No announcement yet.

Solar Panel Disconnect Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to add my opinion here, not to stir the pot but to recap and amplify the comments, and help consider the bigger picture.

As Steve points out, DC systems act differently because DC arc's are harder to extinguish. AC Circuit breakers, particularly higher voltage ones (240/480V and above AC) also have mechanical typically plastic arc shields built in, to contain arcing when the circuit is opened under load.

The battery disconnect switches operating on 12 or 24 V DC typically don't have arc shields because the arc for low voltage circuits don't draw arcs as big. Arcs are there but they extinguish quickly because the contacts move apart fast enough.

In solar panel circuits the voltages can be added (panels wired in series) to increase power. The Open Circuit voltage of smaller panels lie 600 W are ~85 V as Jim points out. Different panels and configurations of panels have different requirements. One size does not fit all.

The concern I have is, having a switch that could produce an arc, in a compartment right next to hydrogen gas generating sealed lead acid battery, could have a very scary outcome. It is your choice to use a DC circuit breaker or a Battery disconnect switch. The battery switch could be used safely at night or at dawn or dusk when the solar panels are not producing a significant amount of power. I would not recommend using it as an emergency disconnect under full load conditions.

Sealed led acid batteries have a vent to keep from exploding if they produce a large amount of gas. The tube out the top of the case is intended to vent hydrogen overboard.

And sure, if you don't have a sealed lead acid batteries it would be safer.

I was looking into this because the FurrionNet-max solar charger instructions were vague but say be sure to have a battery attached before connecting the solar panels.That implied to me at lease, a switch is required, leading me to this thread.

Sorry if I went into the details too deep.
    Tom H. Bedford, VA
    RVing for 30+ years 4 fifth wheels and one motorhome

2021 F250 SB - Fifth Super Duty
    Reflection 280RS

Comment

Working...
    X