Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this Jaboni port and where does it go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this Jaboni port and where does it go?

Hello, we have a 2020 Momentum 21g with what I’m assuming they call solar prep. I am in the midst of installing a comprehensive solar system. Have a 12 kWh lithium battery and charger/inverter/controller already installed. The last step is to install the 6 pv panels and wire them. I noticed the jaboni port toward the back right corner of the roof and was wondering if this could be any use to me. Are there mc4 connectors and 10awg wires inside? And if so, where do they go. If I can avoid making my own roof penetration, that would be great.

There should be 10 ga. wire that runs from the port to the front storage, maybe on the passenger side. The Furrion port uses their own connector and it is NOT MC4. I would disregard that port and use your own up front where you could go right down from the roof to the battery area. There are quite a few posts here about these items.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I’ve been all in and around the front storage and have yet to find any solar wiring headed to the roof, just wondering if anyone knows where the other end might be hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by Subfreq111 View Post
        I’ve been all in and around the front storage and have yet to find any solar wiring headed to the roof, just wondering if anyone knows where the other end might be hiding.
        Based on the orientation of the air conditioner in the first picture, that port is over the garage on the aft end of the trailer? But the equipment you've added is in the front passthru (and where the solar controller will be located)? If my (educated) guesses are correct, how does that rear port help?

Maybe I'm missing something...I don't understand why GD installed it on the aft end of the trailer. I don't know of any installs where the solar controller and batteries are in the aft area of a trailer.

If the mystery must be solved, unfortunately none of the 21G drawings give a clue as to what is under that port. You could remove it and look underneath--it should be easy. Gently remove the sealant (don't rip the roof--warm up the sealant with a hair dryer if necessary) and unscrew the port from the roof.

I have no idea what you'll find underneath.

If you have any lessons learned or want to document your install, the details would be most welcome.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Subfreq111 You may find the solar wires near the battery and possibly connected to something like the tire lync system. They are not always terminated and labeled in an easy to identify term. On the 303 the solar prep wires terminate near the battery and are labeled Solar Inv. The easiest way to find ti will probably be the fuse holder that has WAGO connectors on the wires but the wires are not connected together.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

acoleman43 is doing an install on a 21G hopefully he will be along to help you out, here is the thread he started Spring Project Solar Install Momentum 21G - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com).

As I stated before I would not use the Furrion port and certainly would not remove it to see what is in the roof. There should be 2 wires in the front storage on the passenger side behind the water panel up on the ceiling porting , maybe behind a plastic cover, these should be the wires from that port. The Furrion port is so far back on the roof that I would find it hard to believe that the 10 ga wire will handle much amperage from that distance, this is the reason that I suggest to install a new port on the front portion of the roof to have a shorter wire run to the controller. I am not sure if the storage area where you have the battery bank goes clear up to the ceiling of the RV or not, if it does you could just drill a hole on up thru to the roof and then put a port over the holes, check to make sure there is no wiring in the way first.

This may seem a little daunting but it is best to double check everything before drilling or installing so you will know where the wires will be and a path to the controller and battery bank.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here is another thread that may help,Has anyone done this (factory solar mods Momentum 21G) - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jlawles2 To help others in the future, here are my findings. On this model, the rooftop Jaboni port does indeed have male and female mc4 connectors under the plastic cover. Jlawles2 you’re right about the label. Finally found the wire, tied up to the underside of the trailer at the front right corner, it reads Solar Inv. Kinda tucked up behind the front side marker trailer light outboard of the frame. Looks like I’ll be able to drill the floor in the storage and connect the wire directly.

Comment

Subfreq111 I just responded to your reply on my install thread.

Glad you found the wires. My trailer came with a 300W Jaboni panel, a 30 amp MPPT charger and 1000W inverter. The wires from the Jaboni port run through the trusses, to the front of the trailer, down the front then through the front wall into the area under the master closet.

They are 10 awg. That may work for your install because you're wiring all your panels in series.

Goo luck!
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

This info has been very helpful, I found the Jacobi outlet up top and also the 10 awg wiring in the front storage area. I’m really a novice , but I’m thinking that I could attach them to one of the 12 v batteries, the other connection on the roof will attach to the solar panel. One problem, the panel that I ordered comes with a controller box. So now it seems that I don’t use the Jaboni.

Comment

Most panels require you to have a controller. So the panel plugs into the port on the roof, then down to the front bay where the controller then gets hook up, and finally down to the batteries. Don't forget to put in a disconnect switch between the panels and the controller.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X