretty new to this so my thoughts may not be the best to draw from. Check out all of the posts in the Solar section as well as the Reference Material in that section, lots of help there.

I also am liking the SOK 206 ah batteries, but I already have the Lion.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by CMartATX View Post
        If you wanted to get your rig outfitted with maximum battery power, what specific type of battery would you get? I believe I've read something about a converter for the solar panels...?

Is it possible to run the standard 120v(?) outlets, or any appliances, without shore power or generator?

is there a specific generator that works best/recommended with this set up?

I appreciate the help and nsight!
        Best advice I can give you right now is to invest $5 or so and get Will Prowse's Mobile Solar Power Made Easy! book. It will take you part-by-part through what is needed and why. Well worth the investment and time so you understand the why behind the what recommendations.

He has an extensive collection of videos on YouTube as well as extensive information on his website. Everything in the book is available online (somewhere) but I found the book very helpful to put it all together.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Solar-.../dp/1546567119

Click image for larger version

Name:	Will.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	78947
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have liked explorist life, Nate Yarborough, who seems to know what he is talking about. YouTube. He refers extensively to code book and safety.

Comment

Working...
          X