Messing with the Awning? PIN IT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messing with the Awning? PIN IT!!!

So hard not to write something that will get me in trouble with my fellow moderators (I want to use a string of words that would make a flightline maintainer blush). Also hard to post this as it is very embarrassing to make such a stupid mistake. BUT...to not share my foibles (along with my triumphs) paints an inaccurate picture of the life of this imperfect DIY'er.

Today I started the process of replacing the awning fabrics on the 9100 series Dometic powered awnings on my 315RLTS. I watched YouTube videos, I read manuals, I was PREPARED. Nope. Instead of pinning the spring end of the awning (like I was supposed to do) I thought I was ready to catch the support as it was unbolted from the arm and then manually unwind the spring tension per a YouTube video I'd watched. (Note I take full responsibility for my actions. No one else is responsible for my stupidity.)

Well, that YouTube guy must have hands like vice grips, because after one turn the support end with the spring tension got away from me and slammed into the back of my hand. Thankfully I was smart enough to put on heavy protective gloves or I'd probably be in an Emergency Room with a crushed hand. As it is I've only got a really awesome bruise (yes, it hurts) and one slightly damaged ego.
    The really fun part is that after the tube spun out of my hand it broke both of the supports (left and right) on the tube as it crashed to the ground. By "supports" I mean the part that gets bolted to the arms. Now I get to figure out how to replace these parts (or buy a new awning). All to save a few minutes because it was "too hard" to pin the tube.

The moral of this story? PIN THE (content edited to stay within forum rules) TUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The picture below shows the slot on the outside and, when aligned, the slot on the inside where the pin must go through. It's not easy to align these holes, but do it anyway. Until it's pinned, DO NOT unbolt the spring end (left, or opposite side of the motor) side of the awning. Never. Ever. Unless you've got a grip that would send The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) to his knees.

It took hours and several adult beverages to work up the courage to write this post. I hope it saves someone from making the same mistake I made today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pin it.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	104942

When the new awnings are installed (it may be a bit) I'll post the results.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Hi Howard,

There is not a one of us who has not skipped a step in a repair process . . . Only to later realize . . . That’s why they said to do that . Good to learn that you were not injured. I have more than a few scars to show for my decisions on similar short cuts. Also a good reminder to be careful with what you “learn” from YouTube vs the repair manual.

Something to think about . . . how important is a “power” awning? Many long time RV owners describe how they wish they had the heavier construction manual awning that was on a prior RV, with legs that could be tied down in a moderate breeze and expected to survive . . . rather than the light weight and fragile power awnings on newer RVs. If you have to replace it anyway . . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Howard,

Good that you weren't seriously hurt. We've all made a mistake from time to time and the lesson learned is never forgotten. Looking forward to your setting this up in the future and learning how this is done.

Jim

Comment

Geez Howard, you made me twitchy with your awning gutter rail repair thread... now this. I think you've convinced me to leave the awning stuff to the dealer.
        Glad to hear no serious injuries... bummer on the pride. Thank you for posting... these are the shared experiences and learnings that bring tremendous value to the forum.

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

howson I have been there. I bent an arm and when taking it apart I was sure it was spring loaded but I let my father in law convince me it was not. We were up on ladders and when it let loose it did a number on his hand. Also wound up being just a nasty bruise but boy it could have been a lot worse. Take it easy and heal up.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I guess we need to take up a collection for Howards safety supplies for when working around awnings. As stupid as they look, there is a reason they are pushing them https://www.amazon.com/MAGID-TRX400-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== our field guys hate them because the fingers are too thick to allow for screwing the hydraulic couplers on power packs but they do help with back of the hand injuries.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Our very first TT was a "project" to say the least. The awning tube was bent and the fabric was junk. I found all the parts, scrounged from junk RV's and my dealers junk pile, and proceeded with the project. My dealer stated that when winding the springs do so with extreme caution. I can not remember the exact times the springs needed to be wound but when I got to that point I was scared, that was the first one and there was one more to go. I got the project done with no damage to the RV or myself but vowed then and there that if there was a next time someone else can do that job.

Glad there was not much physical damage, a bruise is much better than the alternative.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Being a retired flightline maintainer and instructor, I can only imagine.

I have developed a, shall we say, a very healthy respect for the damage and chaos an awning can deliver. On one of my first outings with my previous camper, I managed to get the trailer stuck between two trees and rip the rear awning completely from the coach. The entire awning, including: tube, supports, fabric, lighting, and hardware had to be replaced. On a trip about two years ago, I managed to get a finger pinched between two of the support arms and ultimately ended up doing a do-it-yourself amputation of about 2/3 of my right pinky finger in the process. Spent about 90 minutes talking with On-Star while my wife was trying to get me to a hospital. Ended up telling them to send Fire/Rescue to where we were and let them take me from there. That incident taught me two things. First, awnings can and will bite you when you least expect it. Second, know where the nearest hospital is located, because On-Star doesn't really know.

I spent the rest of my time as an AMT instructor explaining how I lost part of a finger while I was on vacation (which was supposed to be safe), not while I was working on the flightline (which as you know sometimes isn't all that safe).

I'm glad to read that you weren't seriously injured. I hope you heal up quickly and the repairs turn out to be smaller than you think.

Don
                Don & Linda
                (and Golden Retriever "Chase" and Dachshund "Trixie")
                2022 Reflection 315RLTS Acquired August 2022, build date April 2022
                2019 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Comment

The financial hit is $270. To get the left and right Top Casting ( the parts I broke ) that's what I had to order.

Name:	Top Casting.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	105068

Name:	output_image1675698265806[1].jpg
Views:	293
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	105069
                  Parts are coming from Michigan RV Outfitters. If you call them directly you (might) get a 10% discount off the internet prices you'll see on a popular auction website.

Michigan RV Outfitters
                  337 South Meridian Rd
                  Hudson, MI 49247 United States
                  michiganrvoutfitters@gmail.com
                  517-610-8419​

Comment

The cost of a safety pin? .59 cents at Ace Hardware.

Name:	pin.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	105075

Name:	pin 2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	105076

Comment

Howard,

I believe every one of us can look back after an accident and show how easy, cheaply or painlessly it could have been done over. I'm looking forward to you putting this together to save folks from making a mistake.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X