Factory Solar Wiring Diagrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Solar Wiring Diagrams

New to owning an RV. We just picked up a 2022 Imagine 2400 BH. Finding out a lot our dealer didn't cover during the demo. One thing I can't seem to find concrete information for is what is on the battery disconnect and what bypasses it. Specifically interested in the solar system. I am trying to determine whether the factory solar installation (Furrion MPPT 25 Solar Charger) charges the battery with the battery disconnect off. I've had some issues with battery power that started with not knowing the battery disconnect wouldn't shut off the fridge. However, now I am trying to determine which devices charge the battery and when. The converter seems clear enough but the solar not so much. Is anyone aware if there is a resource for obtaining wiring diagrams for each floorplan. Seems like this would be an easy way to get answers without having to squeeze myself into the front compartment and start pulling everything apart.

Originally posted by Smitty694 View Post
    New to owning an RV. We just picked up a 2022 Imagine 2400 BH. Finding out a lot our dealer didn't cover during the demo. One thing I can't seem to find concrete information for is what is on the battery disconnect and what bypasses it. Specifically interested in the solar system. I am trying to determine whether the factory solar installation (Furrion MPPT 25 Solar Charger) charges the battery with the battery disconnect off. I've had some issues with battery power that started with not knowing the battery disconnect wouldn't shut off the fridge. However, now I am trying to determine which devices charge the battery and when. The converter seems clear enough but the solar not so much. Is anyone aware if there is a resource for obtaining wiring diagrams for each floorplan. Seems like this would be an easy way to get answers without having to squeeze myself into the front compartment and start pulling everything apart.
    There are no wiring diagrams available. From what we have learned the solar does charge the battery when the disconnect is off, I believe that the solar wires go to the small self resetting breakers that are located under the drivers side of the front of the RV, where the a-frame meets the straight part of the frame. The fridge is also supposed to be wired there as well. Unfortunately though sometimes these are wired differently but that is the way it is supposed to be. The fridge should be able to be turned off, the light may stay on for about 3 minutes though but will shut off. If you remove the battery cables from the battery and check the wires at the sefl resetting breakers you will find the "hot" wire from the solar controller, of course the sun needs to be shining for that to work. This will tell you where the solar wire connects.

The battery disconnect is a misnomer as it does not disconnect much. If you want to preserve battery power disconnect the cables, and remember that if the sun shines the solar wires will be "hot".

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Smitty694 -- there's an easy way to verify if the solar controller is wired through the battery disconnect. At night (no PV generated by the solar panel) monitor the front of the Furrion solar controller. There should be some display showing the current status. Now shut off the battery disconnect--does the display go blank? If it does, the controller goes through the battery disconnect. If the controller still has the same display, the battery disconnect does not have any affect. (Note: disconnect from shore power or manually shut of the converter or it may power the controller.)

Also note that most solar controllers have a power-on sequence mandating connecting to the battery bank first, then the solar panels. It may not harm anything if done in reverse but I suggest not trying this test while there is PV being generated from the panel(s).

If that's not clear fire back and I'll try to clarify.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I put in a cutoff switches between panels and controller and controller to battery/coach for this reason and as a safety function when working on any part of the system.
        Last edited by RockingKCranch; 07-01-2022, 08:47 AM.
        2021 GD Imagine 2500RL with 600 watts of Solar added.
        2017 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by RockingKCranch View Post
          I put in a cutoff switches between panels and controller and controller to battery/coach for this reason and as a safety function when working on any part of the system.
          I highly recommend all owners with solar add these cutoff switches, RockingKCranch. Between the battery and controller I used an automotive-grade circuit breaker that's easy to disconnect as the "switch".
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X