Solar/Lithium Batteries/Inverter - Federal Tax Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar/Lithium Batteries/Inverter - Federal Tax Credit

I have installed fourteen 100 Watt Renogy Eclipse Solar Panels, 5 Battleborn Batteries, and from Victron, a Multiplus II 2X120, Cerbo GX, GX Touch 50, SmartSolar MPPT 150/100, and a SmartShunt on my Reflection Travel Trailer. Not counting specialty tools I purchased, the cost for this system was in excess of $10K. One of these days, I'll put together a write-up, but that's a different post.

The good news is that my tax advisor confirmed what I have read on other forums, that I'm entitled to a 26% tax credit. So, assuming the system cost $10K, I'm getting $2,600 taken off my taxes. The IRS instructions for form 5695 specifically state that this tax credit is applicable to "a house, houseboat, mobile home, cooperative apartment, condominium, and a manufactured home that conforms to Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards." My Reflection travel trailer certainly qualifies as a mobile home based on how much time I spend in it.

I'm not a tax attorney, and don't take this as a recommendation or advice, and don't hold it against me if you go to jail, but consider taking this credit. If you installed a solar/inverter system in years past, you can go back and amend your return, I think up to 3 years back. You actually get a higher percentage (30%) for earlier years. For equipment placed into service in 2023, the credit goes down to 22%.

Again, I'm not a tax expert, you do this at your own risk, you should consult a tax expert, and not rely on Internet advice, but it's worth considering.

Jim
    https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i5695
    https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips...ergy/L7s9ZiB4D
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Panels.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	81356
    Attached Files
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Jim,

That's a nice return on your investment!

Jim

Comment

Working...
    X