Furrion Solar Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Solar Port

I'm looking at adding a portable solar package to my 2020 Reflection 303RLS. It has the Furrion Solar Port on the lower left front of the trailer. Is there a limit to the amount of power that can be ran through the port? I'm looking at purchasing a 230 watt system.

Originally posted by DaChief View Post
    I'm looking at adding a portable solar package to my 2020 Reflection 303RLS. It has the Furrion Solar Port on the lower left front of the trailer. Is there a limit to the amount of power that can be ran through the port? I'm looking at purchasing a 230 watt system.
    If I remember the connector is good for 10 amps. There is a fuse holder located right inside the connector port, the wire size will determine the amps as well but I would check the specs on the connector.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by DaChief View Post
      To put Brian's response in perspective, 230W delivered to a 12V system is nearly 20 amps. Most likely the voltage will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 13.6V, but that's still (230/13.6) almost 17 amps. Too large for that external Furrion connector (assuming that connector is limited to 10A).

The Furrion is a proprietary connector, too, so that limits (without a interconnect cable) your choice to Furrion products. Suggest forgetting about the Furrion port--best alternative would be an alternative meant to work with the 230W system if it will install in place of the Furrion (and wiring is replaced, too, to handle the highest expected amperage). A little more up-front work but worth it in the end so everything works as expected.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

To put Brian's response in perspective, 230W delivered to a 12V system is nearly 20 amps. Most likely the voltage will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 13.6V, but that's still (230/13.6) almost 17 amps. Too large for that external Furrion connector (assuming that connector is limited to 10A).

The Furrion is a proprietary connector, too, so that limits (without a interconnect cable) your choice to Furrion products. Suggest forgetting about the Furrion port--best alternative would be an alternative meant to work with the 230W system if it will install in place of the Furrion (and wiring is replaced, too, to handle the highest expected amperage). A little more up-front work but worth it in the end so everything works as expected.
        Howson, If I read this correctly DaChief is going to buy a 230 W solar panel. If that is correct the voltage will be higher with the amperage lower. If he buys two smaller panels and puts them in series then the voltage will be around 36 volts which reduces the amperage. Am I missing something here?
        Thanks,
        Jeff
        Jeff & Pam
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by prahawalker View Post

Howson, If I read this correctly DaChief is going to buy a 230 W solar panel. If that is correct the voltage will be higher with the amperage lower. If he buys two smaller panels and puts them in series then the voltage will be around 36 volts which reduces the amperage. Am I missing something here?
          Thanks,
          Jeff
          Jeff,
          There's the voltage and current going into the solar controller and then the voltage and current coming out of the solar controller. The latter voltage is adjusted according to the needs of the battery and is where the higher amperage is carried by the Furrion adapter.

For example (it's early so my 1200W setup is generating a whopping 7W) but you can see the two voltages and currents in the screenshot below. Ideally the input V*I would equal the output V*I but for whatever reason there's a difference--the point is the output current going to the battery is higher and will continue to climb as the input from the panels continues to rise.

Click image for larger version  Name:	solar example.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	89477

Remember in a "suitcase" setup, the controller is typically mounted on the back of the panels. The output of the controller is then wired into the Furrion port on the side of the camper.

If the OP is looking at the Zamp 230W suitcase, it does have the controller mounted on the rear of the panels. Also note in the specs it's a 15A controller. The Furrion port is rated for 10A (it was made to work with Furrion's 95W suitcase which I believe is no longer for sale.) All of the Zamp specs are here: https://www.zampsolar.com/products/2...able-solar-kit

Click image for larger version  Name:	zamp.JPG Views:	0 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	89476

From the pic note there's battery clamps on the Zamp's output wiring. No reason the OP couldn't use it as configured directly connected to their battery bank.

Hope that makes sense.

Howard

P.S. Parallel vs series panel configuration affects the input side of the controller, not the output. Since the Furrion wiring carries the output, how the panels are configured isn't a factor.
          Last edited by howson; 07-07-2022, 06:59 AM.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Jeff,
            There's the voltage and current going into the solar controller and then the voltage and current coming out of the solar controller. The latter voltage is adjusted according to the needs of the battery and is where the higher amperage is carried by the Furrion adapter.

For example (it's early so my 1200W setup is generating a whopping 7W) but you can see the two voltages and currents in the screenshot below. Ideally the input V*I would equal the output V*I but for whatever reason there's a difference--the point is the output current going to the battery is higher and will continue to climb as the input from the panels continues to rise.

Click image for larger version Name:	solar example.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	89477

Remember in a "suitcase" setup, the controller is typically mounted on the back of the panels. The output of the controller is then wired into the Furrion port on the side of the camper.

If the OP is looking at the Zamp 230W suitcase, it does have the controller mounted on the rear of the panels. Also note in the specs it's a 15A controller. The Furrion port is rated for 10A (it was made to work with Furrion's 95W suitcase which I believe is no longer for sale.) All of the Zamp specs are here: https://www.zampsolar.com/products/2...able-solar-kit

From the pic note there's battery clamps on the Zamp's output wiring. No reason the OP couldn't use it as configured directly connected to their battery bank.

Hope that makes sense.

Howard

P.S. Parallel vs series panel configuration affects the input side of the controller, not the output. Since the Furrion wiring carries the output, how the panels are configured isn't a factor.
            Howard,
            I fully concur with you. I had assumed there was only a 230W panel going into the plug with the controller being in the pass-through. This makes total sense when the controller is outside.
            When I had my r-Pod I changed out the jack on the outside of the trailer to a better one. There is never enough, is there.

Thank you for the kind response.

Jeff
            Jeff & Pam
            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Working...
            X