Can I use a portable solar panel with my current setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use a portable solar panel with my current setup

We have then factory installed 300w solar with 30amp charge controller and 2000w inverter. We have also installed two 100ah BBs. Is it possible to use a portable solar panel to supplement the solar we have until we upgrade our whole system? If so, how would we do that?
    2017 F350 SRW long bed
    2022 Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R
    300 watt solar; 2 x 100ah BB batteries; GenY pin box with gooseneck coupler

Originally posted by kengquist View Post
    We have then factory installed 300w solar with 30amp charge controller and 2000w inverter. We have also installed two 100ah BBs. Is it possible to use a portable solar panel to supplement the solar we have until we upgrade our whole system? If so, how would we do that?
    Yes, you can use a portable. For example, the Zamp 230W portable (recently discussed in another thread) has it's own controller with alligator clips at the ends of the leads. Program the controller to your BB's and connect the alligator clips directly to the battery bank. It should work fine alongside what is already installed on your RV.

https://www.zampsolar.com/collection...able-solar-kit

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zamp.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	89835

Note I'm not advocating or recommending the Zamp (or not recommending it)--the entry above was made as an example not a recommendation.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Yes, you can use a portable. For example, the Zamp 230W portable (recently discussed in another thread) has it's own controller with alligator clips at the ends of the leads. Program the controller to your BB's and connect the alligator clips directly to the battery bank. It should work fine alongside what is already installed on your RV.

https://www.zampsolar.com/collection...able-solar-kit

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zamp.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	89835

Note I'm not advocating or recommending the Zamp (or not recommending it)--the entry above was made as an example not a recommendation.

Howard
      thanks for the info! that was a great help
      2017 F350 SRW long bed
      2022 Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R
      300 watt solar; 2 x 100ah BB batteries; GenY pin box with gooseneck coupler

Comment

Hey there, this is Kaden at Continuous Resources.

To answer your question directly, Yes. It is possible to add a portable (suitcase) PV module to your system. Essentially what you'll need to be aware of is your charge controller. Are you going to be using a separate charge controller for your suitcase panel? Or are you hoping to add it directly into your system?

Either is possible, but you should be aware that your system is only as good as your weakest link. If your system is running a 300W solar panel, can your charge controller handle an additional load? If it can, are your specifications similar enough to have a somewhat efficient harvesting system?

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to recommend and help in anyway.

Kaden at CR

Comment

Working...
        X